U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am relocating at the end of November and will have my new office in one of three locations- Citrus Heights, Rocklin or on Howe Ave in Sunnyvale. Is there a central location to these three? My supervisor seems to think that they are all 20 minutes from each other and it doesn't matter which area I choose to live because it will be an easy commute either way. I'm not so sure about this! I also need to register my daughter for school, and obviously want to be in a safe area. One final question- is Sunnyvale an actual town? I know Rocklin and Citrus Heights are more suburban areas.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would be SO greatful!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 PM

759 posts, read 1,747,569 times
Can you beg beg beg for the Rocklin address? That would be a good area for you. To be the closest to all three and have good schools I guess I'd have to say Roseville. Check on here for specific advice on Roseville neighborhoods, though. Don't live in Citrus Heights since you are not familiar w/ the area... it is too hit or miss. Pray that you don't get the Howe Ave office-although it is close to the lovely East Sac or charming Arden Park, it is not located in the burbs which is a slam dunk for a single parent looking for public school... and also could you find out where on Howe you may be? Hopefully it is close to 80 in which case I would say that Roseville is your centrally located suburban city. I assume your child is elementary aged and not attending private school?? Again, top choice, Rocklin... which would be for if you get Citrus Heights or Rocklin location.

Oh yes, and although obviously there was a misunderstanding, Sunnyvale is located in the bay area, not the Greater Sac area. Howe ave is a MAJOR Sac avenue, though, so obviously that must be where you were referring to.

good luck!

Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM

8,388 posts, read 15,248,977 times
Howe Avenue is mostly outside the Sacramento city limits--it is technically in Arden-Arcade, a "census designated place" (it has a name but not a city government) in between Sacramento and Citrus Heights/Rancho Cordova. But yes, as hydro mentions, Sunnyvale is a town in a totally different part of the state. Citrus Heights and Rocklin are incorporated cities, but it's pretty hard to tell them apart--they are fully built out suburban neighborhoods, but Rocklin started as a little railroad town and Citrus Heights incorporated after being built out.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 AM

210 posts, read 237,921 times
Roseville is known for having a great school district and great homes. Some areas are a bit pricey, but just about the whole town is nice. I would shoot for that area for sure. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM

409 posts, read 826,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating to Sac View Post
Hi! I am relocating at the end of November and will have my new office in one of three locations- Citrus Heights, Rocklin or on Howe Ave in Sunnyvale. Is there a central location to these three? My supervisor seems to think that they are all 20 minutes from each other and it doesn't matter which area I choose to live because it will be an easy commute either way. I'm not so sure about this! I also need to register my daughter for school, and obviously want to be in a safe area. One final question- is Sunnyvale an actual town? I know Rocklin and Citrus Heights are more suburban areas.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would be SO greatful!!!!
Best choice would be Rocklin. work and live in the same town with low crime and access to good schools.

Lincoln outside of Rocklin might be a good alternative as well if assigned to the Rocklin office.

Rocklin has lower crime and the schools are more consistent versus Roseville. Yet, Roseville is close to enjoy the retail and dining options in Roseville. Below resource can be useful in comparing cities in terms of crime and schools...(it wont be useful to compare unincorporated areas in terms of crime but the other data is still useful such as school info).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Gold River is another option if assigned to Citrus Heights or Howe Avenue office...it's not too far to Citrus Heights, commute to Howe would involving traveling along Highway 50 heading west (Gold River is close to Highway 50). Good K-8 school which serves the community. It's served by an HOA (some people like HOAs others don't). Personally, I prefer living in an HOA to ensure the community looks uniformly tidy. You can use the below resource for getting an idea of Gold River...

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If you plan on buying you may want to look at Ziprealty or Redfin to see what's available in your target areas.

If you plan on renting... Craigslist would be a good source for rentals. Just a ballpark figure for Rocklin, Roseville and Gold River for a house would be $1700 and up.

There are other areas close to the office locations you mentioned but more research would be needed to find low crime areas with good schools.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited by Yac; 11-21-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM

80 posts, read 176,713 times
How old is your daughter? When you get transferred here, will you still be seeing someone?

Where in Howe Avenue is the office located? Most of the office on Howe Avenue are pretty close to Campus Commons. Sierra Oaks, Mariemont, Del Dayo, Deterdine, Mission Open School are all excellent elementary schools and the commute to where these offices are on Howe Avenue is a breeze. You have your choice of excellent high schools in close proximity like Rio Americano, Mira Loma and El Camino.

If you are single with a daughter, you might actually want to be closer to restaurants in Midtown in terms of just making new friends and finding places to actually meet a significant other. Of your office locations, the Howe Avenue location is just going to give you the most places to live near stuff to do for someone with out a spouse.

Rocklin is a lot like Valencia. A lot of it was built out since the 1990's. Its not a terribly bad place. Its safe. But for date nights your options might be something more like Appleby's or TGIF Fridays? Are you cool with that?

Roseville is kind of hit or miss. There are new parts like East Roseville (the better you get the closer you get to Granite Bay) and West Roseville that are nice because they are new, but the older neighborhoods in Roseville leave a lot to be desired. The neighborhoods near 80 and the train tracks leave a lot to be desired ( I certainly would commute to or from these neighborhoods for the schools.)

I am not a big fan of Citrus Heights myself. Its not bad. You can find plenty of neighborhoods that are perfectly safe there, but I thought it was pretty boring.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 PM

5,105 posts, read 8,369,821 times
I agree with the majority of posters here - the best choice is Rocklin/Roseville. I can't think of anywhere off Howe I would want to live unless it's a gated community or planned development. Yes, there are some very weathly areas near there, but they are surrounded by the type of older 'hood you may not want to live in.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,590,031 times
Campus Commons is nice, Sierra Oaks is nice, Arden Park is nice. Sierra Oaks is nice. Arden Oaks is very nice. Garden of the Gods is nice. Sierra Oaks Vista is nice. Del Paso Manor is nice. Selby Ranch is nice. Willhaggen is nice. Willhaggen Estates is nice. Mira Loma is fair. Mission Oaks is nice. North Edison is nice.

I would avoid Howe Edison, Marconi North is hit or miss. Marconi South is hit or miss. Bellview is hit or miss. Fulton El Camino is to be avoided. Arden Garden to be avoided. Encina mostly to be avoided. Northrop hit or miss. Woodside is fine. Just south of Woodside and just west of Sierra Oaks along the part of Howe Avenue that is in the City of Sacramento is Campus Commons and that neighborhood is nice.

http://ardenarcademap.com/ardenarcad...hborhoods.aspx

Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM

111 posts, read 157,790 times
Roseville High School would not be recommended. They are now on the "No Child Left Behind" track because their tests were so low. They are allowing transfers to others schools because of this.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM

31 posts, read 54,841 times
It depends on what you're looking for. Rocklin is fine, but I can think of three neighborhoods near Howe that I would prefer over Rocklin in a heartbeat: Arden Park, Wilhaggin and Sierra Oaks. They're more interesting to me and near the American River Parkway, which is awesome if you like to run or bike. They can be more expensive than Rocklin, however.

The very distant third place to me would be Citrus Heights.

I disagree with your supervisor that it doesn't matter where you live. You will want to find out exactly where you'll be stationed - in the morning, it could easily mean a 30-minute difference in your commute.

Also, not sure what "Sunnyvale" refers to; as far as I know, there is no Sunnyvale neighborhood in Sacramento. Orangevale, perhaps? That would be near Citrus Heights and not terribly far from Rocklin, but a significant distance from Howe Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or