Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,956 times

Advertisements

Can someone please advise me???

The climate change experts say> it is not a matter of major flooding in Sacramento due to climate change: it is simply a matter of when.

I currently rent a mobile home in S Sacramento and need some ideas as to where it would be safe to live in the future. I am 71 years old, widow, no longer driving, and have 2 small doga.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

jazzjoliejenna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
It's not just climate change that can flood Sacto. It's also the possibility of a levee break from age or earthquake.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,297,853 times
There are plenty of areas in Sacramento County where flooding isn't going to be a problem. Most of the suburbs east of Watt Avenue and north of the American River where the elevation is higher than the levee. The exception being along some of the creeks. Most of Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights and Orangevale is on higher ground and not subject to flooding from levee breaks.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjoliejenna View Post
Can someone please advise me???

The climate change experts say> it is not a matter of major flooding in Sacramento due to climate change: it is simply a matter of when.

I currently rent a mobile home in S Sacramento and need some ideas as to where it would be safe to live in the future. I am 71 years old, widow, no longer driving, and have 2 small doga.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

jazzjoliejenna
I don't think "climate change" is going to affect you, in all honesty.

A levee failing is the only type of major flooding I would worry about around this area. Of course localized flooding due to a clogged storm drain or a small creek could be a problem if you're right next to the source.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
There is a FEMA floodmap around that shows the risk. Your hazard is a levee break, not a rise in sea level.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,956 times
Default safe area for swf considering climate change

Thanks,

I am aware of the levee threat, but I read info from an expert that said the rising seas will
affect the large rivers and the delta, and that will effect Sacto.

Thoughts????

Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM

371 posts, read 637,378 times
You saw that New York Times interactive map, didn't you. It's at What Could Disappear - NYTimes.com for those who are interested. Sacramento/Northern CA is in the sixth row, I believe.

The flooding risks it talked about are spread out over hundreds of years. If you look at the top of the page, you have the option to choose different sea level rises based on predicted time: 100-300 years, and so on. The smallest increase, which has 4% of southwest Sac submerged (assuming a 5-foot sea level rise), is from a forecast for levels for 100-300 years from now.

For you, then, levees and rain-swollen rivers are going to be bigger threats.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:50 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjoliejenna View Post
Thanks,

I am aware of the levee threat, but I read info from an expert that said the rising seas will
affect the large rivers and the delta, and that will effect Sacto.

Thoughts????
Depends on how long you expect to live. In the next 20-30 years, there is a chance of flooding if there is a levee break, but rising sea levels won't necessarily become an issue within our lifetimes, assuming lifetimes don't get much longer. There is a risk of flood from levee break or heavy rains--water flows downhill, not uphill, and we're downhill from the mountains, not the ocean. If you plan on living a few more centuries, you might want to start investing in real estate in the foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento