Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times

Advertisements

Okay so the older child goes to private, that opens your options. Are you planning on the same for the younger child in elementary? If not, then you want to move to Roseville or possibly look for a magnet elementary in, say, hollywood park and then go private for upper grades. If you are sending your little one to private, then you could go East Sac, Land Park, Roseville, or anywhere east of Roseville. Roseville is the most reasonable commute to all of the places you need to go. As you go east, (granite bay rocklin loomis auburn) it gets more white, so that is your negative there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 06:48 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
omg, u2, Anatolia? Why on earth would you recommend Anatolia to people who are needing to be mostly north of the American river on the I-80 corridor? The endorsement sort of loses its value when it begins/began to look desperate.
The OP asked for info on Anatolia. Does that clarify things for you?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:14 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosac13 View Post
wburg - he will cover UCDMC Sacramento and Sutter Davis. The private school is in Carmichael. I have been looking in the Land Park and East Sacramento areas, but haven't been able to convince my husband to like the houses. He doesn't like older houses.

Samoi 137 - the first month or so he will be spending a large amount of time at all hospitals. He has to do a certain amount of cases at each of them to get his full privileges. After that, he will operate out of one hospital usually from 9-5, but when he's on-call he could be called out to any of the hospitals at any time. We don't want to spend more than $4,000 a month.

Does anyone have any information about the Anatolia or Westlake areas?
Quote:
omg, u2, Anatolia? Why on earth would you recommend Anatolia to people who are needing to be mostly north of the American river on the I-80 corridor? The endorsement sort of loses its value when it begins/began to look desperate.
Hydro...see above...and my reply to the OP may have been too lengthy for you to read through especially given your dislike of Anatolia but some people value information. If you read the last part of my reply you'll see that I did not "endorse" living in Anatolia but recommended considering other neighborhoods closer to the hospitals mentioned, UCDMC and Sutter Davis.

Quote:
Okay so the older child goes to private, that opens your options. Are you planning on the same for the younger child in elementary? If not, then you want to move to Roseville or possibly look for a magnet elementary in, say, hollywood park and then go private for upper grades. If you are sending your little one to private, then you could go East Sac, Land Park, Roseville, or anywhere east of Roseville. Roseville is the most reasonable commute to all of the places you need to go. As you go east, (granite bay rocklin loomis auburn) it gets more white, so that is your negative there.
"Getting more white" is not the negative. Some suburbs near Sacramento are mostly white and minorities can feel equally comfortable in those locations. I'm part of a mixed race marriage and both my wife and I are healthcare professionals. Most people in the health professions are so "acclimated" to dealing with different races and cultures (especially in CA like the Bay Area) that you can tune out your prejudices/biases and treat the person as an individual. You take into account a person's ethnicity/race as a means to develop a treatment plan. However, the reality is not all people can think of people they encounter as individuals....Both of us have encountered some people in Roseville that seem uncomfortable with minorities (you can go on Yelp, for example,and search for racism in Roseville...lots of comments). Personally, we like Folsom and El Dorado Hills. Both have lower crime and the schools are uniformly good compared to Roseville and have never felt uncomfortable shopping or dining in those suburbs. However, as the OP wanted advice on places close to UCDMC and Sutter Davis (perhaps the need to travel to Roseville and Auburn Hospitals will be less frequent) and as mentioned by other posters including myself there are better options than Roseville, Anatolia, Rocklin, Loomis, etc.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,802 times
Default Update-1

Hi all,

So I wanted to update our situation so that others moving to Sacramento would get more information and perspective. We arrived here at the end of January. We followed the advice to rent first. We are presently in the Westlake area in a gated community. Living here is good. The neighbors are really really nice. The first week we were here the neighbors came over and introduced themselves. The thing I noticed about Sacramento is that a nice area will be close to a bad area so going to a store may be a little intimidating. El Dorado Hills and Folsom are nice. The nicer areas of those two cities seem further away and isolated from the bad areas. I haven't been to Davis or Granite Bay yet so I'm not sure about those cities.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
There aren't any "bad" areas in Folsom or EDH. I can think of 2 areas in Folsom that could possibly be considered "bad", but not like Meadowview, South Sac or Del Paso/So Natomas bad.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,282,794 times
Granite Bay isn't a city.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 AM

BTW, welcome !!!!

Have fun exploring!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 AM

6 posts, read 8,802 times
caligirl - thanks for the welcome. What two areas would you consider bad in Folsom?

wburg - thanks for the correction.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Welcome to Sacramento. My wife was raised there and I spent my last 20 working years there. Being from Las Vegas did you go on sensory overload with those things called "trees?" To my mind, Sacramento and environs have something to offer almost anyone. Not at all a bad place to land. Enjoy!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosac13 View Post
caligirl - thanks for the welcome. What two areas would you consider bad in Folsom?
On the map it's called "Alice Wild" or "Natomas Gardens". It's an older area bordered by Natomas St, Wales Dr & Duchow. The houses are smaller & have big yards. It just hasn't kept up with the newer parts of Folsom. There are a couple of streets that look "run-down", especially near the older condo's by the corner of Natomas & Wales, and on the streets just east of Trader Joes (at E Bidwell & Montrose). It is the most affordable (<$275k) SFH area currently. Many of the residents of this neighborhood get really upset about the reputation and disagree, and a lot of people are purchasing homes & fixing them up, so pride of neighborhood is increasing. It's not that bad as you can see from the pictures below.

This is a typical house in Alice Wild:
http://www.estately.com/listings/info/604-wales-dr
http://www.estately.com/listings/info/270-market-st--2

The other area I would say is across the river, and at the extreme border of Folsom & Orangevale. It's just a small area west of American River Canyon & Orangevale. I don't see any homes for sale in this area. ARC is beautiful, with large tree'd lots, but the majority of shopping & schools is across the river, so there is a lot of driving for families on that side of the river.

Again, these areas are NOTHING like "bad" areas you'd find in South Sac. There are no gangs here, except bored rich kids who do stupid things. Oh, and except those who come in via light rail...although service to Folsom shuts down pretty early to keep out the bad elements.

Here are a couple of typical Folsom homes:
http://www.estately.com/listings/info/2009-larkhall-cir
http://www.trulia.com/property/31071...olsom-CA-95630
http://www.trulia.com/property/31121...-95630#photo-2

Folsom is an awesome community! Especially if family-oriented activities or access to outdoors sports is a need.

Last edited by caligirlz; 03-16-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento