Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM

7 posts, read 15,376 times

Advertisements

I need some help/advise. I have been renting my apt for almost 2 years now. I am on the upstairs floor. I have had tenants live in the apt below me in the past. The apt below me recently got re-occupied like a month ago. The tenant downstairs complained about us being noisy the first week and i got a notice. Couple weeks later, i was cleaning my patio and she was outside, and asked me not to wash it. I had just poured half a jug of water,and she found a need to go complain in office, and i got another notice. a week later, it rained and she complained that there is water leaking in her apt, which is coming from my patio. The office folks entered my apt and put a plastic cover on my patio without my knowlege or consent. i come home from work and there is a plastic cover all over my patio. Unfortunately that night the wind blew the platic and ripped it. next day i got another notice on my door from the office mgmt that i took the plastic down and they will bill me for the damages. nxt day apt mgmt / folks entered my apt again without my knowldge and consent and put a tarp over my patio. I am indian and we have a prayer place outside. The tarp made it hard for us to pray. That weekned it stormed hard, and the tarp even got torn apart and blown away. i took pictures and took a few videos of my patio when it was pouring rain. two days later when the rain calmed down, my husband fixed the tarp on our patio. Last Friday i come home from work and there are two guys in my apt. total shock to me. they had been in my apt all day, and i had no idea. There was a notice on my door that maintenance was going to work on my patio, trying to fix the leak on Saturday, December 8th. HOwever, those guys were in my apt on the 7th, all day. On top of that they had moved my stuff in my apt. they took big frames of our gods down, they moved my big pot plants etc.. i was very mad. Felt very violated. Each time they had come in my apt it h as been without my consent and wihtout my knowledge. I was being as coorperative as i could..but last friday it went over board. To top it off, the maintenance manager said he can enter my apt anytime they want. What can I do? Can i Sue them? Can I file a complain? i do not feel secured at all. I feel violated and harrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 11:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Entering without your knowledge or without notice, or giving notice but entering on the wrong day, is definitely not okay, as is messing with your property.

Here's a bit about tenant rights:

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California

A nonprofit that might be useful:

Regional Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission

Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM

7 posts, read 15,376 times
Can i take them to court?

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Entering without your knowledge or without notice, or giving notice but entering on the wrong day, is definitely not okay, as is messing with your property.

Here's a bit about tenant rights:

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: California

A nonprofit that might be useful:

Regional Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission
They can enter anytime if there is an emergency. Water is going to be considered an emergency and failure to investigate the cause of water or leaks would be considered negligence.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,152 times
in am in 2 YR LEASE WITH TWO ROOM MATES AND 1 IS VERY VERBALLY ABUSIVE TO BOTH OF US. i NEED TO KNOW MY RIGHTS REGARDING BREAKING MY LEASE AND FINDING A SAFE PLACE FOR ME TO LIVE

Old 01-15-2014, 11:40 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
READ THE LEASE/RENTAL AGREEMENT!!! It's a legal contract that should spell out everyone's obligations, and their options for terminating that contract.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
My problem is extremely noisy tenants behind me. We share an entire wall, so no matter where they are in their apartment my son and I hear them. They seem to be up all night and day. We hear lots of banging and yelling. One of the tenants that lives there has a voice that is so loud that we hear her even without the yelling. I have complained to the apartment manager and constantly call security at night to try and put an end to it. Security says that they can't hear anything. I have invited them to come into my apartment, but I am told that they are not allowed to do that. This has been going on for about 6 months. I can't sleep due to the noise level. I have 6 more months on my lease. The managers are afraid that the other apartment tenanats are going to yell discrimination due to their ethnicity. Do I have a right to break my lease because I can't deal with this much longer?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Try the housing mediation center at McGeorge. I am sure if what you described is legally sufficient to break your lease, but I imagine the people at the mediation center probably would know.

Pacific McGeorge Housing Mediation Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento