Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:08 PM

85 posts, read 216,506 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Another catch is one of my kids has autism (I posted about this on a different thread) so schools are important for special ed resources in addition to the typical high achieving, high test score stuff that most people think of. Does the light rail run near Sutter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Sutter Memorial is in East Sacramento, Light Rail is a bit farther south but there is a shuttle that runs from light rail stops to Sutter.

http://www.sacrt.com/images/hospital...s_Shuttles.pdf

However, the neighborhood immediately around Sutter Memorial is a highly desirable residential neighborhood with good schools. Theoretically you could live within walking distance or a short bike ride.

The UC Davis MIND Institute is located in Elmhurst, the neighborhood just south of East Sacramento, as part of the UC Davis Medical Center campus.

UC Davis MIND Institute

Old 12-19-2012, 03:49 PM

27 posts, read 77,785 times
Your best bet for an easy commute and an excellent school district would be any of the nicer neighborhoods in the San Juan Unified School District feeding into Rio Americano H.S. Anything along the north side of the American River starting with Sierra Oaks and running east toward Ancil Hoffman Park. Arden Park, Arden Park Vista, and Arden Oaks are also choice addresses zoned to Rio Americano and within your budget. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM

409 posts, read 957,420 times
If you can live near work in a nice neighborhood with good schools...sounds ideal. I think your budget will allow that.

You can get an idea of academic performance in Sac County, Placer County, etc

Highest CST English Scores, Proficient and Above (2012) in Sacramento County - California Schools Guide - Los Angeles Times

Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Another catch is one of my kids has autism (I posted about this on a different thread) so schools are important for special ed resources in addition to the typical high achieving, high test score stuff that most people think of. Does the light rail run near Sutter?
Not really. As wburg mentioned, there's the shuttle but you're looking at over an hour from Folsom if you're relying on the Goldline versus around a 30 minute drive. It's really up to you to weigh the so-called massive effects on one's health and well-being of a 30 minute drive versus over an hour on public transit. That's obviously something ryuns and I disagree on. If you're working at the hospital in a medical capacity, rush hour likely isn't much of a concern. The AM shifts generally start early enough you'll beat the rush hour.

You don't HAVE to go out of Sacramento. It's very difficult for high schools since most of the good neighborhoods don't have a large enough population of high school students to have one, but East Sacramento, Land Park, and Pocket are all options with good elementary and middle schools. The problem is high school. There's Sac Charter, however, if that route is an option.

There's also Davis. I really don't know much about autism resources in the schools, but I'd suspect Davis would be better than most. Unlike Folsom/Roseville, you could actually use the bus door to door depending on the hours you work. If you start before 7 a.m. however I would highly recommend driving as to me the massive health and well-being effects of a two hour bus ride or much worse than a 30 minute drive. I'll admit that being a bicycle proponent, I'm rather biased when it comes to Davis. But it is a nice college town as well. Great schools, parks, nice little downtown, new library. It leans strongly liberal whereas things get progressively more conservative as you go east from Sacramento.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:39 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's really up to you to weigh the so-called massive effects on one's health and well-being of a 30 minute drive versus over an hour on public transit. That's obviously something ryuns and I disagree on. If you're working at the hospital in a medical capacity, rush hour likely isn't much of a concern. The AM shifts generally start early enough you'll beat the rush hour.
Sorry to the digression OP: While I don't disagree that there's definitely a trade-off between X minutes commuting solo and X + Y minutes on public transit, that's not really what I said. I compared a commute from "up the block" vs one from El Dorado Hills. That's a pretty uncontroversial benefit. Not sure if you were implying that the claim of adverse health effects is spurious by adding "so-called" in front of it, but the research is pretty clear. Granted, a lot of the negative effects may simply be due to having less free time for healthy activities, which may just as bad or worse on public transit. We agree on many things and I enjoy most of your (non-snarky) posts, so I'm a little confused by the tone of that one. No worries though.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,247,479 times
Sutter Memorial is shutting down soon and they will move to the new building downtown so your commute will be to around 30th and P st. FYI.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 AM

31 posts, read 63,458 times
Aquaboy is right - I forgot about that! In that case, you'll be near a lot of public transit. And upscale neighborhoods immediately south of downtown like Land Park and Curtis Park should get more consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento