Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM

19,115 posts, read 16,499,129 times

Advertisements

Thank you ryuns. I wasn't offended. Like you, I don't like discussing the subject online either and for the very same reason. People misinterpret something you say and it ends up in a heated battle. However, no one will ever confuse my comments regarding someone carrying a concealed weapon to a celebration. There is no reason for it, period. Further, it leads me to believe that the person with the weapon is anticipating a problem which also puts into question their mental stability. (if that makes any sense at all )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

771 posts, read 1,575,401 times
Californians voted to keep the death penalty... of course, its not being carried out, but I think that if we had the courage to actually carry it out - and to expand it to circumstances such as this where there is clearly a shooter, tons of witnesses, no doubts at all - if we want to crack down on gun violence, the death penalty should be automatic for any gun crime that ends in murder... and no endless appeals - a little over a 100 or so years ago, this guy would be hanging at dawn shortly after killing innocent people like this.

We should not be afraid to go to public celebrations, have to frisk people down, etc. because of what was probably a snot butt gangbanger killing two. Swift and severe punishment is a far better deterrent than locking people up.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM

40 posts, read 62,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
Californians voted to keep the death penalty... of course, its not being carried out, but I think that if we had the courage to actually carry it out - and to expand it to circumstances such as this where there is clearly a shooter, tons of witnesses, no doubts at all - if we want to crack down on gun violence, the death penalty should be automatic for any gun crime that ends in murder... and no endless appeals - a little over a 100 or so years ago, this guy would be hanging at dawn shortly after killing innocent people like this.

We should not be afraid to go to public celebrations, have to frisk people down, etc. because of what was probably a snot butt gangbanger killing two. Swift and severe punishment is a far better deterrent than locking people up.
I won't get into any other issues, but just out of curiousity, why would the DP be automatic only for a "gun crime" that ends in murder -- why not for the very similar Fabian/Esteban Nunez case a few years ago, which was done with knives? Arguably, that was an even clearer cut case, where the thugs went to get their weapons and came back, implying a much greater premeditation, than this one, where one can argue (I am NOT) that it was in the heat of the moment. And a gangbanger with a knife in a crowd can pull it, stab someone silently, and get away with much less notice. Again, I'm not defending this murderer; the accounts I have heard are that the victim was actually bumped by a woman causing his drink to spill on her, and even after he apologized (for her mistake) she called over friends to start a fight. She should be prosecuted aggressively if that is the case.

I don't own or plan to own a gun, and I'm all for a healthy factual debate on various weapons, deaths (of innocent people), what exactly is self-defense, bar behavior and how to address thugs with hair-trigger tempers. And it is certainly valid to focus on guns as a particular weapon that can in some situations be more destructive than others -- but that are also better than other methods in other situations used responsibly for protection. It just has to be a comprehensive discussion focusing on the best outcome for innocent people in all situations, including both crimes committed and prevented with weapons of all sorts.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 PM

771 posts, read 1,575,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmcd View Post
I won't get into any other issues, but just out of curiousity, why would the DP be automatic only for a "gun crime" that ends in murder -- why not for the very similar Fabian/Esteban Nunez case a few years ago, which was done with knives? Arguably, that was an even clearer cut case, where the thugs went to get their weapons and came back, implying a much greater premeditation, than this one, where one can argue (I am NOT) that it was in the heat of the moment. And a gangbanger with a knife in a crowd can pull it, stab someone silently, and get away with much less notice. Again, I'm not defending this murderer; the accounts I have heard are that the victim was actually bumped by a woman causing his drink to spill on her, and even after he apologized (for her mistake) she called over friends to start a fight. She should be prosecuted aggressively if that is the case.

I don't own or plan to own a gun, and I'm all for a healthy factual debate on various weapons, deaths (of innocent people), what exactly is self-defense, bar behavior and how to address thugs with hair-trigger tempers. And it is certainly valid to focus on guns as a particular weapon that can in some situations be more destructive than others -- but that are also better than other methods in other situations used responsibly for protection. It just has to be a comprehensive discussion focusing on the best outcome for innocent people in all situations, including both crimes committed and prevented with weapons of all sorts.

I'm for expanding and enforcing the death penalty - period - when murder, especially pre-mediated, or rage related like this one was, is involved. And for getting rid of "humane execution" - hang these fools in public, put it on cable - make the punishment appropriate to fit the brutality of the crime.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,956,893 times
Ron White's opinion...Good Texas Boy

Ron White Texas Death Penalty - YouTube

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,638,937 times
I don't really care about the death penalty one way or the other (I don't too tied up in the ethics enough to oppose it, but it's also not particularly effective), but as long as we're quoting comedians (NSFW):

Bill Hicks: "Thou shalt not kill.. *Oh, unless you really want to." - YouTube

Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's just shameful what's happening in this country. Doesn't seem there is anyplace people can go to enjoy themselves without fear of some nut-job with a gun coming there to hurt others.

Glad that you both stayed away.
I dunno. From my perspective, when it comes to consistent events such as this, this seems more like a California thing. Sacramento, in particular.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Or a New Year's Eve thing. Two people were killed by gunfire in San Francisco the same night, one an adolescent on Fisherman's Wharf. And the shooter had recently moved here from Oakland.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM

19,115 posts, read 16,499,129 times
It's not just California, it happens everywhere in the country. But just maybe it's in the news more because it's California and everyone seems to watch what goes on in California.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's not just California, it happens everywhere in the country. But just maybe it's in the news more because it's California and everyone seems to watch what goes on in California.
Such acts do occur across the U.S., sure. However, the randomness of the act and/or location does not seem to happen nearly as often as it does in California. I'm talking about in a singular location, mind you, not just in general.

I am from Sacramento, so perhaps my view is skewed.

And for the record, the rest of the country is not in love with California as much as California thinks it (they) are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento