U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM

23,601 posts, read 33,022,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
There are more important questions--like "how do we pay for it?" and "is the team even staying here?" that should get answered first--this whole discussion is still barely theoretical brainstorming, let alone a coherent plan.
And you still have to deal with the Maloofs who are far less than coherent.

Whatever! Just get it done then see if KJ can "mayor" about anything relevant to the rest of the city, or dump his sorry self. I know there are other issues that need to be addressed more "universal" than those of a relative handful of rabid NBA fans.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM

12 posts, read 45,310 times
Looks like the sale is going through to Seattle. It requires final NBA approval of course, but everyone is saying it's just a formality at this point.

Kevin Johnson is saying a counter offer to keep them in Sac will be presented to the NBA Board of Governors meeting, but analysts are doubting a group can be assembled that would make an appealing enough offer to stop the sale.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM

13,860 posts, read 24,605,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeskier View Post
Looks like the sale is going through to Seattle. It requires final NBA approval of course, but everyone is saying it's just a formality at this point.

Kevin Johnson is saying a counter offer to keep them in Sac will be presented to the NBA Board of Governors meeting, but analysts are doubting a group can be assembled that would make an appealing enough offer to stop the sale.
Yeah, things certainly don't look good for us right now.

However, I'd keep a few things in mind before declaring this over:

- If we have an equivalent financial offer, and major deep investor, that needs to be considered
- Unlike Seattle in 2008, we had an agreement for a new acceptable arena for the NBA team
- Seattle doesn't have an acceptable NBA arena at this time either

If the offer by Sacramento actually is equal to the Seattle agreement, then not keeping the team in Sacramento starts to look like spite by the Maloofs.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 PM

2,085 posts, read 3,406,926 times
If these magical 20 investors quickly putting up a million each pans out, then aren't we back at the same place--who's paying for the new arena that the Kings demand?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 AM

13,860 posts, read 24,605,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
If these magical 20 investors quickly putting up a million each pans out, then aren't we back at the same place--who's paying for the new arena that the Kings demand?
I believe they'll revive the old proposal, at least financially.

On another front, respected sports writer Sam Amick wrote this about the needed "heavy hitters" in USA Today:

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, 24-Hour Fitness Founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle - who is part owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins - are in serious talks to collaborate on a bid to buy the Kings... The fact that the two men are willing to join forces is seen as significant by Sacramento supporters.

Sacramento Kings hope they have their money men

Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM

I think the lack of a recent arena plan would be tough for Sacramento to overcome. Seattle has already approved the plans for the new NBA arena to be built, and they have no issue with pulling together money or trying to get anyone to agree to it.

With that being said, crazier things have happened, and it's not over until someone sings...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM

8,375 posts, read 15,216,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I believe they'll revive the old proposal, at least financially.
The old proposal was based on $75 million from the Maloofs, and $255 million from future city parking revenue even though expected revenue was less than $255 million. I think we can rule out a team contribution, so we're looking at a funding gap. Meanwhile, the transit center project which was supposed to go on the Railyards site before the arena idea popped up, has moved forward, so the arena would have to go somewhere else--presumably K Street, but there hasn't been much work there other than preliminary renderings of ICON's plan.

I assume KJ plans on yanking that half-cent sales tax revenue increase from police and fire, although that's only for six years and he'd need 30.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,308,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The old proposal was based on $75 million from the Maloofs, and $255 million from future city parking revenue even though expected revenue was less than $255 million. I think we can rule out a team contribution, so we're looking at a funding gap. Meanwhile, the transit center project which was supposed to go on the Railyards site before the arena idea popped up, has moved forward, so the arena would have to go somewhere else--presumably K Street, but there hasn't been much work there other than preliminary renderings of ICON's plan.

I assume KJ plans on yanking that half-cent sales tax revenue increase from police and fire, although that's only for six years and he'd need 30.
That seems like quite an assumption, doesn't it? He'd clearly end up in court. If KJ wants to raid the general fund, selling/leasing the city parking assets would do essentially that. Meanwhile, AEG has said they're still in, a new ownership team may or may not negotiate on a share of the arena (the NBA was loaning the Maloofs the money--I'd doubt they'd repeat the offer), and JMA has said they're open to ideas about DSP. All of these items coming together does seem pretty dang far-fetched, but it doesn't seem any single one is definitely a dealbreaker. Of course, that says nothing about whether it would represent a good idea!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM

I think when it comes down to it, the NBA is going to make the decision based on what is most profitable for the NBA, and probably doesn't care too much about how Sacramento feels about it. Seattle is a much larger market for attendance, and TV viewership. Plus, they have an entire section of their city based on stadiums that has done incredibly well, and the approval of this arena is already done.

K street plans coming together before the March 1 deadline for the move application seem incredibly unlikely.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM

771 posts, read 1,415,729 times
Actually, the Kings leaving is a bigger positive than anyone realizes - I mean, asides from gangbangers and Hollywood celebrities, who from the rest of society actually *attends* NBA games anymore? Most of the league is thugs, the sport attracts thug spectators, we are MUCH better off with the damn team outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or