U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM

23,601 posts, read 33,022,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Attendance for all basketball teams is a small % of the city, kind of comes with the territory when looking at arena capacity.

What % of Chicago residents attend Bulls games???
Beats me! But perhaps the big, Windy City can afford them. Comparitively little Sacramento can't and Sacramento is the topic, isn't it? You're to be commended for your loyalty nonetheless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
Hey KJ, since I know you read these boards, when you talk to Mr Ellison, can you ask him if he'd like to headquarter his next company (we'll take an existing company too!) in our fair city? For some reason, I feel like that will benefit us a tad more than a sports franchise. Because seriously, Curmudgeon's broken record gets a little tiring, but it's clear that the mayor is an ambitious and tireless dude and can get the ear of a lot of important people. If he could get someone to talk about starting their "next big thing" here, or at least explaining to us all the reasons they're not starting their next big thing here so we could, y'know, fix them, that would seem like a good use of his time.
Yeah! Almost as bad as a rabid sport fan's. But we still have 12 relatives living in Sacramento and I think they would trade better and safer streets for the Kings any day - a concept that seems to be lost on KJ and others. Go figure!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,308,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah! Almost as bad as a rabid sport fan's. But we still have 12 relatives living in Sacramento and I think they would trade better and safer streets for the Kings any day - a concept that seems to be lost on KJ and others. Go figure!
I was just operating on my general principle that when I happen to agree with you, I have to make some kind of disclaimer about it, snarky or otherwise.

But seriously, convincing your 12 relatives to vote for different politicians is probably a lot more effective than filling the local message boards with essentially the same message at least four times in the same thread. It doesn't really bother me, but I do, as I said, have to stick with my principles.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I was just operating on my general principle that when I happen to agree with you, I have to make some kind of disclaimer about it, snarky or otherwise.

But seriously, convincing your 12 relatives to vote for different politicians is probably a lot more effective than filling the local message boards with essentially the same message at least four times in the same thread. It doesn't really bother me, but I do, as I said, have to stick with my principles.
Well, that would require actually contacting them, wouldn't it? v As for the rest, I'm old. We tend to get forgetful and redundant.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,308,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, that would require actually contacting them, wouldn't it? v As for the rest, I'm old. We tend to get forgetful and redundant.
Well, I suppose it's quite generous of you that you care so much for the safety and smooth roads for people you don't actually speak to.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I suppose it's quite generous of you that you care so much for the safety and smooth roads for people you don't actually speak to.
I'm a real humanitarian!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM

6,802 posts, read 5,415,850 times
Is the rumor true or is it just leaked posturing by the Maloofs to try to get a better stadium deal etc again?

When The NBA Realized That The Maloofs Were Being Ridiculous - Sactown Royalty

Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM

8,375 posts, read 15,216,909 times
The leaked rumor does help the Maloofs by encouraging Sacramento Kings supporters and the Mayor to pull all kinds of crazy stunts, suggesting to the folks in Seattle that they had better be ready to bid upward. It's basically the same as an eBay seller having a friend with a "shill" account bidding up the price on an item in order to start a bidding war and get a higher price for the seller. The problem is you can only bid up so far before the real buyer bows out. Unfortunately for the Maloofs, it's pretty unlikely that a Sacramento group will be able to put together a coherent bid that will match Seattle's (even accounting for relocation costs etc.) let alone put together an arena plan (the new plan is in a different location that has received almost zero study, the old arena finance plan was two-thirds imaginary and one-third from people who don't have a reason to chip in anymore.)

So yes, of course they are posturing, but the bid from Seattle is real.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 AM

13,860 posts, read 24,605,764 times
I'm not so sure Sacramento won't be able to put up a fully competitive offer against Seattle's:

Billionaire Ron Burkle has taken his interest in the Sacramento Kings all the way to the top.

Burkle met with NBA Commissioner David Stern for two hours at the league's New York headquarters Thursday, NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed Friday...A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press earlier this week that Burkle, a Southern California-based businessman and co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins, was in "serious talks" with 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov to collaborate on a counteroffer for the Kings.

Ron Burkle meets with David Stern in pursuit of Sacramento Kings - ESPN

Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Yep! The kabuki continues uninterrupted. Reminds me of Nero fiddling while Rome burns! I wonder if KJ has a toga in his wardrobe.

Burkle talks to NBA commissioner about Kings, arena - Business - The Sacramento Bee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or