Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 34,592 times

Advertisements

I am on the fence now of buying a home in the Sacramento area, I live in Vegas now but love the weather, lakes, rivers and oceans of Cali, however the soon to be new gun laws will make me a criminal or just sell my guns, so now I am not sure if I will bring my money to Cali and buy a home..

Also I own a business in Nevada and planed on one there to create jobs and revenue but sorry Cali I think I am changing my mind..

Its a damn shame because I like Cali but giving up more of my little rights left in this country has me looking else where..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

73 posts, read 140,821 times
I don't understand the mindset out here. Most of California welcomes taxation and a progressive culture, but our rights slowly erode away as the government restricts our free will a little more each day. I'm all for states' rights, so it is what it is and I don't see California changing anytime soon. I just shook my head when I read the proposed legislation for gun control in California. I found it funny that there are so many restrictions on the legal gun owners, e.g. bullet taxation, yearly CCW training, mandated liability insurance, etc., all things that make it harder for the good guy. Basically, the bad guys win again as the good guys have their hands tied with government regulations.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,227,748 times
You should probably check beforehand to ensure that nothing in your collection violates California's already-strict "assault weapon" laws--there are many weapons that are banned by make and model, and other combinations of features make a firearm an "assault weapon" and illegal to bring into the state, even if you already own it. Magazines larger than 10 rounds are already banned.

There haven't been any new gun laws passed yet, and we'll see if any of them survive to passage. None of the things mentioned by "Tex N Cal" are actually laws yet--so those restrictions don't actually exist, and with any amount of luck, they won't happen, or at least the most odious. We already have the strictest gun laws in the country.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,579,091 times
First OP you need to go here with regards to the gun laws. Then visit the calguns forum if you really want to know whats going on day by day with regards to guns and gun laws in California.

Calguns Foundation Wiki

I wouldn't let some restrictions on the type of guns I can own be the overriding factor on where I was going to live. And I am an avid gun owner and RKBA activist donating time and money.

True there are a myrad of restrictions, seemingly stupid and arbitrary gun laws in this state. However the absolute variety of natural beauty that abounds can be found nowhere else in the US.

If you can find a place to keep your restricted weapons out of state then go play with them in Nevada.

Also dont think that stricter guns control laws can't come to a State like Nevada.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM

9 posts, read 34,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
First OP you need to go here with regards to the gun laws. Then visit the calguns forum if you really want to know whats going on day by day with regards to guns and gun laws in California.

Calguns Foundation Wiki

I wouldn't let some restrictions on the type of guns I can own be the overriding factor on where I was going to live. And I am an avid gun owner and RKBA activist donating time and money.

True there are a myrad of restrictions, seemingly stupid and arbitrary gun laws in this state. However the absolute variety of natural beauty that abounds can be found nowhere else in the US.

If you can find a place to keep your restricted weapons out of state then go play with them in Nevada.

Also dont think that stricter guns control laws can't come to a State like Nevada.
I will be keeping a close eye on this law in the coming months, as to Nevada and striker gun laws ??, it will be many years before Nevada gets like Cali, its still the old west here and gun laws like the one being proposed today will have a politician removed from office in a new york minute..

If one has the money they can own full auto weapons here, but have to keep it under lock and key at a approved gun store..

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,524,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
I am on the fence now of buying a home in the Sacramento area, I live in Vegas now but love the weather, lakes, rivers and oceans of Cali, however the soon to be new gun laws will make me a criminal or just sell my guns, so now I am not sure if I will bring my money to Cali and buy a home..

Also I own a business in Nevada and planed on one there to create jobs and revenue but sorry Cali I think I am changing my mind..

Its a damn shame because I like Cali but giving up more of my little rights left in this country has me looking else where..

You shouldn't let the gun laws alone prevent you from enjoying the best California has to offer. Seems a bit silly and shortsighted to me.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,908,477 times
California has such strict gun control laws because people voted for them or didn't vote against them.

Californians gave up those rights, no one took them away.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,967,840 times
I don't get the fascination with guns. I can understand if you use them for target shooting or hunting, but personal protection? fear of a government takeover?

I've lived in some real bad areas, and have never felt the need to own a gun (but I have smacked an intruder with a baseball bat and sent him to the hospital)

Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,227,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
California has such strict gun control laws because people voted for them or didn't vote against them.

Californians gave up those rights, no one took them away.
Firearm laws are rarely, if ever, proposed as amendments that voters can vote on. They are passed by the state legislature. So, no, the state government took those rights away.

Then again, California actually has appeal other than loose laws regarding gambling, prostitution and firearms. Other than that, Nevada's primary claim to fame is being a state that the United States government decided wouldn't get much uglier if we dropped a few atomic bombs on it.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,545,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmac View Post
I will be keeping a close eye on this law in the coming months, as to Nevada and striker gun laws ??, it will be many years before Nevada gets like Cali, its still the old west here and gun laws like the one being proposed today will have a politician removed from office in a new york minute..

If one has the money they can own full auto weapons here, but have to keep it under lock and key at a approved gun store..
How is it you know how to spell Nevada but make a cute(not) nickname for a state we love in this forum. I have worked in Nevada and I seen the hatred that many have for California there. You listen to the traffic reports and they are always blamed on Californian drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento