Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM

39 posts, read 167,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Annual Housing Authority Inspections are no longer standard practice in cities like Oakland.

A new program is being phased in that will increase inspections of properties that have failed and allow inspections to be skipped on property with a clean inspection record.

Just remember that Habitability is defined by statute in California... Withholding rent is also defined.

Anyone contemplating rent withholding would be well served to consult with a lawyer... Non-Payment of rent is often the basis for eviction.

Also a property may become Uninhabitable through no fault of the owner... anyone that lived through the Loma-Prieta Quake remembers hundreds of homes being red tagged and owners also suffered huge losses.
Please accept my apologies. I thought this person was in Sacramento. So sorry! I live in Sac County and own rental housing in the city, too. Our annual inspection program is very much still in operation and mandatory. Also, as a property manager, I have on two occasions had to facilitate motel fees for tenants who had not paid rent in months. But again, Sac, not Oakland. OOPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 12:23 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shulamith View Post
Please accept my apologies. I thought this person was in Sacramento. So sorry! I live in Sac County and own rental housing in the city, too. Our annual inspection program is very much still in operation and mandatory. Also, as a property manager, I have on two occasions had to facilitate motel fees for tenants who had not paid rent in months. But again, Sac, not Oakland. OOPS!
Absolutely no apology needed...

I've found HUD programs vary and are constantly evolving... No knowledge how it operates in Sacramento... although, I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to implement new inspections system nationwide as a cost cutting measure.

My experiences are limited to Alameda and Contra Costa Counties and cities.

I miss the old days when the Housing Authority was responsible for maintenance, evictions and damages for units under contract.

Many changes have been implemented in the 30 plus years I've been with the program... almost a 180 shift of responsibility from the Housing Authority to Owner.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM

155 posts, read 274,675 times
Default Small claims court has its downside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I generally come down on Landlords for not taking care of business. I've read your post several times and do not understand why you would move into a place not meeting your expectations?

When Your Unit Needs Repairs

First, you should notify your landlord in writing regarding repairs that need to be made to your unit. State that you want a response within a reasonable amount of time (5 to 10 days).

Then, you should contact the building or housing inspectors for the city in which you live. These inspectors normally do not charge a tenant for the inspection. Obtain a copy of this report and keep it for your records.

AB 647 Chapter 109 Became Law on January 1, 2004.

This law states that a property owner in the State of California MAY NOT demand rent, collect rent, give a rent increase notice or issue a three day notice to pay rent or quit IF:
1. A rental unit substantially lacks water proofing, gas facilities, hot and cold water, heating, electricity, sanitation or garbage receptacles: contains lead hazards, or is declared substandard because the conditions on the property are a danger to the tenant and/or the public.
AND:
2. An appropriate public agency inspects the premises and notifies the landlord of his/her obligation to repair the substandard conditions
AND:
3. The property owner does not repair the problem for at least 35 days after he/she has been notified
AND:
4. The tenant did not cause the substandard condition.

Tenants may enforce these rights in a regular civil action or in a small claims action. The court can order a landlord to fix the property. If a landlord is found in violation of this law, he/she may be liable for money damages, attorney's fees and costs of a lawsuit.

Note: If your unit has a dangerous habitability problem, please be aware that the building inspector has the right to "red-tag" your unit, meaning hat the unit will be boarded up and you will be forced to leave with very little notice to you. (In serious cases, an inspector might order you and your family to leave immediately).

You may also choose to withhold your rent until the repairs are made. If the rent is withheld, the landlord may serve you with eviction papers. You must then appear in court to defend yourself against eviction by proving in court that your unit has very serious and dangerous habitability problems. If the judge decides for the landlord, the tenant will loose his unit and will have an eviction against on his credit reports. This will make it very difficult to rent another unit. Because rent-withholding puts a tenant at substantial risk, we recommend that a tenant go to small claims court instead. This way, if he/she loses, which must always be considered as a possibility no matter how strong the case may seem, the tenant will not lose his/her home
Keep in mind that the plaintiff in a California SC court has no appeal (trial de novo) rights, but the defendant does. Also, discovery is very limited. You have the option to sue in "economic litigation" limited jurisdiction civil court, where you have your full panoply of rights, procedural and substantive. But you will need to be hands on and up to date on the Rules of Civil Procedure. The filing fees are more costly, and you have the danger of liability for the other party's costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento