U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM

25 posts, read 206,973 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for an apartment. I have completed the application, providing my SSN and driver license # to authorize a credit/criminal background check.

Then they said that once that is approved, they will need copies of my driver license, pay stubs or tax returns as proof of income and a copy of my social security card. I'm fine providing all other documents but the SS card. Why the heck do they need that? Is this legal?

Can I politely bring this up to the landlord that I'm not comfortable with them having a physical copy of my personal information?

Thank you all for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:44 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,039,608 times
Social Security Numbers - California Office of Privacy Protection

Old 04-08-2020, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 338 times
I have lived in the same apartment for 3 years now. My original landlord recently sold the apartments which means we have a new landlord. The new landlord is handing out papers for everyone to fill out asking for our bank info and copy of drivers license and social security card. I filled out the paper without putting my bank info. I did give him a copy of my drivers license but when I gave it to him, he looked it over and said he still needed a copy of my social security card. I don't understand why he needs this so bad considering I've already been here for 3 years. Can he evict me if I refuse to give him this?

Old 04-08-2020, 03:34 PM

16,678 posts, read 35,032,194 times
I'm a landlord, and I would say he can't evict you for THAT particular reason, but under CA laws your landlord doesn't need to give you a reason for termination of a month-to-month tenancy. All he need do is present you with either a 30-day (for less than a year's tenancy) or 60-day (for tenancy of a year or more) notice to vacate. If you refuse or ignore the notice, the eviction process can proceed.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 779,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious70 View Post
I have lived in the same apartment for 3 years now. My original landlord recently sold the apartments which means we have a new landlord. The new landlord is handing out papers for everyone to fill out asking for our bank info and copy of drivers license and social security card. I filled out the paper without putting my bank info. I did give him a copy of my drivers license but when I gave it to him, he looked it over and said he still needed a copy of my social security card. I don't understand why he needs this so bad considering I've already been here for 3 years. Can he evict me if I refuse to give him this?

https://caltenantlaw.com/california-...-eviction-law/

Old 04-08-2020, 09:02 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,923,887 times
It is legal for him to ask and your free to say no, but don't expect to be approved unless you provide a copy. He likely just wants to verify the info you gave on the application.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 PM

301 posts, read 72,983 times
I wonder if people sell SSNs to illegals. But really the way I see it, everyone and their brother ask for SSNs: electric, cable, etc... everybody wants the SSN, yet we have so much identity theft. If you need to rent an apartment or turn on utilities, you need to give it up. I dislike it but it's a fact of life here in the USA at least, in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento