Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:11 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
To the person that asked- don't take invest advice from anyone on the internet.. Please speak with a financial advisor (there is most likely one at your bank- just ask) and to this poster -if you are registered you know you can't give advice like this.. And really, mutual funds at 4-5%??
LOL! Well of course he should speak to an advisor. I did not tell him to go put $10k on anything specific. He asked for some general advice and I gave him some areas to research that I have researched myself.

And there are a TON of mutual funds that give a 4-5% return. I mean, even the most basic google search would show you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
LOL! Well of course he should speak to an advisor. I did not tell him to go put $10k on anything specific. He asked for some general advice and I gave him some areas to research that I have researched myself.

And there are a TON of mutual funds that give a 4-5% return. I mean, even the most basic google search would show you that.
i'll just say past performance isn't an indicator of future success on mutual funds..

Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM

264 posts, read 413,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc2013 View Post
I just wanted to bump this thread. Almost 2 years later and I still haven't bought a house. Though I haven't been actively looking in the last year.

I do want to start making some offers again this year. I was just looking for input from anyone who has been involved in the market. How does it compare now versus 1-2 years ago?

What's your overall opinion on how things are looking for 2015?

Thanks.
Sorry to hear you still haven't found a home. But hey, it could be worse, i.e. Bay Area.

We looked for about 5 months late last year before finding a place by UCDMC, we basically kept lowering our expectations (down to a 2/1) since we didn't want to sacrifice geography.

Inventory seemed lacking in Q3-Q4 2014 where we were looking (Sac city vicinity), we pounced on our house on the MLS listing day and locked the seller in at above asking, with $0 closing cost, despite having found a few fixes.

If you're looking for a forever home don't give up just keep looking. If you're just out for a 3-5 year home to trade up, you should probably widen your parameters. We ended up sacrificing space for location, but we also won't be here for too long. Any interest rate increase might slow down price increase, but it appears to be going upwards.

I've been keeping an eye on MLS, spring inventory is coming on and the viable options appear to be flying off the shelf at the 300-500k range, which is unseasonably busy for January. Can't speak for elsewhere but my local area is still low supply, pint up demand.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
i'll just say past performance isn't an indicator of future success on mutual funds..
Actually it is. 4-5% is a conservative rate of return on a standard fund that has a balanced diversification of investments with varying levels of risk. They do this to hedge against wild fluctautions in value. There are plenty of funds which will give you 4% yr after yr after yr.

If you want a bigger return of 20% or more but considerably more risk, you could try a fund that holds all of its investments in something like foreign energy corps. Then of course you are also at risk to lose everything you put in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento