Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM

117 posts, read 149,863 times

Advertisements

For all you long time Redding residents I'd like to ask if you of you think that your town is up to date on most modernize medicine? In other words, if someone gets cancer can it be treated there or do you have to put them on a hay wagon and make the trip to San Francisco. Whoops - I mean't 'Frisco.

I am serious though. Are the hospitals and health care facilities pretty modern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 12:43 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,846,485 times
Not sure what you mean by "modern medicine."

How about Shasta Regional Medical Center? They have a range of services, a nationally recognized diabetes program, the only certified stroke & chest pain accredited hospital in NorCal.
About Us | Medical Center in Shasta County

Or there is Mercy Medical Redding
http://redding.mercy.org/index.htm

Old 01-24-2015, 04:14 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Not too many Redding residents here (this is the Sacramento subforum) so you might try the California general forum to reach more Shasta County folk. But since Redding is the largest city between Sacramento and Portland, so it is effectively the major medical center for the northern end of the state. I think they're about the only city in the region with a trauma center, so serious injuries tend to get flown there unless one is far enough south to go to Sacramento or far enough north to go to Portland via life flight.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
I hear that they still bleed patients to cure them. And leaches. I mean, seriously? Modern medicine? My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and subscribes to a service that places completely up to date information on her iPad.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:24 PM

117 posts, read 149,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I hear that they still bleed patients to cure them. And leaches. I mean, seriously? Modern medicine? My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and subscribes to a service that places completely up to date information on her iPad.

My question was a serious one. If I stay in California it will probably be in Redding or one of the surrounding communities. This spring I will be visiting for the first time and I plan on staying close to a week. When I return I will file a complete report here on City-Data. I've lived in Bakersfield and Fresno so Redding is going to have to try real hard to beat them. You do know in which way I mean?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post
My question was a serious one. If I stay in California it will probably be in Redding or one of the surrounding communities. This spring I will be visiting for the first time and I plan on staying close to a week. When I return I will file a complete report here on City-Data. I've lived in Bakersfield and Fresno so Redding is going to have to try real hard to beat them. You do know in which way I mean?
The bar is set that low, huh? I'm sure you'll be able to find a witchdoctor or two. Calling Doctor Bombay!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,154 times
Hi there, I'm a local medevac pilot who also does many hospital transfers both in and out of Redding. I just happened across your post today because I'm considering moving to the Sacramento area. While I'm just a pilot, and not medically trained, I can tell you that It's rare for us to transfer a cancer patient out of the Redding area(I used to transfer many more cancer patients in other parts of the country). Most of our hospital transfers that leave Redding, are trauma patients that need the Level 1 trauma services of UC Davis. This would lead me to believe that cancer care in Redding is of some kind of decent standard.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 PM

49 posts, read 83,253 times
I would only go to Shasta Regional Medical Center as a last resort for any illness. I'm not going to elaborate on all the reasons why but some Google searches will give you some clues. Also just a lot of anecdotal stories from friends and family. Mercy is good.

My only experience with cancer treatment is when my wife was diagnosed with Stage 0 cervical cancer, or pre-cancerous cells. We were sent to Sacramento for treatment. After a minor operation (performed in Redding) she has been cleared of cancer for now but will have to have a hysterectomy at some point once we are done having kids.

When my daughter's thymus gland was larger than normal we were looking at having to go to Oakland for treatment. It turned out she was ok and we didn't end up having to pursue treatment in Oakland.

I feel like Redding's medical services are pretty good but for more serious illnesses you're probably looking at making trips to Sacramento or the Bay Area. I'm certainly not an expert though.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:37 PM

21 posts, read 26,455 times
Hi Another place,
Any follow up, as to the whole move to Redding? Considering it myself for my young family, and need as much info as I can get before going up there to check it out.
Thank you!

Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 26,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Place View Post

Hi there,
Just wondering on your full report? Did you end up going up there for a week?
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento