Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

815 posts, read 2,693,946 times

Advertisements

Roseville/Placer County with it's pod-people inhabitants continue to live up to their reputation of mind-numbing ignorance and intolerance. What can one expect from an area that has more Evangelical churches then Starbucks??
------------------------------------------------

FROM KTXL FOX 40:

ROSEVILLE-

Smooching and holding hands may not seem like a big deal, but two men were asked to leave the Westfield Galleria in Roseville, Calif. Saturday for doing just that.

“I kissed him on the cheek. That’s how my boyfriend and I show affection,” said Daniel Chesmore.

Sitting on the couch at 21-year-old Chesmore’s parents’ home in Roseville, he and his boyfriend Jose Guzman, 24, share a few kisses while holding hands.

“This is exactly what we did at the mall on Saturday,” Guzman said.

When a security guard confronted the couple about it at the Galleria, they began recording.

“If you continue to kiss, you will be asked to leave the mall. Period,” the voice on the recording said.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 03-05-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,814,275 times
please post the link. Plus isn't it copyright violation per CD to post the whole article?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,814,275 times
Interesting, only news 40 is reporting this...no other local news source, but many other pro-gay media sources are. It could've happened... We have a couple of 21 year olds claiming it did...Roseville is pretty conservative...I suppose if you feel really strongly about it you could join the planned gay kiss-in.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,645,636 times
SacBee picked it up as well, but no one else has the original quotes from the couple. Westfield's response was standard and classy. I'm a big advocate for gay rights, but these types of stories are difficult to judge. It's clearly a "he said, he said" situation where one party feels they were unfairly picked on, and one party feels they were doing their job. If the story unfolded as described, it's reasonable to expect that it was because they were gay. If they were affectionate to a degree that the guard felt they were breaking the rules, the guard may have done the same with a heterosexual couple.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM

8,680 posts, read 17,238,225 times
Apparently public kissing doesn't violate Westfield's code of conduct. Maybe he meant Roseville's code of conduct?

Kiss Your Gay Partner, Get Kicked Out Of The Galleria | ranSACkedmedia

Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM

762 posts, read 2,025,292 times
It must not have been considered socially acceptable in the context which it was performed. Who knows why. Roseville Galleria has the right to remain conservative IMO. I'm sure that the couple must be aware that they are living in a time where their sexual orientation is gaining in popularity, especially in particular regions, but is not exactly mainstream and widely accepted.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,645,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro View Post
It must not have been considered socially acceptable in the context which it was performed. Who knows why. Roseville Galleria has the right to remain conservative IMO. I'm sure that the couple must be aware that they are living in a time where their sexual orientation is gaining in popularity, especially in particular regions, but is not exactly mainstream and widely accepted.
Well, if it was done consciously, it seems like a fairly poor decision on their parts. Perhaps Chick-fil-a can benefit from the united power of anti-gay err....pro-family...forces, but I doubt the Galleria can. I think it's more likely that the guard focused his attention on them, and while it's not clear whether his actions in isolation could be considered justified, a lopsided reaction to a gay couple, compared to a straight one, deserves the harsh criticism it's receiving.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM

815 posts, read 2,693,946 times
If the couple was overtly pawing each other, then I can understand the issue being addressed by security. I mean, who wants to see THAT at the mall regardless of the couple being gay or straight?
But knowing the locale, (Roseville), I think it's safe to say they were singled out because they were gay due the security officer's personal beliefs. I think Westfield needs to deal with this bad-apple whether it be through corrective action or sensitivity training. If you're a homophobe, then you really have no place working with the public at a shopping mall. I for one support the kiss-in and any other peaceful demonstration to send a message, not only to Westfield but to the local community that harassment and discrimination cannot and will not be tolerated anywhere in this country.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,694,876 times
Sounds like open discrimination in a place of public accomodation to me.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 PM

65 posts, read 126,888 times
i'm telling you, it's them rednexxx(tm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento