Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
There were fewer than 1,100 active home listings in Sacramento County and West Sacramento in February, according to the Sacramento Association of Realtors. "It's the ultimate seller's market," said Chris Little, president of the local Realtors' association. The lack of homes on the market is leading to multiple offers, fast sales and offers above the asking price in some of the region's more desirable neighborhoods.

Real estate tracker Zillow estimated this week that area prices rose by more than 15 percent in February compared with the same month a year ago.

In some ways, the escalating prices and bidding wars look like a rerun of last decade's housing bubble – the kind of unhealthy phenomenon that will only lead to another bust.

Read more here: Bidding wars breaking out in Sacramento's housing market - Real Estate - The Sacramento Bee
It's kinda interesting because in financial circles people are talking about another economic crash....selling to get their equity out, and renting until the next storm blows over.

I never want to rent again, hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I never want to rent again, hated it.
With you on that one. We rented in downtown Sacramento for 11 years. It was easily affordable, comfortable and convenient. Then we retired, moved, bought a modest lakeshore home on a quarter acre lot and our mortgage payment for the principal is a few dollars less than our rent was. Decidedly more satisfying - room to move, grow our own vegetables, good distance between houses - all custom - and best of all, no privacy fences so we have wide-open areas full of wildlife.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
It's kinda interesting because in financial circles people are talking about another economic crash....selling to get their equity out, and renting until the next storm blows over.
As much as I am betting on an Obamunist Owe-conomic crash, I am betting it will be a stagflationary one rather than a deflationary one. Real estate is still a hard asset.

Obviously, pay off your home as best and as soon as you possibly can and don't make crazy borrowings against it again.

I would be more likely to get out of stocks and bonds. Near record highs on the Dow? Well, in "quantitatively eased" dollars, a 14,000 Dow today doesn't mean anywhere near what it meant in 2006.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
As much as I am betting on an Obamunist Owe-conomic crash, I am betting it will be a stagflationary one rather than a deflationary one. Real estate is still a hard asset.

Obviously, pay off your home as best and as soon as you possibly can and don't make crazy borrowings against it again.

I would be more likely to get out of stocks and bonds. Near record highs on the Dow? Well, in "quantitatively eased" dollars, a 14,000 Dow today doesn't mean anywhere near what it meant in 2006.
I generally stop reading as someone uses some ridiculous half word, though I do admire the creativity, with terms demoncrap and repugnantcan earning high marks. Owe-conomic--not quite as high.

Anyway, your advice is not bad: very few people regret paying down, and staying out of, debt. That said, there's no reason to pay off your home unless you think you won't earn, in the mid- to long-term a nominal return higher than the tax-adjusted mortgage rate you're paying. Stocks and bonds are risky and you may be betting on a crash, but if you're betting on stagflation, the -flation part of that benefit the borrower. And if inflation is greater than your mortgage rate, you'll essentially automatically win money, since most low risk assets return something close to inflation, or are pegged to inflation, like TIPs and savings bond.

Now, people have made a pretty good case for a deflationary environment, and, indeed, the market's long-term expectations for inflation (as defined by the nominal return of treasury notes minus the real return of TIPs) is pretty low. My advice is to stay the course for your retirement portfolio and rebalance regularly (which will keep you gradually banking gains from a rising stock market, if that happens). Staying with fairly short term, and high quality bonds will shield you from losses in a rising interest rate environment (which is not what the general market is expecting). Pay down your house quickly if that helps you refi. If you're long-term at a low mortgage rate, then I think it's kind of a wash. I'd personally be make sure I had 12 months of living expenses saved in an FDIC-insured account, and was maxing out my tax-advantaged retirement accounts (particularly your Roth IRA, if you're worried about an owe-pcoming owe-conomic owe-pocalyse) before I tried too hard to pay down my house.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuns View Post
I generally stop reading as someone uses some ridiculous half word, though I do admire the creativity, with terms demoncrap and repugnantcan earning high marks. Owe-conomic--not quite as high.

Anyway, your advice is not bad: very few people regret paying down, and staying out of, debt. That said, there's no reason to pay off your home unless you think you won't earn, in the mid- to long-term a nominal return higher than the tax-adjusted mortgage rate you're paying. Stocks and bonds are risky and you may be betting on a crash, but if you're betting on stagflation, the -flation part of that benefit the borrower. And if inflation is greater than your mortgage rate, you'll essentially automatically win money, since most low risk assets return something close to inflation, or are pegged to inflation, like TIPs and savings bond.

Now, people have made a pretty good case for a deflationary environment, and, indeed, the market's long-term expectations for inflation (as defined by the nominal return of treasury notes minus the real return of TIPs) is pretty low. My advice is to stay the course for your retirement portfolio and rebalance regularly (which will keep you gradually banking gains from a rising stock market, if that happens). Staying with fairly short term, and high quality bonds will shield you from losses in a rising interest rate environment (which is not what the general market is expecting). Pay down your house quickly if that helps you refi. If you're long-term at a low mortgage rate, then I think it's kind of a wash. I'd personally be make sure I had 12 months of living expenses saved in an FDIC-insured account, and was maxing out my tax-advantaged retirement accounts (particularly your Roth IRA, if you're worried about an owe-pcoming owe-conomic owe-pocalyse) before I tried too hard to pay down my house.
OK, fair enough. While stagflation does benefit the borrower, the economic dislocations caused by said stagflation may cause the borrower to be unable to make the payments. Yes, leverage can make you a fortune, but make sure you can make the payments on the properties leveraged.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
OK, fair enough. While stagflation does benefit the borrower, the economic dislocations caused by said stagflation may cause the borrower to be unable to make the payments. Yes, leverage can make you a fortune, but make sure you can make the payments on the properties leveraged.
I'm pretty risk averse myself, so I wouldn't want it to sound like I'd advocate people to take undue risk. And it's interesting to note that most risk-averse people would categorically advise against leverage, while holding a mortgage while investing for retirement, which is clearly a form of leverage in itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento