Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 17,494 times

Advertisements

Yes I was curious about non-wholefoods. Up in Portland we have a great local chain called New Seasons and it is so successful that Whole Foods can barely survive up here. I am a localvore and your Nugget sounds just my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Does Fair Oaks still have its free-range, feral chicken flock hanging out at the park and along the downtown streets? When I lived in Davis, that was one of my favorite towns in the Sacramento area. Nothing like window shopping with chickens struttin' and cluckin' around you.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:10 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kservin View Post
Quick question, are you suggesting that the house listed at 255k in Folsom will sell above asking to as much as 300k? That sounds like déjà vu. Is the housing market starting to move back towards the bubble of 7 years ago or so? If so makes me wonder what next summer will look like in the market. Yikes always a challenge trying to time home sales and purchase!
Yes, Folsom is a very desirable community with very limited inventory now. I don't think the prices are close to 2006, but it's still very hot.

From Sacbee.com
How low is home-for-sale inventory in the Sacramento area?
It’s the lowest of the low, according to a report released today by Seattle-based data tracker Zillow.
The overall number of homes listed for sale in the Sacramento area on Zillow was down 48 percent year-over-year in late February.
By comparison, the national decline was 16.6 percent.
In the Sacramento metro area, Zillow broke down the year-over-year declines this way: top-tier homes, down 33.4 percent; middle-tier homes, down 53.2 percent; bottom-tier homes, down 61.5 percent.
California metro areas accounted for the top four U.S. markets seeing the biggest decrease in homes for sale over the past year. San Francisco was down 40.9 percent, and San Diego declined 39.4 percent.
Read more here: Zillow: Sacramento-area home inventory is lowest of the low - Business - The Sacramento Bee

Folsom is seeing similar declines.

From our 10 year peak of 561 homes on the market at once in 2008, we currently have 61 homes on the market (56 single-family and 5 condos). Of those 61, only 7 were short-sales and 4 bank owned.

Per my friend, a realtor: most Folsom and El Dorado Hills sales are over $300K. I listed a property in El Dorado Hills for $399K last month (Feb). In 3 days I had 3 offers, all over asking price. Final price $425K.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Yah, I love the Nugget in El Dorado Hills I always stop there on my way up to Tahoe(Heavenly for skiing) to get my latte or smoothie!

I was just at the Whole Foods in Folsom this evening, I still think The Nugget is better than Whole Foods, :-)
I think they are fairly equal. Each has their special discounts, so as long as you shop smartly, it doesn't have to be expensive. I go to both since i live in Folsom and work in EDH, and my other fav is TJ's. And I love the all season FM at Carmichael Park. It's nice to have a variety.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
The "Whole Foods" stores are mostly out in the 'burbs. I think there are still feral chickens in Fair Oaks, but the city of Sacramento recently repealed an old ordinance forbidding urban chicken-keeping, on the heels of a repeal of a ban on fronm-yard vegetable gardens.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The "Whole Foods" stores are mostly out in the 'burbs. I think there are still feral chickens in Fair Oaks, but the city of Sacramento recently repealed an old ordinance forbidding urban chicken-keeping, on the heels of a repeal of a ban on fronm-yard vegetable gardens.
Yes, I remember that front-yard vegetable garden ordinance was very unpopular!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Do I understand this correctly? The City of Sacramento forbids front-yard vegetable gardens? What about herbs or fruit trees in the front yard? I've got a cornucopia of veggies started in the backyard, and was thinking of adding herbs in the front yard.
Do I have to cut down by citrus trees in the front yard, doh! hell no!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Not anymore they don't. After World War II a lot of cities passed laws regulating front yard gardening (after encouraging "victory gardens" during the war) in an effort to make their residential districts look more manicured. It was probably always ignored in Midtown and other less well-regarded places, where neighborhood gardens are still the rule, but still technically on the books. A few years back someone in East Sac grew vegetables on their front lawn and a neighbor complained to code enforcement. A brief flap ensued, but the law was repealed pretty quickly. It did not apply to fruit trees, aimed more at those who turned a front lawn into raised beds for tomatoes etcetera. Heck, I used to grow artichokes and broccoli in my front yard (I lived near Sac High and didn't want to grow fruit that kids would want to eat.) Anyhow, it's not the law anymore, so you can plant some spinach in your front yard if you want without fear.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
(I lived near Sac High and didn't want to grow fruit that kids would want to eat.) Anyhow, it's not the law anymore, so you can plant some spinach in your front yard if you want without fear.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's not just kids that steal the fruit. A little old Asian lady steals lemons and tangerines from my front yard and blames it on 10 yr old Jose, the Mexican kid a few houses down.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
You may want to check out Lincoln. It shares a border with Rocklin and is less expensive. Make sure to factor in Mello-Roos assessments when you are looking at houses. A good website to check out is Californiamoves.com. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento