Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 01:11 PM

44 posts, read 127,357 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Ok, so we just learned that we may be relocating to Sacramento from Toronto Canada. WE are Jews and live in a strong jewish community in Thornhill ( a suburb of Toronto). Our kids have always gone to religious day schools and we eat only kosher and attend an orthodox shul. My question is will be find this in Sacramento? I would also like to know which parts of the area are best for families here is things we like but in no particular order

1. low crime
2. love thunderstorms and rain storms
3. love water (beaches, lakes, rivers)
4. love forests and big nature preserves
5. hate bugs and creepy crawly things like alligators, crocs, scorpions, killer spiders, mosquitoes, bees, and the like
6. allergies. I have environmental allergies and need good air quality
7. dog friendly communities....(like in Germany??)
8. sunshine and blue skies
9. awesome friendly people who are warm and inviting
10. low housing costs and easy to obtain financing etc
11. good judicial system not corrupt cops
12. good variety of jewish places
13. hate congested traffic jams
14. dont like power plants, overhead powerlines, nuclear sites etc.
15. want a house with acreage without spending millions
16. good doctors and hospitals
17. great shopping and night life
18. good dependable public transportation
19. kid friendly communities, with parks and activities
20. ice skating rinks????
oh and I was told to look in Roseville? is that where you find newer housing, and great shopping? or is Folsom better? or where is a good place to buy now and grow up? We are going to be living on an $80,000 dollar a year income, family of 6 and want to live like kings and queens!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
Hi folks,

Ok, so we just learned that we may be relocating to Sacramento from Toronto Canada. WE are Jews and live in a strong jewish community in Thornhill ( a suburb of Toronto). Our kids have always gone to religious day schools and we eat only kosher and attend an orthodox shul. My question is will be find this in Sacramento? I would also like to know which parts of the area are best for families here is things we like but in no particular order

1. low crime
5. hate bugs and creepy crawly things like alligators, crocs, scorpions, killer spiders, mosquitoes, bees, and the like
oh and I was told to look in Roseville? is that where you find newer housing, and great shopping? or is Folsom better? or where is a good place to buy now and grow up? We are going to be living on an $80,000 dollar a year income, family of 6 and want to live like kings and queens!!!
To answer some of your questions:

1. Sacramento proper is very urbanized so there are plenty of crime infested neighborhoods to stay away from. As far as the "safest" areas you can look at the suburban cities like Folsom, Roseville, and Placer County. Now in my opinion, these areas are pretty conservative, both morally and politically, with primarily a Christ-based religious core. From my years working in that area, I never was aware of a synagogue, or even met anyone that I knew was of the Jewish faith. Even in Roseville, which is a significant mid-sized city in Placer County, there are only like two Catholic churches. Most houses of worship in the area are either LDS, Evangelical, or Seventh Day Adventist, or some non descript Christ based faith that I never heard of. I read an article in the Sacramento Bee about six months ago that local Jews that do live in Roseville have to travel to Citrus Heights, about ten miles away, to find the closest synagogue. Would the locals be non accepting of a non Christian neighbor? I really don't know for sure; but I think there's some truth in the notion that people that are different from the existing norm stand out and are scrutinized which is a terrible fact but I guess that's human nature. If I was a Jewish person I personally would not feel comfortable living in this area despite the relative safety and "family feel."
Now, I would recommend living in a nicer neighborhood in Sacramento. In fact I live about a half mile from a synagogue in the Land Park neighborhood which is about two to three miles south of downtown. Also, McKinley Park, River Park, and the "Fabulous Forties" areas of Sacramento are safe, family friendly, and pretty diverse as well.
2: The weather is pretty tame here compared to Toronto. Cool to mild winters with subtle to moderate amounts of rain unless its a flood year which is rare. Temps in the winter range from the mid 30's to mid 40's at night to the low to mid 50's during the day. Summers are bone dry with virtually no precipatation at all. Most afternoons from late May until mid September can be vary warm to hot with temperatures from the low 90's reaching close to 110 degrees during heat waves that seem to be occuring with more frequency over the past few years. Compared to Toronto though, the humidity is very low so it's a "dry heat" as they say. Sacramento is considered one of the sunniest cities in the country, but unfortunately, the air quality in the summer is not good here whatsoever. Smoggy days in the summer are a daily fact of life here.
3,4: Beautiful Lake Tahoe in the Sierras is only two hours away and the coast is about a 90 minute to 2 hour drive if you're craving the ocean. The rivers in Sacramento, the Sacramento and American Rivers, are dirty and kinda gross in the city but if you travel upwards towards the foothills, about 30 to 40 miles, there air can be much cleaner, beautiful foliage, hiking, fishing, rafting, and many other outdoor activities.
6: As a warning to you, Sacramento is really the epicentre of allergy central, particularly between March and June. You'll find flying pollen everywhere and it can become quite intollerable here for the allergy prone.
13: Traffic in Sacramento has become horrendous over the past 10 years. You see, we have a real problem in the region called "urban sprawl". Despite the current housing slump, more and more and more tract home communities are being built everywhere. Areas that were once considered unsafe to build homes, such as in the flood plains of Natomas, are miraculously safe to build on now! How about that? The whole region is growing like crazy but the we still have the same tired old freeways that were built in the early 1970's that are now clogged with traffic much of the day, every day, in addition to the surface streets as well. It seems like the whole infrastructure is falling apart sometimes.
17: For world class shopping you'll have to drive to San Francisco, sorry. The one good local mall that is safe to take your kids that has some upscale stores is at the Roseville Galleria. In fact, Roseville is considered the retailing mecca of the region and it's continuing to expand, for better or worse.
In Sacramento we have Downtown Plaza and Arden Fair Mall. Both malls are not particularly safe, very rowdy with lots of thugs, and the traffic congestion factor at Arden Fair is unbelievable!
As far as nightlife, its really improving in downtown/ midtown Sacramento but I'm sure nothing compared to Toronto. If you have the extra cash, you'll never go hungry here. There are tons of amazing restaurants and eateries that cater to just about every taste. There are plenty of bars/ clubs scattered around midtown, from the more upscale, to the hole in the wall, that have live bands, and dancing that caters to every taste in music. Of course there are some clubs that can get kinda rowdy. There are your usual chain movie theatres around but there are also two independent film houses as well.
18: Dependable Transportation? That's subjective I suppose. We have a bus line, Regional Transit, and a light rail system that travels from the Northern City limits, into downtown, then out to Folsom. In the city, you'll find plenty of shady characters on the light rail so beware. What's really disappointing is that Sacramento is one of the only major cities in the country that does not offer public transportation to their "International Airport".
*Hope this helps

Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM

216 posts, read 376,787 times
Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't you need to be close
to a synagogue. I recall my jewish acquiatances mentioning
something about not creating fire on the sabatth (hence no driving).

Old 10-28-2007, 08:01 PM

Thankyou for so much valuable information. wow

I do need to be close to a synagogue....more importantly a jewish day school for my children.

I am not sure if that will be possible. I need to find out though.

thanks for all the great input guys

Chana

Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanamiryam View Post
Hi folks,

1. low crime
What line of work are you in?
What is your housing price range?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 PM

Iam a figure skating coach, a competitive trainer, national and international levels. We will probably rent first.....would like to rent under 2000 a month

cheaper the better. I want to have a life

haha

Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Can't help you personally, but perhaps these links may be of value to you:

Mosaic Law Congregation Home Page
j. - Capital’s only Jewish day school to break ground
Newcomer's Page (http://www.jewishsac.org/page.html?ArticleID=152215 - broken link)

Concerning your other issues, the air quality is good in Oct through April, it gets pretty bad in the May-Sept timeframe. It rains about twice a week on average in the mid October through early May timeframe, and practically never rains from early May thought the end of September.

Housing in the sub $2000 per month range should be easy to find, but buying a home would cost more than you would probably want to spend, $350K and up, with 5,000-6,000square foot lots.

The remaining issues, you probably need to understand that Toronto and Sacramento are far different. If you want to use a similar city in your area for comparison, it is kind of like a much larger version of London, Ont.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,233 times
There is not a large Jewish community in Sacramento, though there is a strong one. I believe the Shalom School's new campus was supposed to open this past summer, though I don't know if they were on time. Here's a Jewish Sacramento resource: http://www.jewishsac.org/.

Regarding where to live, avoid the suburbs. As mentioned before, they are very Christ-centered. We live in Folsom and other kids have told my kids that they are going to hell because they don't believe in Jesus. Folsom does have Chabad JCC, though.

Used to live in Land Park. Much more open minded and one's "Jewishness" isn't a topic of conversation and close to a great synagogue.

(Note: I'm not Jewish, atheist. Husband's family is Jewish.)

Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,770 times
Default Welcome to Sacramento!!!

SHALOM! My name is Carole. I undersdand the anxiety you must be going through! I moved from France many years ago!!!.... However the Sacramento region has a lot to offer. You can register with the Jewish Federation, subscribe to the Jewish Voice. I am a Messianic Believer myself and I attend BETH YESHUA MESSIANIC SYNAGOGUE (located on Horn Road in Rancho Cordova off Highway 50) every SHABBAT.

We are a loving , growing congregation in the Sacramento area. We have a 10:30 service with TORAH reading and Shabbat school for the children. We have a great Rabbi and a wonderful Hebrew teacher from Israel. If you think you might be interested, please contact our office at (916)368-9402.

Important upcoming event in Sacramento: A NIGHT TO HONOR ISRAEL on March 13th, 7:00pm to 9:30pm. The event is presented by Christians United for Israel and area congregations at Trinity Life Center and tickets are available through the Jewish Federation of Sacramento (916)486-0906, Capital Christian Center (916)856-5683 and Trinity Life Center(916)348-4673. Always remember that G'D will provide, especially in times of distress. After all, he did take our people out of Egypt, didn't he? .......

Old 02-19-2008, 06:06 PM

111 posts, read 466,410 times
what you just described in your guidelines is a perfect town, perfect neighborhood. of course everybody wants what you listed! (cept for jewish-related things, unless ur jewish of course)....sounds like For all the things you want, CA is not the place for you (well sacramento anyways). No skating rinks (except around xmas), tons of traffic everywhere, not many thunderstorms, however nuclear sites have been outlawed here in CA so thats good, The ocean to the west is bout 1.5 hrs away. Lake folsom isnt to far (isnt the beach tho)...overall the jewish communty isnt too large here in sacramento. it exist. I would suggest getting in contact with the person above me for alot of the jewish info. Or all together I would suggest not moving to sacramento at all. It isnt too great of a town. Try to transfer to the bay area or San diego or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento