Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,134,257 times

Advertisements

Hello all

I'm currently living in LA, but have a potential job opportunity in Rocklin. Before I tell the hiring manager if I'm willing to relocate (on my own dime), I was hoping to get some feedback from you all. About me: married, early 30s, one year old baby, currently living in a 1600sf 50s ranch home in the san fernando valley. I know Rocklin is on the outskirts of Sacramento and my number one concern is a tolerable commute (under 30 minutes, preferably under 20). I'd love to give you guys the request for a walkable area with shops and cafes, but i realize that we're talking about the suburbs of sacramento, so that is highly unlikely. realistically, what i'd really like is a nice area with nearby parks for the little guy and a TJ's and Costco within a reasonable distance. i also wouldn't mind being somewhere that is cyclist friendly as i used to be an avid road cyclist and i'm looking to pick that back up again. home size isn't too important, but 1500+sf would be ideal. we'd also probably be looking to rent and i'd love to keep that under $2000 if that's at all possible. i hear one of the benefits to sacramento over LA is the home pricing, so I'd love to cash in on that if we do end up moving. having said that, any thoughts on neighborhoods to consider would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 PM

457 posts, read 1,179,309 times
Check out craigslist for your basic rental prices. I think living in Rocklin would fit. It is a great suburb for people looking for that lifestyle. Anywhere around here is pretty good for cycling.

For shopping if you lived in that area you have The Fountains and Galleria in Roseville, The Palladio in Folsom.

East Sac / Midtown seems like it could be a good fit for you too. You would be doing a reverse commute and would be within your time preference.

I would suggest a trip up here so you could drive around. If you can't do that take a drive around here on google earth and see what you like.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,805,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Hello all

I'm currently living in LA, but have a potential job opportunity in Rocklin. Before I tell the hiring manager if I'm willing to relocate (on my own dime), I was hoping to get some feedback from you all. About me: married, early 30s, one year old baby, currently living in a 1600sf 50s ranch home in the san fernando valley. I know Rocklin is on the outskirts of Sacramento and my number one concern is a tolerable commute (under 30 minutes, preferably under 20). I'd love to give you guys the request for a walkable area with shops and cafes, but i realize that we're talking about the suburbs of sacramento, so that is highly unlikely. realistically, what i'd really like is a nice area with nearby parks for the little guy and a TJ's and Costco within a reasonable distance. i also wouldn't mind being somewhere that is cyclist friendly as i used to be an avid road cyclist and i'm looking to pick that back up again. home size isn't too important, but 1500+sf would be ideal. we'd also probably be looking to rent and i'd love to keep that under $2000 if that's at all possible. i hear one of the benefits to sacramento over LA is the home pricing, so I'd love to cash in on that if we do end up moving. having said that, any thoughts on neighborhoods to consider would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I think you will be able to find everything you are looking for right in Rocklin/Roseville. There are some really nice walkable shopping areas that way, such as The Fountains (there is shopping everywhere) and there are homes/apartments within walking distance. Trader Joe's is south of the Galleria in an older section on Harding near Douglas Blvd, and Costco is in the newer area off Fairway Drive, I believe. I don't know of any bad neighborhood in that area, except perhaps by the Roseville train tracks and I think that is more of a pollution issue. I'm sure others can verify that.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM

409 posts, read 954,499 times
With your job in Rocklin and a good budget to rent... live and work in Rocklin and shop in nearby Roseville (plenty of retail and dining options). Why commute at all?...just watch out for some of the "me first" drivers in the area.

As mentioned... check out Craigslist.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:11 AM

There's lots of better places to find rentals, I'll post some websites later. CL is known for scams & high prices.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,134,257 times
wow, thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:49 PM

Ok, I've got some websites to check out. I don't think any of these are necessarily better than the other.
1 and 2 bedroom house for rent sacramento ca california rental house
Sacramento Rental Property Management | Home Run Property Management
HORIZON PROPERTIES -- Dozens of homes for rent in the Sacramento area
Apartments For Rent in Rocklin, CA - ForRent.com

I would also suggest looking at management companies, and local magazines.
Style-Roseville Granite Bay Rocklin Magazine - Shopping, Dining, Local Events

I see ads in the newspaper still from those who are not internet savvy. I also see ads on another local forum. If you would like that website, PM me.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,969,802 times
Trulia.com also has a lot of rentals listed. They pull from some of the various property management companies. Not sure how well they keep it updated with status, but it's also a good place to start.

The big scams from Craigs List are when someone posts a property for rent that is vacant, but not theirs. This happens mostly in Short Sales and preforeclosure homes. If you find something you like there, any realtor can quickly check the tax records to see who the owner is and whether it is in pre-foreclosure status. That doesn't guarantee it's legit but removes most the risk. I'd be happy to do that for you. Just PM me with the address if you see something on Craigslist that you like.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,415,216 times
Look at Lincoln as well. It's a short hop to Rocklin and has a pretty solid community. Everything (new) is more or less centered around Lincoln Crossing (But stay away from Lincoln crossing itself if you ever plan on buying.... unless you like high mello roos and HOAs) Also as a cyclist, there's lots to do there. Tour De Lincoln comes to mind. Good area to look is west of Joiner, or maybe 12 Bridges, though it's a little spendier there. You could buy around a 1700-1800 square foot house for $260-280 in this area- again, if you consider buying.

Also the water is a lot cheaper. (but pretty nasty tbh.)

Trader Joe's is in Roseville, and is a bit of a bummer to drive to from Rocklin or Lincoln. There is a Fresh and Easy, which is somewhat similar (lots of healthy prepared meals.) but I understand the chain has financial trouble.

Costco is a quick hop on highway 65. Whole Foods Market is not far from there.

Roseville itself will be a lot more expensive.

The trains are super noisy and blow their horns all night long- so if you do look in roseville, try to stay away from the trainyards.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,961 times
Sounds like you would be pretty happy in Rocklin! You might look at the area around Blue Oaks/Lonetree. Great park over there (Lone Tree park), shopping center with restaurants, and pretty close to Roseville too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento