Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:53 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
My advice is don't! It's a mess here.
Such a mess that it has become the nation's most populous state because people hate it here. Wait, that doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 11:33 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Like Yogi Berra used to say, "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded!"

Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 AM

74 posts, read 127,490 times
I can't resist….when Humbolt is mentioned, it's impossible not to think of a famous slogan (might be outdated) anywhere near the area like Santa Rosa on up…Smoke Humbolt Homegrown. It gets shockingly hot in the Sacramento region on up. Up north of Covelo in the pines and mountains during hunting season I've had to experience 115 degrees camping. Redding scorching hot at 112 when I was there. Sacramento during it's hot months is tough. It used to be the hottest time of the year when you had to go back to school and go to the State Fair. I think Santa Rosa would be a great place to live today. You have to get use to how things work though because a beautiful sunny day in Santa Rosa will have you in your car heading to Bodega Bay with a wine cooler and a towel….but it will be so cold and cloudy there at the beach. You will fry like lobster in just 30 minutes in the cold. Also about Humbolt, I picture Viet Nam. Helicoptors of federal agents.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM

120 posts, read 216,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Such a mess that it has become the nation's most populous state because people hate it here. Wait, that doesn't make sense.
Many people are leaving due to the taxes and politics, which are quite awry.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
OP: Check out Bend, OR. It has cool summers and not that much snow right in town, yet the Mt. Bachelor ski area is 20 minutes away and gets tons of it. You can get a 1 BR in your price range. The town is politically rather middle-of-the road and while you'll find drug use everywhere, it's not as prevalent there as many other places. There's a trail along the Deschutes River similar to the American River parkway in Sacramento, but safer.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
OP: Check out Bend, OR. It has cool summers and not that much snow right in town, yet the Mt. Bachelor ski area is 20 minutes away and gets tons of it. You can get a 1 BR in your price range. The town is politically rather middle-of-the road and while you'll find drug use everywhere, it's not as prevalent there as many other places. There's a trail along the Deschutes River similar to the American River parkway in Sacramento, but safer.
Bend is a really nice city. Lovely, low crime, great beer. The winter is long and cold, but you're right about not getting that much snow, so the weather generally doesn't prevent people from traveling, especially if they have AWD, which everyone seems to. It's very self-contained, but also super isolated, both by distance and topography. It's a daunting task to get to the other side of the Cascades for several months of the year.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:30 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
Many people are leaving due to the taxes and politics, which are quite awry.
For every one that leaves there seems to be a half dozen clamoring to replace them.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Look at Ventura.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,800,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
For every one that leaves there seems to be a half dozen clamoring to replace them.
And yet, 2010 was the first census ever from which California did not gain a congresscritter. And this in spite of illegal aliens being counted in the population.

I'm older now and manged to purchase my house and get my pension job while *that* lasts, but anyone younger? Get out of California.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 PM

102,205 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofcalifornia View Post
I am considering moving to California, and one of the main reasons is the weather. I lived in Florida and now live in New York and hate the weather in both states. Florida was always too hot, and New York gets too hot in the summer. I like a place with mild climate. I can handle cold weather just fine but not heat. 70 degrees is as hot as I like it to get. Anyway, I would first secure a job before I move but all that aside, I am lost as to what areas to look into. I do plan on having a kid soon (within a year) and would like an area with decent schools and low crime. Definitely an area with low drug use (that includes marijuana). I know areas like Humbolt County have a high marijuana use so that's out, but I was thinking about maybe the Roseville area, Elk Grove, or even Sacramento. I'd be renting to start off and I'd like the rent to be no more than $900 with utilities. I know I can find that in areas like Elk Grove but I'm not sure if it's a good area. Anyone that could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!! Also I'm a vegetarian (considering becoming vegan) and would like to be nearby an organic supermarket (or at least one with an organic section) and maybe a few vegetarian/vegan restaurants.
Forget Sacramento. Too hot in the summer. Try the Bay Area. Much cooler on the Bay, especially in San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland. It hits 90 for about 2 weeks a year in September, that's it. Most of the time it's in the 60's and 70's, winter it can dip into the 40's, but more typically, 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento