Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:54 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,641,314 times

Advertisements

Land Park will put you in a great district for elementary (Crocker Riverside) and middle school (California Middle). High school (McClatchy) is fine. High schools are tough because the districts are just so big. That school draws in a bunch from great neighborhoods and some from not-so-great. Any decent kid would do fine there. West of Freeport is where the district starts for Crocker Riverside. Husband's commute would be about 3 (easily bike-able) miles. If you want to live in town, in a walk-able neighborhood, I'd give that a look.

Davis is a fine place and the schools are almost universally good, but the commute, while doable, is no fun, and the housing, like you said, is crazy expensive. Arden-Arcade can get you nice schools, and you can find a bigger house on a bigger lot, if that interests you. But you may be looking at a long commute (as the crow flies, it wouldn't be so bad, but it might be several miles of surface streets), and less walk-able.

Good luck with the move and hope you find a place that suits you and the family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 PM

137 posts, read 343,869 times
If east Sac is a bit out of range for you financially, or you want to save on rent to stretch your down payment compared to some of these ritzier neighborhoods, consider Tahoe Park. Our bun is still in the oven so I can't speak much to the schools in the area, but our neighborhood elementary school is currently under-enrolled and we are relatively close to West Campus HS, a public magnet school that seems to have a pretty good reputation. There is also a private Catholic school in the neighborhood if that's your thing (K-8). The neighborhood is what I consider a healthy mix of people, blue-collar and white-collar, young and old, with a nice park in the middle (lots of dogs) and a small neighborhood association. It's super convenient to the medical center and if you are a fan of older homes there are some nice early 20th century bungalows here, though the bulk of the neighborhood is more mid-century.

East Sac seems really nice too, but out of our price range. In Tahoe Park right now you would be looking at around $200-300k for a modest home (like a 2/2 or 3/1 around 1200 s.f.?) in good condition. Extreme low end of fixer uppers, maybe $75k; and I have not seen anything in the neighborhood that was $400k or more in the past two years, that I can recall. There is very little inventory though so some people are asking ridiculous prices—I don't care how quiet the street is, if these people get what they're asking, I will buy a hat just so I can eat it. If that kitchen is less than 20 years old, someone has got some explaining to do. Maybe if the house was twice the size, or if this were 2006 again...

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,796,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
In Tahoe Park right now you would be looking at around $200-300k for a modest home (like a 2/2 or 3/1 around 1200 s.f.?) in good condition. Extreme low end of fixer uppers, maybe $75k; and I have not seen anything in the neighborhood that was $400k or more in the past two years, that I can recall. There is very little inventory though so some people are asking ridiculous prices—I don't care how quiet the street is, if these people get what they're asking, I will buy a hat just so I can eat it. If that kitchen is less than 20 years old, someone has got some explaining to do. Maybe if the house was twice the size, or if this were 2006 again...
Looks like they are asking what they paid back in 2005. I bet they get it or more, and have multiple offers.
No way I would pay that price for 745 sf.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:14 PM

409 posts, read 953,766 times
Lack of inventory, historically low interest rates, and the desire to own a home...it's a sellers market. As far as multiple offers I think this is happening in many Sacramento and suburban area neighborhoods such as my own...average number of offers...11

11776 Brook Valley Way, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742 | MLS# 12072612 | Redfin

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

36 posts, read 170,229 times
Welcome (almost) to Sac!

Having visited NC (Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Wake Forest, Charlotte, Huntersville,) Sacramento is just so so so so different than what you are probably used to. I grew up in MD, and my teenage years were in NoVA (Vienna, Fairfax, McLean etc). I loved NC and would like to move there at some point. If your hubby is working in UCDavis sac, how close do you want to be to his work? What price range are you looking at? If you want to be close there you can hit 50 and head up to Folsom (some excellent schools with high API ratings) or Gold River if you like that feel. Personally I love Folsom. I love the downtown and the mix of old and new. I would also look at NORTH Orangevale and Granite Bay, Rocklin, Loomis. Those are all great cities for schools. Loomis is more rolling hills/rural. Rocklin is new/convenient/cookie cutter, Granite Bay is a mix of the two (and $$$$) If you want to stay IN the city, I don't know what to suggest if schools are priority. Probably McKinley park area and a little bit east by Campus Commons but that borders schools that aren't great at all. HTH.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 6,173 times
melodyf: we are moving also for job at UC Davis Med Center. Can you update on where you ended up and how it's going? In same situation as you and curious about where to live

Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,796,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKBekins View Post
melodyf: we are moving also for job at UC Davis Med Center. Can you update on where you ended up and how it's going? In same situation as you and curious about where to live
The OP for this thread has not been online since posting.

But I see you created a new thread/topic which is great & we can help you there.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,309,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKBekins View Post
I lived in Sacto and bought a condo in Davis. If you are going to be moving here sight-unseen, definitely move to Davis. There's really no bad neighborhood in Davis, and the schools are great, it's very family friendly, safe, just a great town.

Lots of people commute from Davis to Sacto, and I think there may even be a shuttle from UC Davis to UC Med Ctr in Sacto, but double check on that.

I noticed your other thread about a good gym. I have heard this one is good:

Davis Athletic Club :: Family Fitness in Davis, CA

I have a friend in Davis, and I know she uses their pool and weight room. But, you could check out their Yelp reviews, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento