U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 AM

39 posts, read 69,645 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to midtown Sacramento in the fall, and won't have a car. I'll likely be living somewhere between 15th-18th around J-P (if that makes any sense)

I know there's a Safeway not too far from there, so I'll probably be doing most of my shopping there, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight into public transportation to Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op? I also know of the midtown farmers' market on Sundays, which I'm looking forward to. Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM

8,385 posts, read 15,245,592 times
The Sunday farmer's market is in Southside Park at 8th and W Street (a bit west of Midtown proper), but there is also a new Saturday farmer's market at 20th and J, closer to where you will be living. It's pretty easy to hop the Gold Line light rail from 16th Street to the 29th Street light rail station to hit the Co-Op, or the 48th Street station for Trader Joe's (each is about a 3 block walk from the station) but if you have a bike with a cargo rack, both are a nice short ride from Midtown.

There is also a Grocery Outlet on 18th & Capitol that carries a lot of goodies--including organic products and fresh vegetables. The Safeway at 19th and S is also pretty well-stocked, including organics.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 19,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post

There is also a Grocery Outlet on 18th & Capitol that carries a lot of goodies--including organic products and fresh vegetables. The Safeway at 19th and S is also pretty well-stocked, including organics.
Was going to recommend Grocery Outlet as well. You'll find plenty of stuff for great prices.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM

39 posts, read 69,645 times
Fantastic! Thank you so much for the info! For the light rail, how much does it cost? And does it run quite frequently? I won't have a bike

Also, since you seem knowledgeable and friendly , could you give a little insight into weather. I will be moving from SF, but have lived on the East coast. I know Sacramento is hot, but not particularly humid, in the summer. What about winter? How cold does it get? 40s?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM

5,104 posts, read 8,365,071 times
Whole Foods is on Arden & Eastern. You will need a car, or bike to get there.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:19 PM

8,385 posts, read 15,245,592 times
There is really no need to ever go to Whole Foods for anything if you live in Midtown.

Light rail isn't cheap, I think $2.75 one-way, $6 for an all-day pass, or $100 for a monthly pass. If you work downtown, check with your employer--some employers pay for part of a monthly pass to encourage people to commute via transit, but even if you don't have to commute via car you might be able to take advantage of that. The trains run every 15 minutes during peak hours, dropping to every half-hour after 6 PM or so, and stop at around 11 PM.

It gets really really hot in summer, but yes, a lot less humid than the East Coast. Because of the low humidity, staying in shade (not hard to do in Midtown) makes the weather a lot more comfortable, and it cools off at night (lots of people stay up late in summer to take advantage of the cooler nights.) If you're very used to Bay Area weather it will take some getting used to. Dress lightly, stick to the shade when walking around, stay indoors when it goes above 100 if you can.

In winter, generally down to the 30s at the coldest, with a very occasional sub-30 degree cold snap. Our winters aren't that different from the Bay Area--lots of rain, quite a bit of fog and overcast, and occasional sunny but really cold winter days.

Oh yeah, the downtown Safeway delivers, you can order groceries online.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,314,497 times
^---all true.

I think you'll find yourself wanting a bike. Midtown and surrounding environs are perfectly scaled to a bike. A lot of what you'll need will be in walking distance (Safeway, Grocery Outlet, the new farmer's market, plenty of hangouts, venues, etc), but there's a lot of cool stuff a little further afield, within, say within 2-3 miles, including Trader Joe's. A bike is also nice for those occasions where you'll need to get something during hot weather. Generally speaking, it's easy to just plan to head out before 10 am or after 6 to avoid the worst of the heat, but in case you do need to head out, a bike will keep your trips shorter. You can also bring your bike on the train, put it on the front of the bus, or even bring it with you on Amtrak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or