Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM

534 posts, read 1,532,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesatschool View Post
Thanks for the info. Well worded, volleyballer. What surprises and irks me the most is that no one was honest with me, or at least they didn't want to say it. In teacher training programs, no one is telling new teachers how hard it is to get a job. I guess they just want their enrollment fees. It makes me wonder how programs like IMPACT (which gives a salaired intern job to teachers while they earn their credential) are still functioning if there are no open jobs.

Volleyballer, or anyone else, do you know of areas in California (or even oregon, I have family there) where the job market for teachers is better? I am still young and flexible, married but no children and none expected for a year or two, so I can move around a bit. Or do you know a website where I can find this kind of information and statistics? I'm at a loss how to job hunt at this point, thought a sped credential may be a great idea.
jules, I went through a district intern program in southern CA back in 1998-2000. Back then they were telling us that 100,000 teachers were going to retire and there would be a scrambling for teachers. It has never happened. I'm so glad that I got my credential for free. Even so, I only found a teaching job because a friend referred me to her principal. Otherwise, nothing.

If you go back and get your special ed credential, you can probably get a job, or possibly single subject in math or science.

Check out Welcome to EDJOIN! for jobs. Check out Dept of Finance, Employment Development Division (EDD) for job stats in ca: California Department of Finance .

I'm so sorry. It is so disappointing to spend all of that time and money on a career that has no openings right now . I enjoyed my 4 years as a teacher, but I have moved on. I hope that you will be able to get a job as a teacher, it sounds like you have a passion for it. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 AM

45 posts, read 87,960 times
How does that intern program work? I have a neighbor who used to be a realtor but when business slowed, he started teaching. This was last year. I don't understand how he got the teaching job when he doesn't even have his teaching credential (yes, I know that for a fact). However, many years ago he taught a course at a community college. This neighbor is on an intern program. I hear about teachers with credentials and actual teaching experience getting laid off...yet this neighbor with little experience and no credential is able to get a "teaching" job on an intern program? Seems like he is bumping qualified teachers out of a job....or are intern jobs somehow exempt from layoffs?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:53 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer99 View Post
How does that intern program work? I have a neighbor who used to be a realtor but when business slowed, he started teaching. This was last year. I don't understand how he got the teaching job when he doesn't even have his teaching credential (yes, I know that for a fact). However, many years ago he taught a course at a community college. This neighbor is on an intern program. I hear about teachers with credentials and actual teaching experience getting laid off...yet this neighbor with little experience and no credential is able to get a "teaching" job on an intern program? Seems like he is bumping qualified teachers out of a job....or are intern jobs somehow exempt from layoffs?
Is this an actual public school? Unless he has is going to school for his special ed credential, or has a degree in math or science, I don't see how a district would have hired him. Is he teaching special ed, math or science? Or is it regular ed? There are so many loopholes teachers have to jump through now. Interesting.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:55 PM

45 posts, read 87,960 times
He is in the Natomas District teaching English. Last year he taught in Sac Unified also as an English teacher but said he decided to change (don't know if it was voluntary or involuntary). His wife told me he didn't have credentials. The CA website confirmed that and also that he's a district intern. So how come credentialed teachers are being laid off and having a tough time finding a job, but a non-credentialed person can get a teaching job as a district intern. I dunno. Just curious.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:58 AM

43 posts, read 108,610 times
All of these entries are very helpfull, as my husband and I are also looking at a move to California for a teaching job. We first were looking at Socal but it is so expensive and seems very challenging to find a good area for kids. So now we are concentrating in the northern part of California. My husband is a Spanish teacher and Wrestling coach and ownes his own wrestling club. Anyone know if there is any need for that in the area? I know its tough everywhere as far as the job market but thought we would check it out.
Thanks for any input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento