Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM

7 posts, read 28,328 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move with my child. I'd love to be near nature which we haven't seen much of in years. Here in Los Angeles it's all cement buildings you see most of the time. (I miss seeing Tahoe when I was a kid and the redwood trees. But I couldn't handle the snow. I'll just visit nowadays). There are awesome places to visit in LA like the Getty, Santa Monica Pier and the Griffith Observatory. The weather is great. But I don't like it anymore. I'm thinking of moving this summer and doing a lot of online search before visiting. I'd like to hear from locals themselves. Does anyone know cities live Davis or Auburn? What is the summer temperature like and Winter temp like? where I live in LA it's 90 in the summer most days. Wouldn't want hotter than that.
***Are the middle schools and high schools good?*** Are they any gang or major/stand out crime problems in the city you have in mind for me? *** I'll need to be within an hour of finding work as an Admin Assistant/Office support work. then rush home to pick up my child in daycare.

If anyone wants to know more about LA I'd like to be pay the favor back for the info you give me. Anything you might want to know about Hollywood, Acting auditions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I'd say look for work first, then find something with a decent commute. Summers can be hot here, topping 100 a couple weeks a year, but cooler at night. Winters are mild with the occasional frost and more rainy days.

Generally the further east you go, the more trees and hills you find.

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California for school ratings. Most schools here offer Extended Day daycare on site for before and after school. The ones in El Dorado County are cheaper, at $2.30 per hour for the students. For Sacramento county, that price is available for lower income, and it ranges up to about $5.50 an hour for higher income. I haven't looked at it lately so I don't know the exact price but it's a good program.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,337 times
This poster has three posts in 3 different areas with the same thing. Seems spammy...who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I'd say look for work first, then find something with a decent commute. Summers can be hot here, topping 100 a couple weeks a year, but cooler at night. Winters are mild with the occasional frost and more rainy days.

Generally the further east you go, the more trees and hills you find.

School Rankings for the Sacramento metropolitan area, California for school ratings. Most schools here offer Extended Day daycare on site for before and after school. The ones in El Dorado County are cheaper, at $2.30 per hour for the students. For Sacramento county, that price is available for lower income, and it ranges up to about $5.50 an hour for higher income. I haven't looked at it lately so I don't know the exact price but it's a good program.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:13 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I lived in Davis for years. Great town, safe, very bike-friendly and safe even for kids on bikes - wide bike lanes and lots of greenbelt bike lanes, great schools.

Getting an admin job at UC Davis should be pretty easy. I worked as a temp in that line of work there, and almost always got offered a full-time job. I ended up taking a job in Sacramento, but anyway, here's the link:

Temporary Employment Services (TES) — Human Resources

Davis is hot. Has lots of trees, which make you not realize how flat it is (which is great for cycling). Amtrak station right in center of downtown.

As I recall, Auburn can get snow. But is also hot in summer. Not as commutable to other areas of CA as Davis is, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento