U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:54 PM

62 posts, read 251,911 times

Advertisements

OK, We've been looking in Central California for almost two years, and it just hasn't worked out for us. We had decided on Clovis, CA and there were many large houses on 2+ acres for around $250,000 built around 1977, all redone and often with a pool too! But, the air quaility there is worse than Los Angeles, and they are also having a severe water shortage that is just getting worse. And, they have Raised their prices this year!! It's hard to move on, we had gotten to know a little about the area, I read the Fresno Bee and we were looking forward to living there. We need to move this summer.
Here's us and I'll take any advice and look in any area if anyone has ANY ideas about a place for us to live. My husband and I are retired. We have two teens, 14 and 16 who are into music, band, orchestra, theater, dance. We want to have a pumpkin farm and an event business on our small farm and grow Organic vegetables and fruit. Can I grow citrus in Sacramento? We also need to be near to a good high school. We want a place where we can stay forever as the kids finish growing up and going away to college. Just a small farm or a house with acres. OR, a place where a pumpkin farm was before, or a simular business. An old event business, a church with grounds, another business with barns and unsprayed land. Anything that would work or just the acres. I don't know anything about Sacramento so I'm here to learn. What area would be good for us to look in? What area should we avoid? We've lived in an area of very Poor schools and we never want to do that again. We only have $300,000. to spend because we need money to get the business started. Horse property. Land/acres. Please tell me anything you know, any idea, any other place you think would be good. I have to grow citrus there, though so no snow or lower tempertures. We don't want to live in the mountains far away from town and in the cold. Please help us!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 PM

13,860 posts, read 24,611,570 times
Perhaps the area around Ione would work for you.

//www.city-data.com/city/Ione-California.html

Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM

8,375 posts, read 15,220,785 times
Sacramento is a city just a little bit smaller than Fresno, but with a much more populated metro area--2.5 million vs. the Fresno area's 1 million. So a lot of the places around Sacramento that used to be farms are already built out as suburbs. $300,000 isn't likely to get you much more than a suburban tract house on a quarter-acre lot. If you bought 2 years ago during the depths of the crash, expect to pay more now as we're going into a period of economic recovery and prices are getting higher.

Sacramento itself isn't all that agricultural--ag jobs are a very small percentage of the local workforce, and most of the surviving farmland close to the city has been snapped up by developers to build more housing. The Sacramento River delta or rural Yolo County might be worth a look, but expect to pay higher prices than $300,000, and the rural communities aren't all that great if you're looking for fantastic schools or the cultural amenities it sounds like your kids are interested in.

At the same time, we're experiencing the same drought as southern California, our air quality is about the same, and I think the water prices for commercial farmers are just as high up here as they are down there.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM

45 posts, read 67,774 times
Check out herald, wilton, and Galt. Here are some properties to get you started:
11815 Kirkwood St, Herald, CA 95638 | MLS# 13034406 | Redfin
11395 Simmerhorn Rd, Galt, CA 95632 | MLS# 13035271 | Redfin
11995 Kirkwood St, Herald, CA 95638 | MLS# 13015463 | Redfin

Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Thumbs up Thank You!

vThanks for sending these houses! I didn't know anyone had answered back, I never got notified until today. Well, it gives me some hope at least. Now I'm going to go investigate those areas and their schools. Thanks for sending me on a different route. Can you tell me anything about this area? I can see there is High Power wires going through the back of the last house. We loved their shower! I've never seen anything like it!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:17 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,338,187 times
Herald is nice. I have a friend who lives out there. The lots are huge. She has enough room for a house, a mobile home, a pool, a barn, a chicken coop and a huge field. I don't think she & her family are currently growing any crops. But, it's really peaceful out there, and not too far, maybe 10-15 minutes down the road from Galt. It's off Twin Cities Rd (104) and on the way to Rancho Seco. There is a small store where the old timers hang out and watch the traffic go by.

Here's the local activity list: Home page for the Herald Community Club in Herald, California

Old 07-15-2013, 05:34 PM

37 posts, read 77,473 times
You might also consider Auburn, Loomis, and Newcastle areas.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:20 AM

88 posts, read 294,903 times
To answer your question "Can I grow citrus in Sacramento?" . Yes you can. Citrus is very common and you'll find oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit and mandarins growing in many backyards here. There are commercial Mandarin orchards in the Loomis, Penryn, and Auburn areas. There is a 'Mountain Mandarin Festival ' held in Auburn every November. I personally have 8 citrus trees (Meyer lemon, Eureka lemon, Bears lime, Valencia orange, Moro Blood orange, Clementine mandarin, Tango mandarin, and Satsuma mandarin) in my backyard (I'm in Fair Oaks/Citrus Heights area) and they grow fine and produce great fruit. The Sacramento area can get periodic frosts and freezes during the winter so there is potential citrus damage , but it's typically not severe enough to cause total loss.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM

532 posts, read 1,335,733 times
Loomis has a great high school band, houses on acreage, you can grow citric there, etc. Here's a link to their annual band festival:

https://sites.google.com/a/puhsd.k12...nd-spectacular

Other great high school bands is Union Mine in Diamond Springs or Ponderosa in Shingle Springs (but $300k won't get you what you're looking for in El Dorado County).

I don't know how prices are out by Loomis.

And hello! I go down to Quartz Hill quite often to visit my elderly mom. You will love this area.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Thank You, I'm checking them out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento