Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 11:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Maybe its hard for you to understand this since the diural range in SD averages only 5-10 degrees all year long, and even less in the summer, remember I'm originally from SD and still have friends and family there I know SD weather quite well.

Remember that I'm not *from* San Diego but from Walnut Creek where I grew up. So I basically lived most of my childhood in near-Sacramento weather. We even watched Sacramento local news on our cable and saw the forecasts. I know the climate like the back of my hand.

San Diego is my adopted home of many years, and yes, the diurnal range *right at the coast* is very narrow compared to Sacramento, but it still does not average 5-10 degrees year round. In fact, it never averages fewer than 10 degrees in the narrowest month. Statistics show that it ranges from 10 degrees in August (77/67) to 17 degrees in January (61/44, although I've seen other averages showing the high temp in January to be warmer around 65, which would give you about 20 degrees diurnal range in winter, and I can attest to the fact that winter lows away from the water can get frosty on occasion).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_San_Diego

In the past week, the diurnal range has been smaller but narrower than *average,* with about 77/70 being the range near the coast. So it does happen but only sporadically, as evidenced by the averages.

Away from the immediate influence of the water, inland communities like Scripps Ranch (where I live), Poway, or Escondido actually average at least 20 degree diurnal ranges even in summer. Poway, for example, averages 82/62 in the summer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poway,_California#Climate

Escondido averages 87/62, which is a 25 degree diurnal range: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escond...fornia#Climate

So even living in San Diego now, I have not forgotten about diurnal ranges that are still greater here than in much of the country, except right along the water. It's one of the reasons we moved farther inland, actually. Much lower humidity, cooler nights, warmer days, more sunshine, even a bit of fall color -- wait, that's more like Sacramento! Which I happen to think has a great climate!

But I'm sure you'll find something to argue about with me anyway. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 12:41 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,541 times
77/70 is perfect. Anywhere in Northern California, a high of 77 would mean a comfortable day but way too cold in the morning and late at night and you need a sweater with lows in the 40s or low 50s. Also an overnight low of 70 in Northern California would mean tortuous daytime heat with highs well over 100.

77/70 means you can be comfortable both day and night and a bit of humidity with SST in the mid 70s makes it perfect for swimming at the beach or just talking a leisurely walk without overheating in the peak of the afternoon. Balmy comfortable nights with no sweatshirt needed even at 1AM for late night hang outs if you're a night owl or 5AM walk if you're an early bird. Those monsoon clouds are also quite pretty taking away from the monotony of either clear skies for 6 straight months inland or that annoying cold marine layer at the coast. We even have a slight chance of thunderstorms early this week.

Sacramento's diurnal range is an annoyance, not an asset and going 6 months without seeing a single cloud is nothing to brag about.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
77/70 is perfect. Anywhere in Northern California, a high of 77 would mean a comfortable day but way too cold in the morning and late at night and you need a sweater with lows in the 40s or low 50s. Also an overnight low of 70 in Northern California would mean tortuous daytime heat with highs well over 100.

77/70 means you can be comfortable both day and night and a bit of humidity with SST in the mid 70s makes it perfect for swimming at the beach or just talking a leisurely walk without overheating in the peak of the afternoon. Balmy comfortable nights with no sweatshirt needed even at 1AM for late night hang outs if you're a night owl or 5AM walk if you're an early bird. Those monsoon clouds are also quite pretty taking away from the monotony of either clear skies for 6 straight months inland or that annoying cold marine layer at the coast. We even have a slight chance of thunderstorms early this week.

Sacramento's diurnal range is an annoyance, not an asset and going 6 months without seeing a single cloud is nothing to brag about.
Very true -- I know of no other place in the country with such a small diurnal range at this time of the year, and in such a comfortable range to boot. Although I prefer the slightly hotter inland days (mid-80s) and slight cooler nights (60s) I get in eastern Scripps Ranch to those coastal temps. At least we can open the windows in the evening to cool down the house, and the air is more dry. I like a *little* diurnal range and agree that Sacramento's is too much, but Lindbergh Field's is too little for me. A happy medium is nice, not unlike what San Jose gets in summer. 20-ish degrees between day and night is perfect.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Key West has about 5-6 degree range but not nearly as "comfortable" of course.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,144,384 times
Quote:

It isn't?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:48 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:

I actually live in Sacramento, and this is a small example of why a 30+ degree diurnal range is awesome:

Even though the high topped out at 96F, we enjoyed most of our day with temps in the 70's, not the 80's nor 90's. We enjoyed a very comfortable day going OUTSIDE for ice cream at a local family creamery with the kids, walked the dogs OUTSIDE, hung out with friends OUTSIDE at a Beer Garden. All morning long, in the early afternoon, in the evening and all night it was very comfortable to comfortable temps. It was easy to avoid those few hours in the 90's.

The next day: While the temp was in the LOW 60's, we exercised OUTSIDE, mowed the lawn, and gardened. Later that day we rafted down Sacramento's American River with our SF friends who drove up for the day. The rafting trip occurred when it was from 80F to 95F degrees, perfect for being on a snow fed clear cold river. The river was packed with fellow rafters, fun for all.

*and yes we do see plenty enough clouds 10 months out of the year, for 2 months in July and August its pretty darn sunny, but like today, there was high clouds, and on summer Delta Breeze/Wind days we see small clouds and marine layer clouds from the Ocean in the morning hours, sometimes at night. :-)

SACRAMENTO SUMMER WEATHER ACTIVITIES:

Footage from several yrs ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rarETAaC-rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smm5aBrw4K8

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-24-2017 at 12:30 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 01:02 AM

You make it sound like Sacramento is cloudy ten months of the year, but it's one of the sunniest cities in the country! Realistically more like the three winter months, right?

Old 07-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I actually live in Sacramento, and this is a small example of why a 30+ degree diurnal range is awesome:

Even though the high topped out at 96F, we enjoyed most of our day with temps in the 70's, not the 80's nor 90's. We enjoyed a very comfortable day going OUTSIDE for ice cream at a local family creamery with the kids, walked the dogs OUTSIDE, hung out with friends OUTSIDE at a Beer Garden. All morning long, in the early afternoon, in the evening and all night it was very comfortable to comfortable temps. It was easy to avoid those few hours in the 90's.

The next day: While the temp was in the LOW 60's, we exercised OUTSIDE, mowed the lawn, and gardened. Later that day we rafted down Sacramento's American River with our SF friends who drove up for the day. The rafting trip occurred when it was from 80F to 95F degrees, perfect for being on a snow fed clear cold river. The river was packed with fellow rafters, fun for all.

*and yes we do see plenty enough clouds 10 months out of the year, for 2 months in July and August its pretty darn sunny, but like today, there was high clouds, and on summer Delta Breeze/Wind days we see small clouds and marine layer clouds from the Ocean in the morning hours, sometimes at night. :-)

SACRAMENTO SUMMER WEATHER ACTIVITIES:

Footage from several yrs ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rarETAaC-rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smm5aBrw4K8
Yesterday the high in Sac was 100 and 12 of the 24 hours were spent in the 80's or above.

Lets just say the average person gets up at 8a and goes to bed at 10p on a Sunday, only 4 hours during that time frame would have had temps below 80.

Honestly what hours are you awake? lol

Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yesterday the high in Sac was 100 and 12 of the 24 hours were spent in the 80's or above.

Lets just say the average person gets up at 8a and goes to bed at 10p on a Sunday, only 4 hours during that time frame would have had temps below 80.

Honestly what hours are you awake? lol
Wheres the data? No worries if you can't find it, the 80's are perfectly fine, most don't complain when the dew point is comfortable and the humidity is less than 20%.

Even 90's is not bad when you use common sense and don't overstress yourself. Use the a/c and limit direct sun exposure which is easy to do.

Most importantly, is that we have temps in the 50's, 60's, and 70's in our average summer day which makes a huge difference in comfort levels. It's psychologically beneficial as well.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Wheres the data? No worries if you can't find it, the 80's are perfectly fine, most don't complain when the dew point is comfortable and the humidity is less than 20%.

Even 90's is not bad when you use common sense and don't overstress yourself. Use the a/c and limit direct sun exposure which is easy to do.

Most importantly, is that we have temps in the 50's, 60's, and 70's in our average summer day which makes a huge difference in comfort levels. It's psychologically beneficial as well.
wunderground.com from the Sac Executive Airport station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento