U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,563,160 times

Advertisements

Since we have been in the dead of summer, how cold was it 6 months ago, JANUARY 2017-WINTER

How many Days was the High in the 50's and 60"s?

Sacramento: 22 days

Denver: 12 days

Portland: 2 days

How many Days was the High in the 30's, 20's, Teens and Single Digits:

Portland: 15 days

Denver: 10 days

Sacramento: Zero days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 AM

2,816 posts, read 4,055,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I am starting to think I should ditch San Diego for the glorious weather in Sacramento.

It sounds like an absolute paradise on earth.

Never too cloudy, never too sunny, never too hot (except for those 5 minutes a day it hits 90), never too cold, never too rainy, never too humid, never too dry, never anything but PERFECT day in, day out.

San Diego's weather is an absolute hellhole compared to Sacramento's weather!

Oh my gosh, Sacramento's weather just sounds unbelievable!

Thanks for the good belly laugh. I needed it.
Chim may exaggerate, but weather is a matter of personal preference. Sacramento is sunnier overall than San Diego, and the humidity is lower, but then so is Las Vegas... San Diego would probably be like 99th percentile, and Sacramento 95th percentile. Give SD an A and Sac an A minus. Neither warrants too many complaints.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Chim may exaggerate, but weather is a matter of personal preference. Sacramento is sunnier overall than San Diego, and the humidity is lower, but then so is Las Vegas... San Diego would probably be like 99th percentile, and Sacramento 95th percentile. Give SD an A and Sac an A minus. Neither warrants too many complaints.
Thanks for the support Tstieber but I report facts I don't exaggerate. I started this thread because, like a lot of us, I did not pay attention to details and actual data. I used to believe stereotypes without checking out their validity.

Once I started observing I noticed how good, how comfortable a typical Sacramento summer day really is, and how it was different than other sunny cities in the west, especially the southwest.

Then I started to notice how much more comfortable Sacramento was over other cities in the Central Valley and why. Then I noticed how much more comfortable we were over much of the other metros across the country.

Then people from across the country started to pipe in about how much they agreed with the facts I was reporting, and how they always thought Sacramento was quite comfortable from where ever they came from back east, from the midwest, the south and the southwest, "As far as I'm concerned Sacramento was no more uncomfortable from my hometown in the south, in fact, it is a lot more comfortable and cooler than my hometown".

People from other parts of the country started to mention how people on the California coast were the ones who were actually "exaggerating" Sacramento weather. People who didn't live here, or never lived here. So I started to observe the data even more.

Regarding SD weather, too monotonous, very little seasonal changes, too humid(compared to Sacramento) and that perfect range of 60-70F for much of the year only extends so far east away from the coast. Its hot, really hot, not far the coast in SD. I don't like that it averages only 8-10 inches of rain per year, too,

Old 07-29-2017, 12:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 5,128,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Regarding SD weather, too monotonous, very little seasonal changes, too humid(compared to Sacramento) and that perfect range of 60-70F for much of the year only extends so far east away from the coast. Its hot, really hot, not far the coast in SD. I don't like that it averages only 8-10 inches of rain per year, too,
We've had this discussion before, but since you're stressing facts here, the readings for "San Diego" are taken by the coast.

Go just a few miles inland (like where I live) and you do, indeed, have a noticeable change of seasons and wider variety in temperatures.

I'm in an unincorporated part of San Diego County, half an hour from where the "official" SD temps are taken, and our weather is quite different. We have hotter daytime temps in the summer (but like Sac, it usually drops 15 or so degrees at night), colder winter nights (frost quite often, even a bit of snow from time to time and we get significantly more rain than where the "official" readings are taken), and glorious spring days.

Our weather is probably much closer to Sacramento's. (While I'm outside the city of San Diego, there ARE areas within the city that have similar weather, that is different than the "official" data you report).

Of course, I'm sure that it is the same with Sacramento. Go half an hour in either direction from where the official temps are recorded, and there is probably quite a bit of variation in micro-climates from the "official" data as well.

So, I would caution against saying that San Diego weather is "boring." It's only boring if you stand in one spot, day after day.

Please understand, I was not bashing Sacramento in my post above; as I've said before, I like Sacramento a lot. I was just chuckling at the absurdity of a 133 pages devoted to discussing how perfect Sacramento's weather is.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 PM

2,816 posts, read 4,055,555 times
Quote:
We've had this discussion before, but since you're stressing facts here, the readings for "San Diego" are taken by the coast.

Go just a few miles inland (like where I live) and you do, indeed, have a noticeable change of seasons and wider variety in temperatures.

I'm in an unincorporated part of San Diego County, half an hour from where the "official" SD temps are taken, and our weather is quite different. We have hotter daytime temps in the summer (but like Sac, it usually drops 15 or so degrees at night), colder winter nights (frost quite often, even a bit of snow from time to time and we get significantly more rain than where the "official" readings are taken), and glorious spring days.

Our weather is probably much closer to Sacramento's. (While I'm outside the city of San Diego, there ARE areas within the city that have similar weather, that is different than the "official" data you report).

Of course, I'm sure that it is the same with Sacramento. Go half an hour in either direction from where the official temps are recorded, and there is probably quite a bit of variation in micro-climates from the "official" data as well.

So, I would caution against saying that San Diego weather is "boring." It's only boring if you stand in one spot, day after day.

Please understand, I was not bashing Sacramento in my post above; as I've said before, I like Sacramento a lot. I was just chuckling at the absurdity of a 133 pages devoted to discussing how perfect Sacramento's weather is.
Great post. We also now live in SD full-time, also a bit inland (1000 ft elevation in eastern Scripps Ranch, near Poway border), and you are spot on. Hotter summers, cooler winters, more rain, more sun. Diurnal range is about 20 degrees or more in summer (lately 80s/60s), but nowhere near as hot as Sacramento on a regular basis. The coast has been unusually socked in with marine layer lately. We definitely have our microclimates too, and there is no one SD weather.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:

You should understand I am originally from SD, spent my childhood and teenage years in the City limits of San Diego (Clairemont, think Balboa & Clairemont, think Balboa between the 5 and the 805), which back then was a 5-15 min drive with traffic to PB and La Jolla. I still like SD a lot, always will.

I did not say SD weather was boring, rather I said how much it lacked in seasonal changes and it was monotonous.

Compared to the Sac Region, I still think the whole SD region lacks in diversity in weather along with its lack of rainfall no matter how far east you go as the mountains lack the kind of forest we have up here and the average snowfall between 4,000 - 10,000 ft. pales in comparison to up here, hence the reason the SouthLand doesn't ship their water north, rather we ship our water south.

Our winters our colder and wetter, hence why there are several world class ski resorts under 2hrs with a ton of snow. The mountains down in SD Region do not receive the amount of snow and rain we get up here. I was snow skiing this month (July) at a Tahoe Ski Resort.

As far as 133 pages, that's not just on me, thats on everyone else that posts in this thread, weather they live here or not, and or have never lived here before.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-29-2017 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 08:46 PM

266 posts, read 243,312 times
Quote:
Since we have been in the dead of summer, how cold was it 6 months ago, JANUARY 2017-WINTER

How many Days was the High in the 50's and 60"s?

Sacramento: 22 days

Denver: 12 days

Portland: 2 days

How many Days was the High in the 30's, 20's, Teens and Single Digits:

Portland: 15 days

Denver: 10 days

Sacramento: Zero days
Why switch cities? Be consistent, chim.

Fresno - 28 days of 50+ degree highs last January

28 beats 22

Watch him try to chim-spin out of this

Old 07-29-2017, 09:17 PM

7,448 posts, read 5,128,009 times
Quote:

As far as 133 pages, that's not just on me, thats on everyone else that posts in this thread, weather they live here or not, and or have never lived here before.
I never said you wrote all 133 pages. I just said that I was chuckling at the absurdity of a 133 page, three year long discussion about the weather in Sacramento.

I'd say the same thing if there was a 133 page, three year long thread on the weather in the San Diego forum or the forum for any other city or state.

I mean, it's the weather. It can be summed up in a page or two (or maybe a day or two if there's a major weather event).

Heck, even the forums for places with serious weather, like Chicago, or Wisconsin or North Dakota, don't have three year long 133 page threads discussing the weather.

You guys in Sac must not have much to talk about. (joking!)

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-29-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Why switch cities? Be consistent, chim.

Fresno - 28 days of 50+ degree highs last January

28 beats 22

Watch him try to chim-spin out of this
Cool, now you do Dec and March 2017 for Sacramento, Seattle and Portland.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I never said you wrote all 133 pages. I just said that I was chuckling at the absurdity of a 133 page, three year long discussion about the weather in Sacramento.

I'd say the same thing if there was a 133 page, three year long thread on the weather in the San Diego forum or the forum for any other city or state.

I mean, it's the weather. It can be summed up in a page or two (or maybe a day or two if there's a major weather event).

Heck, even the forums for places with serious weather, like Chicago, or Wisconsin or North Dakota, don't have three year long 133 page threads discussing the weather.

You guys in Sac must not have much to talk about. (joking!)
And here you are posting in this thread....

The weather is no joking matter. Often, the weather is a serious matter, involving the loss of life and property damage, not just in Chicago, but in Sacramento and pretty much everyplace across the globe including San Diego.

As you can see by some of the videos I've posted Sacramentans do more than talk about the weather, that would be just nerdy-weather me, and a few other folks.

Midnight, Jul 30, 2017

Chicago - 75F
Sacramento - 70F

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-30-2017 at 01:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento