U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 PM

5,240 posts, read 5,564,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Also, of note: This air hits everyone different. My fiancé could not breathe today when she was just walking out and about. I am almost fine with it. It seems that everyone has their own tolerance level. But, as stated before, it is nice that the smoke has created a virtual cloud cover to shield us from some of this heat.
The air is just bad all over California (except SF) they have been lucky not to get the smoke from the Forest Fires, except for 2 days it was bad in the city last month. The Yosemite Valley has been filled with Smoke and Unhealthy Air for the last 2 weeks.

Climate change may not affect your area in the form of fires, but it will affect your location either by flood, hurricane, tornado, extreme cold, extreme heat, extended frigid winters; it will "get" your area one way or another.

But Fire, is one of the worst, and it's just going to get worse and worse each year. The worst I've ever experienced bad air, and smoke was in the most unlikeliest places in the Pacific Northwest in beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia. That August there were over 500 forest fires burning in British Colombia, mostly north of Vancouver and on Vancouver Island. For 3 days, the city of Vancouver was covered in pea-soup zero-visibility SMOKE, it was unbelievable how bad it was. The smoke floated in just like a huge fog bank rolling over Twin Peaks in SF. It was suffocatingly toxic.

But, Let's be open minded and open the narrative to more than climate change: The fires are often caused by arson, irresponsible and careless people and people living outdoors in places they should not be living. We have people building fires in extremely flammable areas, 24/7; the chances of fire tragedies happening has increased exponentially. My heart goes out to the homeless, but I've seen them build illegal fires all over the place, and nobody seems to care.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-06-2018 at 10:57 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,295,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
The air is just bad all over California (except SF) they have been lucky not to get the smoke from the Forest Fires, except for 2 days it was bad in the city last month.

If you are strong believer in climate change being the cause of this horrible California Fire Season. Climate change make not affect your area in the form of fires, but it will affect your location either by flood, hurricane, tornado, extreme cold, extreme heat, extended frigid winters; it will "get" your area one way or another.

But Fire, is one of the worst, and it's just going to get worse and worse each year.

But, Let's be open minded and open the narrative to more than climate change: The fires are often caused by arson, irresponsible and careless people and poeple living outdoors in places they should not be living. We have people building fires in extremely flammable areas, 24/7; the chances of fire tragedies happening has increased exponentially.
All of this is true, but it is also true that these factors are compounded by Sac's geography. We are stuck in a valley where all of the particulate matter that you referenced settles in and sticks. The air quality in Sacramento has an unfavorable rating for air quality in virtually all of the major categories (smog, particulate, pollen/allergens).

BTW, off topic, but I went to the Pride Parade (a month ago, or so?). A random girl actually invited me. It was a major event. I was quite surprised to find that Sac has risen on a social stratosphere of acceptance, to the point that major corporations led the charge - some of which were tech companies. Now, if he air quality could catch up in its evolution we'd be in great shape .

Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
All of this is true, but it is also true that these factors are compounded by Sac's geography. We are stuck in a valley where all of the particulate matter that you referenced settles in and sticks. The air quality in Sacramento has an unfavorable rating for air quality in virtually all of the major categories (smog, particulate, pollen/allergens).

BTW, off topic, but I went to the Pride Parade (a month ago, or so?). A random girl actually invited me. It was a major event. I was quite surprised to find that Sac has risen on a social stratosphere of acceptance, to the point that major corporations led the charge - some of which were tech companies. Now, if he air quality could catch up in its evolution we'd be in great shape .
Pollen/allegrens is much worse than Sac in hundreds of others cities across the USA. Minus, forest fires, Sac could dramtically reduce bad air days by simply driving zero emission cars. Particulate matter is double and triple worse in the San Joaquin Valley and LA.

Coastal LA has the ocean almost constantly flushing the air, yet coastal LA is still worse than Sacramento because of the sheer amount of people and cars. In both SF and LA, have you ever been there when the ocean air is stagnant, zero wind, the LA coast turns into a toxic nightmare in one hour, you smell the car exhaust, there is never a place cars aren't polluting your immediate area.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 AM

2,817 posts, read 4,056,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Pollen/allegrens is much worse than Sac in hundreds of others cities across the USA. Minus, forest fires, Sac could dramtically reduce bad air days by simply driving zero emission cars. Particulate matter is double and triple worse in the San Joaquin Valley and LA.

Coastal LA has the ocean almost constantly flushing the air, yet coastal LA is still worse than Sacramento because of the sheer amount of people and cars. In both SF and LA, have you ever been there when the ocean air is stagnant, zero wind, the LA coast turns into a toxic nightmare in one hour, you smell the car exhaust, there is never a place cars aren't polluting your immediate area.
Whenever we drive from San Diego to LA, we invariably notice the brown layer of smog in the northern distance once we hit Northern OC. It is ever present. In SF, the moment the coastal breeze stops, we are shocked to see the Bay looking exactly the same as LA, very quickly.

Regarding the recent fires, the coastal Bay area, including Oakland, has generally escaped the bad air, but we can see the smoke layer to our North and East every day. Mt Diablo's summit has been enshrouded in smoke most days during the past two weeks, and inland areas like Walnut Creek, Alamo, Pleasanton, etc. have had on and off days where the air quality has been above 100 or even 150. Never seen such persistently smoky skies in CA before.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:22 AM

2,083 posts, read 3,333,473 times
I'm stuck inside with breathing difficulties due to the smoke, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm seeing an increasing number of articles talking about our fires are getting worse due to poor forest management. First, lack of maintenance by PG&E of their lines (they've lost in court several times over this, so apparently it's true.) And second, Forestry is hampered by environmental groups (ooooh--don't hurt that snail) from clearing out deadfall and underbrush that sit there ready to fuel future fires.

Before everyone got so fussy, Forestry crews would clean out areas to help mitigate the spread of whatever fired did start--now the forests are tinderboxes with tons of dead material ready to go up in a flash.

We need to get back to the basics of fire management and stop worrying about every little bug that's survived for millions of years without our help.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:02 AM

501 posts, read 393,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I'm stuck inside with breathing difficulties due to the smoke, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I'm seeing an increasing number of articles talking about our fires are getting worse due to poor forest management. First, lack of maintenance by PG&E of their lines (they've lost in court several times over this, so apparently it's true.) And second, Forestry is hampered by environmental groups (ooooh--don't hurt that snail) from clearing out deadfall and underbrush that sit there ready to fuel future fires.

Before everyone got so fussy, Forestry crews would clean out areas to help mitigate the spread of whatever fired did start--now the forests are tinderboxes with tons of dead material ready to go up in a flash.

We need to get back to the basics of fire management and stop worrying about every little bug that's survived for millions of years without our help.
Not sure you fully understand the issue.

Here's a very well written article on some of the intersecting issues
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...ornia-burning/

Agree that the damage from the fires is very scary and saddening and the subsequent very wide spread and severe air pollution is very worrying and frustrating.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,968,310 times
Get ready. Unhealthy air.

Smoke filled air and haze from wildfires is the new normal for Sacramento. This is what the new Sacramento summers will be. Either boiling hot 100 degrees or smokey air.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Get ready. Unhealthy air.

Smoke filled air and haze from wildfires is the new normal for Sacramento. This is what the new Sacramento summers will be. Either boiling hot 100 degrees or smokey air.
Hopefully this is something you are not happy about, and you will be a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem, but since its a big secret of where you actually live, maybe you just don't care about Sacramento but continue to post in its threads.

Anywhere there are forests in the West, cities are vulnerable to bad air.

SoCal has been dealing with destructive wildfires for the last 100 years; be careful what you wish for because the entire state is a tinder box and the hills of Southern Cal are still extremely vulnerable as they have always been.

As the ocean warms SoCal could become vulnerable to Hurricanes because of Climate Change. I was in New Zealand earlier this year and a Cyclone(the Southern Hemishere's Hurricanes) broke all records by traveling the furthest south of any Cyclone in recorded history. The last few Hurricanes on our side of the Pacific traveled much further north than normal....all they need is slighty warmer water. Hopefully a Hurricane will never hit the Southern Cal Coast, but who would have thought the largest forest fire in California history would burn Mendocino County.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-07-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Here's a very well written article on some of the intersecting issues
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...ornia-burning/
Although I am not refuting the facts of his reports, I had some issues with the article, it was one paragraph after another of "doom" and "gloom". With all the climate change talk and the leftist slant, the author didn't focus on the fact that more people are living in California (and the planet) than ever before, and the increase in population alone means we are going to have more fires with more destruction. Fifty years ago, in California, we didn't have ten of thousands of homes in the suburbs and exurbs that could be burned. We have triple the amount of people recreating and being irresponsible in wildfire prone areas. We also do not clear underbrush the way we used to. In addition, we have ten of thousands of (homeless) of people building fires everyday and night in extremely vulnerable areas. Minus climate change, we would still have these causes making our fire vulnerability exponential worse.

August 8, 2018, "weee hrs of the morning"

San Francisco - Burrr, 49F (wind chill) SF is the only major city in the nation with "wind chill" and "feels like" temps lower than standing air temp in the middle of the summer. :-)

South Lake Tahoe - 52F
Seattle - 64F
Sacramento - 64F
Denver - 64F - Sac is consistently as cool or even cooler than Denver all summer at night and in the morning.
Portland - 71F - Heat wave in Oregon?

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-08-2018 at 04:41 AM..

Old 08-08-2018, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post

Yes, these reasons have little to do with climate change. We blame climate change for everything, when overpopulation, building closer and within high fire prone areas, and allowing people to live and build fires in our urban and rural parklands are the main causes for these horrible fires.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-08-2018 at 04:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento