U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 01:59 AM

5,239 posts, read 5,558,114 times

Advertisements

Again, Jester has it wrong, wrong, wrong about Sacramento rain, just about everything he says about Sacramento and Northern California weather. But he tries.

Rain/Precp Season 2018-19 to date:

NorCal has been just slightly above normal:
Tahoe/Northern Sierra: 67.12 inches
Redding-Sacramento Valley: 38.55 inches
Sacramento 22.69 inches

SoCal has been 125% to 150% of normal
Long Beach: 17.07 inches
Riverside: 12.65 inches
Bakersfield-San Joaquin Valley: 5.94 inches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 AM

2,816 posts, read 4,053,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Again, Jester has it wrong, wrong, wrong about Sacramento rain, just about everything he says about Sacramento and Northern California weather. But he tries.

Rain/Precp Season 2018-19 to date:

NorCal has been just slightly above normal:
Tahoe/Northern Sierra: 67.12 inches
Redding-Sacramento Valley: 38.55 inches
Sacramento 22.69 inches

SoCal has been 125% to 150% of normal
Long Beach: 17.07 inches
Riverside: 12.65 inches
Bakersfield-San Joaquin Valley: 5.94 inches
Sac is actually an impressive 120-122 percent of average. Nice!

Don't forget Palm Springs at 8.87" is a whopping 161 percent of average! DTLA is at an impressive 18.00, and my nearby Ramona is 18.86, but those are only 126 percent of average.

What's amazing is that it's now late April, and we've still got most our hills covered in verdant green and wildflowers in San Diego. I think that's the latest I've seen this solid level of green remaining. I think it'll be May before i the vegetation really dries out. Presumably, the Sierra Foothills are also enjoying that. Eventually, the heat will get all of it.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Funny thing about Sacramento is that rain in Sac tends to be light and drizzly, kind of like Seattle. While SoCal rain is very heavy, with big raindrops, like Texas or Florida.
It all depends on the particular storm and the particular microclimate. Neither Sac nor SoCal can generalize like that. I will say my particular microclimate in SD gives us extremely heavy downpours whereas downtown rarely gets more than light rain Sacramento and the Bay Area are the same way. One area, like Marin or Sonoma, can get heavy rains while another, like San Jose or Livermore get mere drizzle. Consider that Santa Rosa, for example, is at nearly 44 inches for the season (incredible!) while Livermore and San Jose hover around 15 (less than LA or OC). And my neighborhood has nearly 60 percent more rain than downtown San Diego despite being in the same city. It's more localized than regionalized.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:55 AM

3,256 posts, read 1,107,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It all depends on the particular storm and the particular microclimate. Neither Sac nor SoCal can generalize like that. I will say my particular microclimate in SD gives us extremely heavy downpours whereas downtown rarely gets more than light rain Sacramento and the Bay Area are the same way. One area, like Marin or Sonoma, can get heavy rains while another, like San Jose or Livermore get mere drizzle. Consider that Santa Rosa, for example, is at nearly 44 inches for the season (incredible!) while Livermore and San Jose hover around 15 (less than LA or OC). And my neighborhood has nearly 60 percent more rain than downtown San Diego despite being in the same city. It's more localized than regionalized.
I can see that, but explain. I grew up in Irvine and Rancho Santa Margarita. Now it gets less rain than Sacramento, but when it rains, it pours. Just as heavy as those summer thunderstorms in New Orleans.

Of course Sacramento gets more rain on average, but it seems like here in Davis, it's just a lingering, drizzly rain most of the time. Isn't that how Seattle and most of the PNW is like? I know Sac isn't PNW, but if the entire PNW has this drizzly rain, than why wouldn't the entire Sac have drizzly rain?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I can see that, but explain. I grew up in Irvine and Rancho Santa Margarita. Now it gets less rain than Sacramento, but when it rains, it pours. Just as heavy as those summer thunderstorms in New Orleans.

Of course Sacramento gets more rain on average, but it seems like here in Davis, it's just a lingering, drizzly rain most of the time. Isn't that how Seattle and most of the PNW is like? I know Sac isn't PNW, but if the entire PNW has this drizzly rain, than why wouldn't the entire Sac have drizzly rain?
Great question! The entire Pacific Northwest doesn't actually have drizzly rain either. Each part of the West Coast has microclimates that get heavy downpours and microclimates that only get drizzly rain. Seattle is actually in a rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains, which, believe or not, spares it from the heavier rains at the coast. The nearby Olympic Peninsula averages between 140 inches in a year in the lowlands to 200 inches a year in the mountains. It's the wettest place in the United States! Seattle averages under 40 inchrs a year, which makes them bone dry by Northwestern standards. That's because they get almost 170 days of precipitation a year, they are constantly getting drizzle.

Davis is also somewhat in a rain shadow from the mountains to the west, although not nearly as much as places like the Santa Clara Valley, the Livermore Valley, or the Tracy and Stockton areas, which average only around 15 inch or less per year and have comparable accumulations to the Los Angeles basin and even less than the San Fernando Valley.

What you'll notice in general is that flat valleys east of mountain ranges will have lighter rain and lower accumulations than areas to the west of those ranges or surrounded by hills and mountains. Hills and mountains add orographic lift, which basically means that when the air hits the mountains and is deflected upwards into the sky, it cools above that area and can't hold the rain. That's why the Sierra Foothills get so much more rain than the Central Valley itself. In my San Diego neighborhood, we are also in some pretty high hills already, around 900 feet, surrounded by 2500 foot peaks. That's why I get 60% more rainfall and much, much heavier rains, than the official reporting station 20 miles away where it's flat and right on the bay.

I've been to Irvine and Los Angeles many times during rain storms, and I agree that when it rains, it pours in some of those areas. but there will be other parts of the region that don't get the heavy rain. Long Beach is one of those areas, because it is just to the south and east of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, which also shields it.

Bottom line, there is no general rule about the entire Pacific Northwest, or all of SoCal, or all of NorCal. We have such varied topography that it depends on the Unique microclimates.

The best rule of thumb on the west coast is that it gets more wet as you go farther north, farther west to the coast, and farther up in elevation. It gets more dry as you go farther south, farther inland, and down in elevation. So the wettest parts of the West Coast will be the mountains of the Olympic Peninsula in the Northwestern corner on the country, and the driest parts of the West Coast will be the low desert of Southeastern California. Everything in between is a hodgepodge patchwork, where even some inland parts of Oregon get less rain than Los Angeles, and Palomar Mountain in San Diego County gets more rain than Seattle. So focus on those three factors of latitude, proximity to the coast, and elevation, and you'll almost always find your answer.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:57 PM

Definitely getting into that time of year where Sacramento has some of the best weather in the country.

9 PM temps:

Sacramento 80F
Fresno 83F
Las Vegas 84F
Seattle 53F
Portland 58F
San Francisco 60F
San Diego 61F

Enjoy!

Old 04-25-2019, 12:16 AM

Yes, our Endless Sunshine Season has begun! We took the Raft out on the American River this evening to get "our feet wet" for the coming rafting season.

And just 4 days ago it was in the low 50's at 9pm. It was "freezing" (50's) in San Jose Saturday. We took the train down to San Jose to see the Quakes play, easy walking distance from the Santa Clara University train station to Avaya Soccer Stadium. Relaxing enjoyable trip.

The Average High for Sacramento today is 75F, and Average Low is 50.

We almost always experience several days up to a week of the coming season, in this case, the coming season is Summer.

Last winter, we had several days of spring like high temps.

Last summer, we had a several days of fall like temps.

Last fall, we had a several days of winter like temps.

Last edited by Chimérique; 04-25-2019 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 12:25 AM

I usually post monthly stats. I'm still playing catch-up.

January 2019 - Sacramento

High Temps: Number of days:

60's - 12 days
50's - 19 days
49 and below - Zero days

Low Temps; Number of days:
40's - 14 days
30's - 11 days
20's - 1 day

Old 04-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I usually post monthly stats. I'm still playing catch-up.

January 2019 - Sacramento

High Temps: Number of days:

60's - 12 days
50's - 19 days
49 and below - Zero days

Low Temps; Number of days:
40's - 14 days
30's - 11 days
20's - 1 day
Except for the one night in the 20s, that's basically identical to my January!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Yes, our Endless Sunshine Season has begun! We took the Raft out on the American River this evening to get "our feet wet" for the coming rafting season.

And just 4 days ago it was in the low 50's at 9pm. It was "freezing" (50's) in San Jose Saturday. We took the train down to San Jose to see the Quakes play, easy walking distance from the Santa Clara University train station to Avaya Soccer Stadium. Relaxing enjoyable trip.

The Average High for Sacramento today is 75F, and Average Low is 50.

We almost always experience several days up to a week of the coming season, in this case, the coming season is Summer.

Last winter, we had several days of spring like high temps.

Last summer, we had a several days of fall like temps.

Last fall, we had a several days of winter like temps.
I think that's normal everywhere. Right now, we've been getting extremely foggy mornings as a precursor to May Gray. But it clears nicely by late morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento