Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 02:01 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Hey mixxalot and dontbelieve,

Layers, layers, layers is how you deal with those cool mornings, and nights. Wear long sleeves or a light weight jacket/sweater. Besides, when exercising outdoors cool temps are your best friend. :-)

May 9, 2019, 5:30PM (after work)

Minneapolis - feels like temp 48F
San Francisco - feels like temp 54F
Philadelphia - 62F
San Diego - 63F
SACRAMENTO - 74F
Orlando - 81F
Phoenix - 88F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,008,706 times
May 11th 2019

It's going to heat up and cool down nice next week.
Typical may forecast for CA

Old 05-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey mixxalot and dontbelieve,

Layers, layers, layers is how you deal with those cool mornings, and nights. Wear long sleeves or a light weight jacket/sweater. Besides, when exercising outdoors cool temps are your best friend. :-)

May 9, 2019, 5:30PM (after work)

Minneapolis - feels like temp 48F
San Francisco - feels like temp 54F
Philadelphia - 62F
San Diego - 63F
SACRAMENTO - 74F
Orlando - 81F
Phoenix - 88F
No point layering up now. Summer will be here in a few weeks, so I might as well soak up the chill before it's gone for good.

Hmmmm

Reno 50
Portland 51
Sac 53
SLC 55
Boise 57
Idaho falls 57
Fresno 62

Old 05-12-2019, 08:30 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I don't live in Sac but I've noticed it's a bit odd when it comes to sunshine. Overall it's one of the sunniest sots in the country measured by total annual sunshine hours--more than even SD or LA. Yet it has two very cloudy months: 48 percent in December and an even gloomier 41 percent in January. Granted the other 10 months of the year are very bright, but for 2 months you might as well be in Seattle. Not sure I'd like that. San Diego gets less total sun but the lowest percentage it ever gets to is 58 percent in May, so it stays much more consistent. Sac is a bit more bipolar.
As Chim said, that 'bipolar' climate is the very textbook definition of a 'Mediterranean' climate. That's exactly what it is. SoCal starts becoming a hybrid of Mediterranean/coastal desert, while Southern Oregon is a hybrid of Mediterranean/PNW. Sacramento is squarely smack dab in the heart of the Mediterranean zone. The same climate is also in northern Israel.

Chim, Sacramento and Davis average 93f in summer, and Sacramento airport averages 92. I've never heard of any part of the area averaging as low as 88f in summer. Did you mean the range of average highs between all three summer months? That would make sense, but I wasn't sure if you were talking about microclimates or just the range of summer highs.

BTW, down here in SD, we're really getting that May Gray badly this year, as we did last year. But last year, it was a welcome relief after a dry and sunny winter. This year, it's insult to injury. We had rain five nights in a row last week, including a heavy downpour yesterday morning. But at least we cleared out in the PM and even broke 70f for once. This morning, socked in with Marine layer again... So depressing. Bonus: I've never seen greenery and wildflowers last into mid May in the hills. And water bills are lower. More rain for Thursday...

Each of our climates has pros and cons. Yes, Phoenix gets hot, but they have wonderful balmy evenings. Yes, Sacramento is sunnier than coastal SoCal, but it is top-heavy during the dry season and gloomier in winter. Yes, San Diego has a fairly temperate climate year round, but we haven't had a balmy evening for shorts and t-shirts in at least six or seven months. Yes, Honolulu has those warm nights, but it's always the same. Yes, Seattle has amazing summers but eight months of awful.

I guess we just have to accept that no climate is perfect, but many of us, including you Sacramentans, are luckier than most of the country.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:13 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I'm coming home this weekend, so I cannot wait to experience Sacramento weather again. (Although it has been WONDERFUL in Arizona)

Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm coming home this weekend, so I cannot wait to experience Sacramento weather again. (Although it has been WONDERFUL in Arizona)
If you're coming in this weekend, you're going to be sorely disappointed. No typical Sacramento May weather on tap for you. In fact, it's going the west coast will feel more like late winter than mid-spring, thanks to a huge, deep trough of low pressure. You should expect temperatures as much as 20 degrees below average, record cold overnight temps possible, and rain. Heck, we had rain in San Diego five nights in a row last week, and a big storm coming Thu/Fri this week. Even Palm Springs, which has been getting close to triple digits, will drop to the 70s by late in the week -- verrry unusual for this time of year.

In short, probably the worst possible May weekend you could visit. :-(

Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Welcome Back, the weather has been Gorgeous here as well.

The last 12 days have had highs from 70F to 85F; lows primarily high 40's to low 50's. Plenty of sun.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
If you're coming in this weekend, you're going to be sorely disappointed. No typical Sacramento May weather on tap for you. In fact, it's going the west coast will feel more like late winter than mid-spring, thanks to a huge, deep trough of low pressure. You should expect temperatures as much as 20 degrees below average, record cold overnight temps possible, and rain. Heck, we had rain in San Diego five nights in a row last week, and a big storm coming Thu/Fri this week. Even Palm Springs, which has been getting close to triple digits, will drop to the 70s by late in the week -- verrry unusual for this time of year.

In short, probably the worst possible May weekend you could visit. :-(
Ok, mister doom and gloom. :-)

It's hasn't rained in Sacramento for 2 weeks I think, the Foothills did have a day or two of hail a week ago.

If it does indeed rain this coming weekend, It just means more green for a long time. The long dry season is coming no need to

Rain to date:

San Diego 12.41 inches
Sacramento 22.69 inches
Tahoe/Northern Sierra 67.12 inches

Old 05-14-2019, 01:42 AM

Cold in sac, but perfect 3 hours south?
;P
How many more inches of rain for sac? It's barely going to rain down here in Fresno.

Our forecast. Cheers and safe driving, chim.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Ok, mister doom and gloom. :-)

It's hasn't rained in Sacramento for 2 weeks I think, the Foothills did have a day or two of hail a week ago.

If it does indeed rain this coming weekend, It just means more green for a long time. The long dry season is coming no need to

Rain to date:

San Diego 12.41 inches
Sacramento 22.69 inches
Tahoe/Northern Sierra 67.12 inches
That's interesting! The Bay Area also got some of that rain that had been plaguing SoCal. Sac must have been just north of the boundary. I do know Redding and points north have been gorgeous.

We've had a perfect rainy season. Most of the state is slightly above average, but the rain fell in moderate amounts over many days, which meant no flooding and maximum absorption. This has been good for Wildlife and urban gardens. Meanwhile, the Sierra snowpack had been even better: cold and dense, just what we need for our water supplies. I will say that even after rainier winters than this one, I've never seen California so green in mid May. It was always golden by this time of year already. So it's definitely been a good season.

BTW, Sac and SD airports reached decent seasonal rainfall at around 120% of average, but nowhere near the top of the list for rainy winters. Merely the frequency of rain has been unusual. And some cities have had more impressed deviations from rain, such as Long Beach at 141% of average (17.10"), Irvine at 133% (17.51), and Ramona at 123% (19.46"), which is usually close to my neighborhood stats. Looks like we actually beat Oakland , the South Bay, and the entire San Joaquin Valley! SD Airport even beat Modesto this year. Spotty impressiveness around the state this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento