Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times

Advertisements

Damn! It's gonna be FREEZING. It was 98 degrees in AZ and I wore a sweater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:10 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Damn! It's gonna be FREEZING. It was 98 degrees in AZ and I wore a sweater.
Thats just wrong. Phoenix - 98F in early May - high ozone/smog alert.

May 14, 2019 11:30pm

Phoenix - It's still 82F at midnight - that's just wrong

Sacramento - Feels like temp 57F (actual temp 59F) - Perfect running weather.
San Francisco - Feels like 55F
Portland - 54F
Seattle - Feels like 52F
Philadelphia - Feels like 46F

Sacramento is never 82F at midnight even in our worst of worst heat waves.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
That's interesting! The Bay Area also got some of that rain that had been plaguing SoCal. Sac must have been just north of the boundary. I do know Redding and points north have been gorgeous.

We've had a perfect rainy season. Most of the state is slightly above average, but the rain fell in moderate amounts over many days, which meant no flooding and maximum absorption. This has been good for Wildlife and urban gardens. Meanwhile, the Sierra snowpack had been even better: cold and dense, just what we need for our water supplies. I will say that even after rainier winters than this one, I've never seen California so green in mid May. It was always golden by this time of year already. So it's definitely been a good season.

BTW, Sac and SD airports reached decent seasonal rainfall at around 120% of average, but nowhere near the top of the list for rainy winters. Merely the frequency of rain has been unusual. And some cities have had more impressed deviations from rain, such as Long Beach at 141% of average (17.10"), Irvine at 133% (17.51), and Ramona at 123% (19.46"), which is usually close to my neighborhood stats. Looks like we actually beat Oakland , the South Bay, and the entire San Joaquin Valley! SD Airport even beat Modesto this year. Spotty impressiveness around the state this year.
Actually Sacramento wasn't north of it as it was cloudy and it sprinkled one of those days. It rained and hailed just 25 miles east of Sac in the foothills.

There were 2 different systems, one of them came from the east (as opposed to normally coming form the west). They kept threatening that the thunderstorms would travel west and drop down over Sacramento, one of those days it did, but no rain, and the other days they never came over Sac, but you could see the giant thunderclouds just to the east over the foothills.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Thats just wrong. Phoenix - 98F in early May - high ozone/smog alert.

May 14, 2019 11:30pm

Sacramento is never 82F at midnight even in our worst of worst heat waves.
OMG I haven't been able to wear shorts at night since at least September. Maybe time to head to Palm Springs for a day or two.

Hey, do you recall the weird nighttime "heat burst" event a few years ago? Not sure if it happened in Sacramento too, but I know there were crazy monsoonal downdrafts one year in late summer around Vacaville, where the temperature went up from around 70f to 95f in a matter of like thirty minutes in the middle of the night. Totally rare and freaky. We had something similar one night in our neighborhood down here as well (not the same night), where it suddenly got up to 90f around 10:30-11 PM and was very windy. Ever experience that in your neck of the woods?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,570,303 times
Now we are getting some rain!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
I just touched down and im freezing my nuts off.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:30 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I just touched down and im freezing my nuts off.
Welcome to "sunny" California, home of the neverending rainy season. Current temps at 4:00 am:

Walnut Creek. 50f
Sacramento 51f
San Jose 54f
San Diego (92131). 55f

Aaaaand Phoenix. 75f!!

Enjoy this very telling quote from the San Diego forum just a few days ago:
"I’ve been here since late January. I could have stayed in Seattle for this. I will say before I moved here and I read this thread, I was feeling like I was going to miss having at least some rain. Apparently, that was the last thing I should have worried about."

I think we Californians are ready to jump off a bridge at this point.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM

166 posts, read 191,929 times
I recently moved to Texas from Sacramento area and I can speak for myself! OMG!
The fist thing is the weather what a tremendous difference. I knew the weather there is great when I was living there...and now being here...there are other reasons that I see that are better here.
One thing for sure things are a bit less expensive here. Guess that depends what area you go to.
Yes Sacramento has the best weather. Miss you Sacramento!

Old 05-18-2019, 03:42 AM

527 posts, read 1,323,970 times
I've paid more attention to this wet winter season than any other year and I've recognized a few things.

It rains and is mild from October to May that is 8 months out of the year. That's 2/3 of the year that is either raining, cold, winter, cloudy, with a few weeks of clear sunny warmth. Here we are at May 18th, 2019 with temps in the 40s and 50s and raining. You have to love this mediterranean climate, just rain and cold most of the year and then 4 months of dry 90/100 temps. Can we get some consistency here? Jesus.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob98LS1 View Post
I've paid more attention to this wet winter season than any other year and I've recognized a few things.
Perspective, sir, perspective. it's rainier just about everywhere else except the Southwest. Ya know, 3/4 of California has had the same rainy season as Sacramento has had. Oh, and the entire Northwest has had the same wet season except longer with more rain and more clouds. When its dry here, most of the rest of the country will be having summer rain and the thunderstorms while it is super humid and hot.

Read historical weather/climate data on Sacramento and then compare the historical weather data to the rest of the country, the south, southwest, midwest, east, northwest. We got it good, really good.

Did you just ignore the other 10 days or so of May when it was warm, sunny and rain free, while the Mississippi was flooding many parts of the midwest. This past year, October and April had by far more rainless days than rainy days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento