U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 11:07 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,548,283 times

Advertisements

Data is from here:

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...cipitation.php

If you feel the source is bad, you can provide me yours.

1. According to this site: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site, the historical average rainfall in Sacramento is 20 inches. I still don't understand why you choose the term "far above average" or "above average" for 19 inches of rain in 2018. That literally is not the definition of either of those terms. Can you explain that?

2. I never said Sac Winter = LA winter, what I said was, at least in the past decade, Sac looks more like LA (or in general Socal) than Portland. On average. According to the data I provided that looks to be the case. Obviously some years "look" like they are "double" of LA because doubling a small number is still a small amount. Such as 2013 where it was 6.1 for Sac and 3.6 for LA while Portland was 32.0. You probably would barely notice 6.1" vs 3.6", but you would definitely notice a huge difference between 6.1" vs 32"

3. Plus, no snow, which is again, data and perception wise, a big winter weather difference.

Last edited by Yac; 03-05-2020 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 02:01 PM

5,332 posts, read 5,653,512 times
1. Eight of the 10 years of your data does show "above average" or "well above average". Depending on the source Sacramento's average rainfall is more like 18-20 inches. I've seen some internet sources show the average as low as 17.

2. But notice Sacramento is often double, nearly double, or well above double the rain of LA.

2-continued. 95% our our rain comes in 3 months, so all 18-20 inches of our rain comes "in the winter" so it certainly feels like Portland during those months. LA had only 2 years of the 10 above 17.5 inches, Sacramento had 8 of those 10 above 17.5 inches. Experiencing at least 17.5 and above inches in 3 months is a lot of rain, a Portland-like trait, Sacramento experiences that way more than LA does.

3. Portland is colder than Sac, way colder than LA. Sacramento has freezing or near freezing LOW temps, on occasion, doesn't happen in LA, barely.

4. An LA and SoCal winter never look and feel like Portland(the Northwest). Depending on the Sacramento winter, or just parts of a Sacramento winter, or even just a string of winter days, Sacramento can and does feel like Portland way way more than LA or SoCal can, that's what I am saying.

4-continued. Regarding snow, during an average normal winter. Sacramento is so much more amenable to Winter culture, winter sports than LA. because we are so close to so much snow that is easily accessible. Part of the Tahoe Area is literally in the Sacramento CSA.

5. This current winter (in Sacramento) is an example of what a SoCal winter is like, I'm sure you can see, and feel how much dryer, warmer, and sunnier it is than our normal winters.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:44 PM

954 posts, read 355,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
This is still going. I love how you’re mentioning Fresno in the same post as these other cities. Dude, it’s Fresno. It wouldn’t matter if the weather was 75° every day. It would still be Fresno.

You live in Sacramento, aka the 2nd flattest city in America, not Zion or even the bay area. stop sniffing your own farts and get over yourself. Not even chim has as much chutzpah as you( I bet he blushed after reading your post). Sacramento might be the best inland CA city but it's far from perfect, and places like Fresno, Bakersfield, Riverside have some advantageous over sac, whether you believe it or not. I'll gladly debate you on this topic if you wish, but I rather just talk weather.
my posts are meant for other people interested in ca weather(chim, mixx, tieber, etc) and not for homers like you.
If you can't stand someone talking Fresno on this forum, I suggest you block me or just stop entering this thread.

Edit: apparently, you live in Mickey mouse land(Mrjester account?). Why are you even complaining then

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 02-27-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2020, 02:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,548,283 times
Again, I'm not saying Sac = Socal in weather, so yes I am agreeing with you that there is a difference, and that Sac gets more rain than Socal. We agree on that. I'm just saying in my personal opinion (and even looking at the data) Sac seems more like Socal than Portland or the PNW. For both the sheer amount of rain and the snow which doesn't exist here.

But I'm not a weather nerd like you to be honest so I don't really care to parse the data in fine detail. Just my personal opinion. We can leave it at that.

But I'll say one thing. When I'm driving around in a tank top with my windows down in 80 degree weather in the middle of February I surely don't think "this winter weather is just like the PNW!"

Old 02-27-2020, 02:58 PM

954 posts, read 355,866 times
This year is an anomaly, people need to toss this out of their memory after it's over.
It's a la Nina year + Amazon fires = extreme drought. People were predicting this months ago. How much rain has sac had this year, chim? Fresno has had less than 4 inches! Im guessing sac has had about 6.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 AM

3,296 posts, read 2,142,979 times
Yes, Sacramento had a great mild winter, but San Jose's weather is even more stellar- probably the best weather in the U.S. year round.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:01 PM

5,332 posts, read 5,653,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Again, I'm not saying Sac = Socal in weather, so yes I am agreeing with you that there is a difference, and that Sac gets more rain than Socal. We agree on that. I'm just saying in my personal opinion (and even looking at the data) Sac seems more like Socal than Portland or the PNW. For both the sheer amount of rain and the snow which doesn't exist here.

But I'm not a weather nerd like you to be honest so I don't really care to parse the data in fine detail. Just my personal opinion. We can leave it at that.

But I'll say one thing. When I'm driving around in a tank top with my windows down in 80 degree weather in the middle of February I surely don't think "this winter weather is just like the PNW!"
I thought that it was a "given" that Sacramento weather is more like SoCal/LA than Portland knowing Sac and LA have Mediterranean climates and are closer in latitude.

My initial description was how much MORE a Sacramento winter can be like like Portland than LA.

Look at it like this, if you are from Portland, and moved to LA there is going to be a dramatic difference in winters, you'll likely never have a day or several days in a row that are as wet and cold as Portland. But, if you moved to Sacramento you would, you'd have days that are almost as cold, and almost as wet and you would have longer stretches of those days than you would in LA.

Avergage Winters
Chances of:

Down right cold, wet, and rainy: Portland 90%; Sacramento 55%; SoCal 15%

Mild and dry: Portland 8%; Sacramento 30%; SoCal 55%

Warm, dry and sunny: Portland 2%; Sacramento 15%; SoCal 30%

Old 03-02-2020, 10:50 AM

2,832 posts, read 4,093,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
1. Eight of the 10 years of your data does show "above average" or "well above average". Depending on the source Sacramento's average rainfall is more like 18-20 inches. I've seen some internet sources show the average as low as 17.

2. But notice Sacramento is often double, nearly double, or well above double the rain of LA.
I agree with most of your points, but as to the above items, given that L A has average annual rainfall around 13 to 14 in, it would seem statistically improbable that Sacramento would OFTEN be double or above double the rain of LA unless it was a very unusual winter.

That's being said, what makes Los Angeles unique is that it receives the fewest rainy days of any major city in California, so even though the rainfall totals add up pretty well, Sacramento always average is more than double the number of rainy days, and that is probably the bigger influence on how and area feels. How much rain actually falls from the sky is somewhat irrelevant to the mood it conveys. And at the same time, as the other poster said, couple of very little is still not that much. While Los Angeles only reports rain on 25 days a year and Sacramento on about 60 days a year, Portland and Seattle receive it on nearly 170 days a year. So yes, all of California is more similar, and Sacramento is more similar to Los Angeles than it is to Seattle. And yes, you are also right that Sacramento enjoys more of those Moody, gray winter days that can be a real pleasure after so many months of endless sunshine.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:06 PM

279 posts, read 91,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
This year is an anomaly, people need to toss this out of their memory after it's over.
It's a la Nina year + Amazon fires = extreme drought. People were predicting this months ago. How much rain has sac had this year, chim? Fresno has had less than 4 inches! Im guessing sac has had about 6.
The fires will be fun this summer.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:45 AM

13,857 posts, read 24,545,550 times
Rainfall total for season is only at about 45% of normal, and no call for anything more than a possible drizzle for the next week.

Not looking good at all, snow pack measure just running around 40% of normal.

Snow Pack Conditions - Snow Water Content Chart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento