Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,163,348 times

Advertisements

Yep, Sacramento summers are absolutely wonderful.

Today, July 5, 2016 Noon

Sacramento 70F
Phoenix 100F

Today, July 5, 2016 3:00pm

Walnut Crk (Bay Area) 77F
Sacramento 82F

Phoenix 108F - Ouch

Heat Index: 3:00pm

Austin 108F
San Antonio 108F

Las Vegas 104F
Oklahoma City 103F

Dallas 102F
St. Louis 100F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 12:55 AM

Tonight, July 5, 2016 10:00pm

Last night, tonight and for the next 7 nights Sacramento evenings and nights are more like the Pacific Northwest than the Central Valley and Deserts of the Southwest. Yes in the middle of summer.

Sacramento 62F
Seattle 63F
Portland 63F

Fresno 78F

Phoenix 99F Ouch! in the middle of the night.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
I don't care what anyone says, and some say waaaaay to much, Sacramento can be oppressively hot during the summer. It doesn't matter that other places may be hotter. Hot is hot, dry or otherwise! Last week, four days in the triple-digits. By any reasonable standard, that's hot. We have 14 relatives (counting in-laws and grandchildren) still living in Sacramento and when they say it's hot, I believe them.

Now in all fairness I will give props to the delta breezes.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-06-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM

572 posts, read 592,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't care what anyone says, and some say waaaaay to much, Sacramento can be oppressively hot during the summer. It doesn't matter that other places may be hotter. Hot is hot, dry or otherwise! Last week, four days in the triple-digits. By any reasonable standard, that's hot. We have 14 relatives (counting in-laws and grandchildren) still living in Sacramento and when they say it's hot, I believe them.

Now in all fairness I will give props to the delta breezes.
Yep. It was very hot last week. Oppressively so. I think most people would agree with that. The temperature readings or whatever may say its a certain temperature at a certain time - and the heat indexes and the humidity blah blah blah. But it was bloody hot. It did cool off some at night but by 9am in the morning it was stinking hot in the sun, and just bearable in the shade. And in the evenings it was stay inside in the AC.

Now this week is a whole different story. It's been absolutely glorious weather. A great cool breeze keeping it comfortable all day long - great balmy nights for eating outside and BBQing. Warm afternoons for swimming but not too hot to be in the sun. Windows open at night - no AC needed - comfortable for sleeping. Great mornings for running/biking and doing yard work. I'm LOVING it.

It'll get hot again for a few days. And then it will get cooler again for a few days. The fact is that we have these patterns over the summer. It does get uncomfortably hot... but it is NOT uncomfortably hot all summer long without respite - there are plenty of great days.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Yep. It was very hot last week. Oppressively so. I think most people would agree with that. The temperature readings or whatever may say its a certain temperature at a certain time - and the heat indexes and the humidity blah blah blah. But it was bloody hot. It did cool off some at night but by 9am in the morning it was stinking hot in the sun, and just bearable in the shade. And in the evenings it was stay inside in the AC.

Now this week is a whole different story. It's been absolutely glorious weather. A great cool breeze keeping it comfortable all day long - great balmy nights for eating outside and BBQing. Warm afternoons for swimming but not too hot to be in the sun. Windows open at night - no AC needed - comfortable for sleeping. Great mornings for running/biking and doing yard work. I'm LOVING it.

It'll get hot again for a few days. And then it will get cooler again for a few days. The fact is that we have these patterns over the summer. It does get uncomfortably hot... but it is NOT uncomfortably hot all summer long without respite - there are plenty of great days.
I remember the great days and always welcomed them. Before I retired I walked the two miles each way to and from my downtown office. Mornings were generally great and refreshing. Evenings not so much and when it hit 90+, which seemed often, I took the light rail.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM

29 posts, read 28,013 times
Just came back from visiting Sac from July 1 to July 5. Significant other and I are southeast asian, so we have much higher tolerance for heat and on top of that, we are heat deprived as we now live in Vancouver BC. Here's our perspective, keeping in mind our personal preferences; I'm not heat lover and grew up in LA (coastal and valley) while my SO loves it.

Here's my take, at the tail end of the heat wave last week, Fri and Sat, it was HOT! from around 1pm to 5pm. I could not stand walking in direct sun for more than a couple of minutes but in the shade, it was totally tolerable. I recalled that while living in LA, during the hot spells, I could feel the heat radiating off the asphalt/concrete from early morning to late evening. There was no respite from the heat. I did not experience that in Sacramento AT ALL! The morning and evening was pleasant, nice and cool with the delta breeze. My SO and I even thought that Sac weather reminded us of Hawaii (we went in Feb this year); hot during the day but cooled by the breeze, almost like ocean breeze.

As for my SO, she loved it, no matter what time of day.

On our last day, we went to SF for the day as our flight out was from SFO. SF was covered in fog and heavy low cloud such that we couldn't see the water from Twin Peaks. We missed the REAL summer of Sacramento that was a couple of hours away.

Now, we are in Vancouver, where the summer is cool and we miss the heat again. AND it's going to rain for 4 days straight starting tomorrow. When we were in Sac, not a single cloud.

I think as @JohnS_15 pointed out, as long as the 100F + days are only a week here and there periodically, it's not so bad. Even during the heat wave, you are in the office all days and when you get home, it's nice and cool.

We went to Roseville for one day and it seemed much hotter there without much of the delta breeze. Is this observation correct?

Last edited by roadtripp1n; 07-06-2016 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 AM

18,959 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripp1n View Post
My SO and I even thought that Sac weather reminded us of Hawaii (we went in Feb this year); hot during the day but cooled by the breeze, almost like ocean breeze.
That's weird because weather in Northern CA has never reminded me of Hawaii. A normal or above normal summer in coastal Southern CA has definitely reminded me if Hawaii in winter a lot; upper 70's to mid 80's during the day, upper 60's to low 70's at night, and moderate to relatively high humidity. Northern CA feels A LOT drier than Hawaii especially in summer.

Even though inland Northern CA can get pretty toasty in winter I'll take that over SF. Basically in the inland East Bay it's like a roller coaster all summer, upper 70's to low 80's to upper 90's/low 100's all summer. Nights are cold and windy (like tonight) during the cooler spells but nice and pleasant to warm during the warmer spells/heatwaves. Today during the day it was very nice and comfortable inland, upper 70's/low 80's. But I was in SF earlier in the day and it was freezing and windy, I'll definitely take a dry 100 degree heat over foggy, windy 60 degree weather. My coworker from Ohio was like "I'm used to cold but this is ridiculous for summer" lol.

IMO Hawaii>Coastal SoCal>Inland NorCal>Coastal/inner bay NorCal (too cold and windy)=Inland SoCal (too hot and dry). Sac is worse than the inland East Bay, Sonoma County, Solano County, etc...but I think I would still take it over SF/coastal NorCal (sans Santa Cruz).

Last edited by sav858; 07-07-2016 at 02:47 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

IMO Hawaii>Coastal SoCal>Inland NorCal>Coastal/inner bay NorCal (too cold and windy)=Inland SoCal (too hot and dry). Sac is worse than the inland East Bay, Sonoma County, Solano County, etc...but I think I would still take it over SF/coastal NorCal (sans Santa Cruz).
What's funny about this characterization is that it does not fit the premise of the thread. In other words, the microclimates described above minus Hawaii are all in the same climate -- Mediterranean -- and the differences between them are subtle especially when compared to other regions of the USA that are actually in different climates.

All of the microclimates described above including Sacramento beat most locations in the USA when you include the amount and duration of inclement weather and consistent cold temperatures below 35F and/or consistent heat index temps above 100F, and when you factor in how many hours per day the weather is actually very uncomfortable.

We are spoiled in the Sacramento/Bay Area region and complain about the occasional 100F day in some of the warmer coastal valleys like in the San Ramon, Livermore, Santa Clara Valleys, or a 3 day heat wave in Sacramento, or a 24 hour period where the temp never goes above 59F on the coast of the SF Peninsula. But really all that is needed are shorts, common sense(stay in the shade), stay hydrated. And for the coast, a light jacket, long pants, and hat on the cool and foggy coast.

People from the Bay Area are "horrified" by 3 days of high 90's, but do they realize in the summer in most metros across the nation heat index temps in the upper 90's or 100's is common, and worse, uncomfortable night and mornings temps in the 70's, 80's are common too.

According to the premise of the thread and compared to most climates and regions across the Nation, Sacramento has comfortable and Great weather.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,635,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
If you put Sacramento and it’s weather in any southern, midwestern, or eastern locale across the USA people would rave about our weather.

Sacramento Summer:
Not nearly as hot as we or others exaggerate. During the last heat wave Sacramento was always cooler than anywhere else in the heat dome except for Coastal Cali and the mountains.

The desert southwest (Phoenix, Vegas,) is on average 20-30 degrees warmer during evening and morning hours and averages 10-20 degrees hotter during the day. The south, texas, florida and southwest bake in high humidity all summer long, and all night long.

Midwest and eastern seaboard cities are really humid during the summer - the daytime highs feel a lot warmer over there than our average summer high temps.

A 90 or 100 degree day in Sac feels more like a 80 or 90 degree in the rest of the humid east and south. So by high temps alone Sacramento appears a lot warmer than it is compared to other places.

Sacramento for the most part has cool summer nights and mornings.

A typical Sacramento Summer day is 90 degrees, dry 20% humidity (feels more like 87), with a very cool morning low of 55 degrees. The actual high temp doesn't represent how comfortable the rest of the evening and night temp will be as we cool quickly in the evening COMPARED to most other places across the USA.
Sacramento can be found on this U.S. map based on N.O.A.A. weather data. Pleasant Places to Live map.....
kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Sacramento can be found on this U.S. map based on N.O.A.A. weather data. Pleasant Places to Live map.....
kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
This list is really a list of "Places that have Mild Weather". Mild is fine but Warm, Cool, and Comfortable is pleasant too, but those places are not counted on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento