Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Pleasant Places to Live map.....
One of the reasons why I created this thread was because of critically FLAWED lists like this one.

This list says that a mean temperature between 55F to 75F degrees, AND a minimum of 45F and a maximum of 85F is pleasant. Understandably, this range is considered Mild and pleasant but this list is still critically FLAWED because it negates comfortable days over mild days. This list should be retitled “Places with Mild weather”. Mild may be Pleasant but so is Warm, Cool and Comfortable.

The minimum and maximums constraints of this list exclude many days that have a mean between 55F and 75F because it excludes a day that may reach 85F or fall to 45F.

For example, a low of 48F and a high of 59F is considered quite comfortable in the middle of winter, but it would be excluded from the list. In late winter Sacramento often falls into that range; whereas, SF on that same day will likely have a low of 52F and high of 59F, but SF would make the list and be considered “pleasant” because of a mean of 55.5F. Sacramento’s mean would be 53.5F so it would fall short of the list. Two cities in the same climate with Near identical Winter weather on average, one makes the list and the other doesn’t. This is why a thorough analysis is necessary, and why a thread like this exists.

Another example, a low morning temperature of 45F in the middle of winter would negate that day as pleasant. For huge swaths of the country a low temp of 45F in the morning in the winter would be considerate moderate even "warm". Now if that winter day stayed at 45F all day long that would not be “pleasant”. But if the low temp was 45F and the high temp for that winter day was 60F, that would be much more tolerable and actually quite comfortable for a winter day. But according to this list not pleasant. Since when is 60F in the middle of winter not considered pleasant.

Another example, a high temperature of 85F in the middle of summer would negate that day as pleasant.

For huge swaths of the country a high temp of 85F in the middle of the summer would be considered pleasant, but it would be negated from this list.

So on typical summer day with a low of 65F and a high of 85F, many would consider very pleasant, but according to the list that day would be negated as a pleasant day because the high reached 85F. Even though the mean would fall into the pleasant range it still would not make the “pleasant” list because the maximum was 85F. That is a critical FLAW in a criteria considered "Pleasant Days".

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-07-2016 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 01:23 AM

168 posts, read 240,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtripp1n View Post
hot during the day but cooled by the breeze, almost like ocean breeze.
Almost an ocean breeze?

Sacramento valley's heat rises in the summer, creating a vacuum and sucks in the air off the ocean. It usually starts once the valley starts heating and gradually slowing down by morning. Then starts all over around 1-2PM. If the wind is strong enough, it can get pretty cold at night and bring the marine layer as far as Sacramento. If we get winds out of the north, its hot and dry and that is when Sac suffers.

I think all can probably say Sac summers are nice while getting ocean influence but can quickly be horrible once the air gets cut off. Thank goodness for A/C I guess. SF is too cold for me, but some areas a little less inland than Sac are pretty much perfect.

On a side note, why is this thread still going?

Old 07-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post

Because people like talking about the weather, and, in part, because of the "pleasant" places list someone just posted. Lists like that need clarification, especially for Sacramento's summer weather. It is easy to say, its hot all the time, all day long, all summer long, which is completely NOT the case in Sacramento.

It's easy to lump Sacramento into Central Valley weather, when the microclimate that Sacramento experiences regularly in the summer keeps us comfortable, tolerable, and pleasant more often than not, but people don't know that if all they Know is that it occasionally gets to 100+.

If you read several posts back, people refuse to acknowledge our good summer weather and would rather dwell on a few days over 100F and they would rather characterize our entire summer as such which is an example of the tile of the thread, " ....underestimating and downplaying are good/great weather".

The thread is not only about our summer weather, but our weather all year long.

There are new people reading this thread all the time from all over the nation and all over the world.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Almost an ocean breeze?

This thread is still going because one person has like 500+ postings working overtime trying to sell Sacramento weather. Why? I don't have a clue. Sacramento weather just isn't that great IMO. I lived in Sac. for more than 10 years.
Locate Sacramento on the map and see the number of pleasant days compared to other cities. It is what it is and 500+ posts don't change N.O.O.A.'s data on Sacramento weather. map............................kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

Last edited by sourdough; 07-08-2016 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 02:17 AM

Quote:
This thread is still going because one person has like 500+ postings working overtime trying to sell Sacramento weather. Why? I don't have a clue.[/url]
I created the thread because I wanted a clear, thorough reporting of facts on Sacramento weather.

The list you post is an INTERPRETATION of data into very a limited view of what is considered Pleasant.

Here are the facts:

Last 8 days: July 1 to July 8, 2016 - Sacramento - In the middle of the Summer. Mean Temp 72F

Highs Temps in the low 80's to low 90s

Lows Temps in the mid 50's to low 60's.

Here is the interpretation: Sometimes Cool, sometimes Warm, often PLEASANT, very often COMFORTABLE.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
This thread is still going because one person has like 500+ postings working overtime trying to sell Sacramento weather. Why? I don't have a clue. Sacramento weather just isn't that great IMO. I lived in Sac. for more than 10 years.
Locate Sacramento on the map and see the number of pleasant days compared to other cities. It is what it is and 500+ posts don't change N.O.O.A.'s data on Sacramento weather. map............................kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
Sacramento's saving grace is the relatively cool evenings and nights. However, what most people are likely interested in Mon. through Fri. are the daylight temperatures when they are up, out and about. Mean average temperatures skew that reality. While mornings can be undeniably pleasant, mid-day temps can be brutal.

Just one man's opinion after having lived there 20 years. On an old note, I've always believed Sacramento can sell itself and doesn't need a cheerleader.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sacramento's saving grace is the relatively cool evenings and nights. However, what most people are likely interested in Mon. through Fri. are the daylight temperatures when they are up, out and about. Mean average temperatures skew that reality. While mornings can be undeniably pleasant, mid-day temps can be brutal.
Daylight temps when they up and about 6am - 3pm - Perfectly fine pleasant and comfortable, more often than not.....even if the high temp reaches the high 90's to 100F...... forecasted high today 83F

July 9, 2016 almost 12 NOON

Sacramento 80F
Los Angeles 80F
Bay Area(Walnut Creek) 78F

Phoenix 108F
Vegas 105F

Old 07-09-2016, 02:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Daylight temps when they up and about 6am - 3pm - Perfectly fine pleasant and comfortable, more often than not.....even if the high temp reaches the high 90's to 100F...... forecasted high today 83F

July 9, 2016 almost 12 NOON

Sacramento 80F
Los Angeles 80F
Bay Area(Walnut Creek) 78F

Phoenix 108F
Vegas 105F
LOL! Perhaps it's just me but I never found upper 90s to 100s to be pleasant and comfortable unless I was in a conveyance with air conditioning. However, I'm sure there are those who do. After all, look at the populations of Arizona, Nevada and central Texas.

Comfortable days are to be cherished and enjoyed. After all, they may be fleeting.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:41 PM

264 posts, read 413,873 times
shhh...the weather here is terrible, please don't move here

Old 07-09-2016, 04:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
It's too dry for me here compared to the bay. I have adapted to the weather though and sometimes I even enjoy the heat. At other times I just ignore it. But either way under no condition would I consider it ideal. So many other places I've been just on the west coast have more mild, comfortable weather to me. SF/ bay area, San Diego, Seattle and many places inbetween feel much mote confortable than Sac. Some people would characterize a couple of those places as too cold or cloudy though, so it's all a matter of perception. Things like your physical health and allergies also play into what is "great" weather for one person and terrible for another. I guess if you love a dry heat, have arthritis or some other condition which is aided by warmer weather or you are accostomed to an inland climate, Sac weather could be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento