Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 05:14 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times

Advertisements

Sacramento doesn't do all that well in the Pleasant weather index, published here:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

They define "pleasant" as a high temp 85 or less, low temp 45 or warmer, and no precip. L.A. and San Diego come out on top, virtually tied with 183 days a year that meet that criteria. Sacramento only has 57 days a year that they consider "pleasant." Personally, I don't think SoCal beach weather is all that pleasant -- not a fan of the marine layer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Bottom line. Name 5 metro areas with better climates. Ye can’t. Name a metro area outside of California with a better climate. Ye can’t.
Internationally: Singapore, Mexico City, Kunming, Kuala Lumpur. (Singapore has a breezy, balmy climate of the Virgin Islands, BUT EVEN BETTER because the Virgin Islands gets hurricanes, but Singapore has had only ONE (category 1) typhoon (hurricane, cyclone, whatever you call it) IN RECORDED HISTORY. No tornadoes, crazy hailstorms, etc. either.

Domestically...well, fine, hurricanes in Florida might be a deal breaker, but the years you don't have major hurricanes sweeping in (Florida is a huge state, even if there's hurricanes every year they don't touch every city every year), Florida definitely has a better climate than California. Ditto New Orleans and Houston, when it's not a Harvey or Katrina year.

The Gulf Coast and Northern Florida get actual winters, very cool and rainy, just like Sacramento. And honestly, a hurricane sure beats blizzards in upstate New York or Chicago.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:25 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I’ve never compared Sac to Dubai or Abu Dhabi but like so many many other cities Sac’s weather is BETTER. You are so obsessed with Sac and it’s weather, but u don’t live here and I do.

3pm afternoon, Jun 11 2018:

Austin- 100F
Phx - 103F

Sac - 88F
I never claimed you did, I said you might as well since you like comparing it to cities in the desert.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Sacramento doesn't do all that well in the Pleasant weather index, published here:

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live

They define "pleasant" as a high temp 85 or less, low temp 45 or warmer, and no precip. L.A. and San Diego come out on top, virtually tied with 183 days a year that meet that criteria. Sacramento only has 57 days a year that they consider "pleasant." Personally, I don't think SoCal beach weather is all that pleasant -- not a fan of the marine layer.
So whats wrong with the Norton Subjective Interpretation of "Pleasant"?

Some of the best days in Sacramento are between 86F and 93F with 20-30% or lower humidity. So this interpretation leaves out about 60 days of Sacramento's Summer and another 15 days of Spring and another 20 days of Fall.

That's 95 days that are comfortable, quite pleasant in Sacramento that are left out of the Norton Interpretation.

57 + 95 = 152 Days.

Let's look at the low temps, 40-45F for a low temp for the day in the middle of Winter is pretty darn mild and "pleasant" on a national scale. If Denver is considered to have a "mild" winter than Sacramento must have a "warm" Winter or at the very least a "mild" Winter. That's at least another 30 days where Sacramento is above 40F.

152 + 30 = 182 Pleasant Days in Sacramento. Just one day behind LA and SD.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-11-2018 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I never claimed you did, I said you might as well since you like comparing it to cities in the desert.
But you know I compare to more than just the Desert. A simple search of the thread will show that.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Internationally: Singapore, Mexico City, Kunming, Kuala Lumpur. (Singapore has a breezy, balmy climate of the Virgin Islands, BUT EVEN BETTER because the Virgin Islands gets hurricanes, but Singapore has had only ONE (category 1) typhoon (hurricane, cyclone, whatever you call it) IN RECORDED HISTORY. No tornadoes, crazy hailstorms, etc. either.

Domestically...well, fine, hurricanes in Florida might be a deal breaker, but the years you don't have major hurricanes sweeping in (Florida is a huge state, even if there's hurricanes every year they don't touch every city every year), Florida definitely has a better climate than California. Ditto New Orleans and Houston, when it's not a Harvey or Katrina year.

The Gulf Coast and Northern Florida get actual winters, very cool and rainy, just like Sacramento. And honestly, a hurricane sure beats blizzards in upstate New York or Chicago.
OK, isn't Singapore super humid and hot half the year. Same with Kuala Lumpur. I don't even know where Kunming is, I'm sure you will tell me.

Mexico City - one of the worst air pollution cities in the world.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-11-2018 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:

Florida is a 24/7 A/C kind of place half the year. Not Pleasant.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:20 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
So whats wrong with the Norton Subjective Interpretation of "Pleasant"?

Some of the best days in Sacramento are between 86F and 93F with 20-30% or lower humidity. So this interpretation leaves out about 60 days of Sacramento's Summer and another 15 days of Spring and another 20 days of Fall.

That's 95 days that are comfortable, quite pleasant in Sacramento that are left out of the Norton Interpretation.

I agree. Norton needs to add sunshine and low humidity to his index. I've been east of the Rockies and I didn't find 80 degrees with humidity to be pleasant. Not at all.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:37 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
OK, isn't Singapore super humid and hot half the year. Same with Kuala Lumpur. I don't even know where Kunming is, I'm sure you will tell me.

Mexico City - one of the worst air pollution cities in the world.
ASIDE from air pollution, Mexico City has some of the best weather in the world.

Singapore IS very humid, but hot? Not so much. The hottest month's highs (in April) average only 89 degrees; most months average around 86 to 85 degrees. This is without factoring in the abundant breezes and rainfall that Singapore gets; it rains often, but the sun always comes out soon after. Singapore's island location means it is impossible for the temperature to ever exceed 100 degrees; the record high is 97. Singapore also features far better air quality than Hong Kong, Mexico City, and is no worse than Los Angeles or Sacramento.

Kunming is in Southwestern China. Similar climate to Mexico City, snow is rare, not hot in the summer either. No hurricanes, no heat waves, no blizzards, no nothing.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
The hottest month's highs (in April) average only 89 degrees; most months average around 86 to 85 degrees. .
So I looked up Singapore weather and climate. Humidity is like 90% all year round. Heat index of 89F with 90% humidity is near 122 degrees. A humid Dubai.

Humidity rarely drops below 60% coupled with the high temp thats 100F.

Google heat index for various many charts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento