Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 08:06 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Your wet season is like a gradpa with a bad prostate who thinks they have to pee. Just a trickle.

Sacs rainy season is like a college frosh at a keg party going pee. Long and prolific. Please, go to sleep.
Irvine and Sacramento are still more climactically similar to one another than, say, Sacramento and Portland, or Sacramento and most cities in the US. For example:

Average annual precipitation (using Sac airport):
Portland 36.03
Sacramento 18.75
Irvine 14.32

Average number of precipitation days:
Portland 155
Sacramento 60
Irvine 36

Average annual high temp:
Irvine 75.5
Sacramento 73.6
Portland 63.1

Record high temp:
Sacramento 115
Irvine 111
Portland 107

Record low temp:
Sacramento 18
Irvine 18
Portland -3

Start looking at cities east of the Rockies, and it'll be even more divergent. Just to underscore Chimerique's point that everything is relative. Within California, we might think OC and Sac are sooo different, but once you look farther into the rest of the country, you realize we all live in various shades of California and are fairly, but not entirely, similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 01:26 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times
It's not bad, but its far from the best.

I don't see the appeal of the stifling heat and all those 100+ degree days. Grew up in the South Bay where it is generally cooler, and hell me and a few friends would still escape to Santa Cruz to escape the worst days in the San Jose area during the summer months.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times
Upper 40s low lately for sac
Mid 80s highs down to upper 40s
Heavy coat to shorts in the same day, lol.
Will you agree that it's a bit much, chim?

Still seeing upper 50s out here. Thank goodness

Edit: just read your rant, chim. Well done.
Keep fighting the fight!

People absolutely talk about sac summers like theyre Bakersfield summers and the winters like they're Portland winters..
But Fresno, not sac, is who gets compared to Vegas and phoenix. I'm positive there's a lot of people in the bay who think Fresno is hotter than Vegas and phoenix :0

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 10-14-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 12:18 AM

6,898 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Upper 40s low lately for sac
Mid 80s highs down to upper 40s
Heavy coat to shorts in the same day, lol.
Will you agree that it's a bit much, chim?

Still seeing upper 50s out here. Thank goodness

What's wrong with low to mid 80's? and Upper 40's. Lately, I've been wearing a suit to work, it's perfect in the morning not cold not hot.

where is "out here"?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
It's not bad, but its far from the best.
Sacramento weather is certainly better than 3/4 or more of the Nations cities that's for sure.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:23 AM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
It feels weird to complain about "great" weather... but right now I'm so sick of bright blue skies, warm sunshine - turning to quite hot in the middle of the day - and dry oh so dry. We've had all of one scattered rainstorm since May. I'd just love some variety! A few clouds, some rain showers, some cooler days. It feels like it's a very dry Sept/Oct this year but I feel like I've said that the last few years.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
It feels weird to complain about "great" weather... but right now I'm so sick of bright blue skies, warm sunshine - turning to quite hot in the middle of the day - and dry oh so dry. We've had all of one scattered rainstorm since May. I'd just love some variety! A few clouds, some rain showers, some cooler days. It feels like it's a very dry Sept/Oct this year but I feel like I've said that the last few years.
Yeah, but thats what we do, don't we, is complain about the weather no matter what,

High 70's and low 80's is hot? And how many hours of the day is it in the low 80's, maybe 1 hour at the most. It doesn't take much to dress appropriately, wear a sweater in the morning, or simply a long sleeve shirt, or a suit, enough to keep you warm in the morning, and comfortable enough for the few hours its in the high 70's. Dew points are very comfortable as well.

I agree I'm ready for cloudy days and rain, but I wouldn't want the kind of rain they are getting in the south....like devastating Hurricanes.

Here's a tip, take a drive into the Sacramento Delta and enjoy the vineyards, orchards, wineries, and the small towns: This is the best time of the year for that: no flooding, no heat, no fog, leaves are still on trees, but changing colors.

Take Highway 160 as it follows the Sacramento River to Freeport, Willowpoint, Clarksburg (Bogle Winery), Hood, Courtland, Grand Island Mansion, Walnut Grove, Thornton, Ryde Hotel, Isleton, Locke, Rio Vista - the widest part of the Sacramento River before it becomes part of the Carquinez Straight. Most of all of this is in Sacramento County.

6:00PM
Phoenix 81F
Clarksburg (the Delta) - 72F
Rio Vista (the Delta) - 72F

Sacramento - 72F (when you drive up from Clarksburg/Freeport onto Freeport Blvd in Sac is when you realize Sacramento is actually a Delta town as well.)

Portland - 60F

Better yet, take a boat onto the waterways!

Checkout the Wildlife Areas. (Grizzly Island, Brannan Island)

Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
High 70's and low 80's is hot? And how many hours of the day is it in the low 80's, maybe 1 hour at the most. It doesn't take much to dress appropriately, wear a sweater in the morning, or simply a long sleeve shirt, or a suit, enough to keep you warm in the morning, and comfortable enough for the few hours its in the high 70's. Dew points are very comfortable as well.
Actually in the direct sun it still feels very hot even at low 80s. Just sitting outside in the direct sun with no shade is hot enough to build a sweat and I have a pretty high tolerance for heat. Because there is no cloud cover at all to give respite the direct sun is harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree I'm ready for cloudy days and rain, but I wouldn't want the kind of rain they are getting in the south....like devastating Hurricanes.
I don't particularly want that either, but the endless blue skies and dry weather take their toll on people eventually also. It's like sailors of old becalmed in a great blue ocean.

Thanks for the to-do tips. Don't worry I don't spend all my time on the internet complaining... I do get out and enjoy the "great weather"!!

Old 10-26-2018, 09:08 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS_15 View Post
Actually in the direct sun it still feels very hot even at low 80s. Just sitting outside in the direct sun with no shade is hot enough to build a sweat and I have a pretty high tolerance for heat. Because there is no cloud cover at all to give respite the direct sun is harsh.

I don't particularly want that either, but the endless blue skies and dry weather take their toll on people eventually also. It's like sailors of old becalmed in a great blue ocean.

Thanks for the to-do tips. Don't worry I don't spend all my time on the internet complaining... I do get out and enjoy the "great weather"!!
It does get a little boring by the end of the dry season. It's like reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. I get that when it's too monotonous for too long...

Old 10-26-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
It does get a little boring by the end of the dry season.
I used to think that...and I always like rain anywhere in California...because we almost always need it more than not needing it. However this year I've been fine with the extra sunshine, very little rain, late into October as Sacramento has enough of a temp change to feel like you are definitely in another season. Unlike, SD or LA where the difference in lows and highs from summer to fall is hardly noticeable.

Sacramento has been 10-20 degrees cooler (mid 70's to low 80's) this October compared to summer (low to mid 90's) for highs temps, and Sacramento has been 10 degrees cooler this October compared to summer morning temps (upper 40's to low 50's) compared with last summer's (upper 50's to low 60's). If you combine that with the shorter days, you get that bump that the weather has shifted into another season, and you need a sweater in the morning. Also, I've had so many outdoor trips this October that I didn't want rain to be a part of it.

As far as sunshine, don't sit your stand directly in the sun, and its easy to do that on the Streets of Sacramento, as shade is always just a few steps away with all those TREES! (and buildings).

Note: the last week or so Sacramento's has been running almost 10 degree above normal for high temps, yet I still feel that change of seasons.....I guess because of all the falling leaves, color change, and the all those trees casting shadows in the early afternoon on Sac's Grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento