Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 10:05 AM

3,431 posts, read 5,202,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You keep talking about how where you live in San Diego County has more rainfall than downtown San Diego.

Well lets look at the Consolidated Metro Area of Sacramento and it major cities and towns:
Elk Grove=19.00
Davis=19.66
Sacramento=20.27
Rancho Cordova=21.00
Yuba City=21.00
Citrus Heights=24.00
Folsom=24.26
Roseville=24.61
Coloma-36.00
Auburn=37.36
Placerville=38.11
Jackson=39.00
Pollock Pines=45.00
Colfax=47.00
Foresthill=51.00
South Lake Tahoe=52.45
Nevada City=59.00
Blue Canyon Airport=64.62
Total Annual Average = 35.74 inches

Other cities that are not actually part of the Consolidated Metro of Sacramento but that are related with Sacramento by sharing work commutes or recreation:

In inches:
Vacaville=24.53, Fairfield=24.89, Stockton=17.55 and Napa=25.22

Antioch, Livermore, Tracy and Stockton are all part of the Bay Area, not Sacramento.
Haha! C'mon Chim, you're taking Pollock Pines and South Lake Tahoe plus the foothill cities to customize an "average" rainfall for the Sacramento metro area? Microclimates don't work like that. I'll show you why, but surely you know that's Hocus pocus:

SD airport: 10.34
Palomar Mountain: 33.7
Julian: 24.55
Escondido: 15
Ramona: 16.04
Cuyamaca 31.5
National City 10.9
Campo 14.68
"Average" : 19.59

Or what if we "averaged" San Jose's metro with Ben Lomond in the Santa Cruz mountains? (15.82+49)/2= 32.41. Utterly absurd and meaningless numbers. We know that the vast majority of Sacramentans don't live in Lake Tahoe; in fact, none of them do. The urban metro ranges from 19 to 25 inches, the foothills from 36 to 47, and Lake Tahoe is its own metro really, more often connected to nearby Reno (whose metro area apparently gets (7.4+59)/2= 33.2 inches!). San Diego metro ranges from 10 to 15 inches, the foothills average 16 to 25, and the mountains average 32 to 34. These can't be averaged together but seen as several regions, just like the Bay Area has the very wet North Bay, the very dry South Bay, and the Central and East Bay that's more like Sacramento. You can't just average them. I mean, you can, but it doesn't show anything. You'd just as well average temperatures then, combining mountains with valleys, or coast and inland.

Regarding South Lake Tahoe, I'm seeing a wide range of data, with different sites showing average rainfall at 16, 24, and 52 inches. I suspect the 50+ is rain plus water content of snow, since little rain falls outside of the rainy season, and much of the winter precip is snow. I did not factor in average snowfall in my calculations, but it doesn't really matter that much.

I agree Livermore, etc is Bay Area, but as you were mentioning Redding to the very far north, I was willing to look South as well. Stockton is certainly much closer to Sacramento than Redding. Sacramento city seems to be the transition between the rainier north and the drier south, as the Golden Gate is a similar cutoff in the Bay Area, where SF southward is relatively dry, and Marin northward gets clobbered.

Of course Sacramento is generally more wet than San Diego, about 1.8-2 times the average, and 1.5 times LA metro. This year happens to be an aberration typical of El Niño, and we'll take it!

As for my own neighborhood's estimate, we usually get about 14-15 in vs downtown's 10, so I simply did a relative extrapolation that should be accurate. If anything, we may be disproportionately higher this year bc El Niño events tend to dump extra high amounts in higher elevations. Downtown recently got only about 0.18 when we got 1.3, but normally dry La Jolla got 1.25 as well, so it may have been the usual rain divide along the 52 freeway.

Most exciting is that Julian and above will be snowing tomorrow!! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,542,811 times
I am praying for drier warmer weather soon

Old 02-05-2019, 01:14 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,263,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Haha! C'mon Chim, you're taking Pollock Pines and South Lake Tahoe plus the foothill cities to customize an "average" rainfall for the Sacramento metro area? Microclimates don't work like that. I'll show you why, but surely you know that's Hocus pocus:
But you don't live inside Chim's brain where anything to do with weather is detached from reality. This includes the statistical rainfall amounts that are incorrect. Stockton receives just under 14 inches annually, and I couldn't find any long-term stats on Elk Grove, but the two closest stations put rainfall mounts there somewhere between 17.37 at Clarksburg and 17.54 at Elliot. Many of the locations listed don't have reliable records, if any records at all.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:27 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,163,348 times
Haha! C'mon TS, every single one of those cites/towns/places is in the Sacramento Combined Statistical Area.(SCSA)
You must not know the Sacramento area very well. Of all the working people in the Foothills just east of Sacramento more than half of them commute to many of the cities/towns/places that I listed. And besides, they are all within the SCMA.

Regarding South Lake Tahoe (which is part of the SCSA) a ton of people within the SCSA recreate in South Lake Tahoe for day trips or even half-day trips. The Blue Canyon area is another popular place to recreate for Sacramentans....and Blue Canyon is in the SCSA.

You talk about Mt. Palomar, which is fine if people actually recreate there from San Diego and if it is within a day trip. But if you are going to include Mt. Palomar than I could include one of several high peaks of the Sierra's near Tahoe, such as Mt. Tallac - averages 50 inches of precipitation. When I was growing up in SD, I never knew anyone who went, but I know folks did.

Regarding Ben Lomand and the Santa Cruz Mountains, you do know that the folks between Santa Cruz and the Silicon Valley are highly/related connected. Most of folks in the mountains between Santa Cruz and and Silicon Valley work in the Silicon Valley, and you do know that Santa Cruz is practically a suburb of the Silicon Valley. San Jose, itself, may not get a lot of precip relatively speaking, but the surrounding area does. Ben Lomand is 24-35 miles from many cities in Silicon Valley.

Last edited by Chimérique; 02-05-2019 at 03:07 AM..

Old 02-05-2019, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
But you don't live inside Chim's brain where anything to do with weather is detached from reality. This includes the statistical rainfall amounts that are incorrect. Stockton receives just under 14 inches annually, and I couldn't find any long-term stats on Elk Grove, but the two closest stations put rainfall mounts there somewhere between 17.37 at Clarksburg and 17.54 at Elliot. Many of the locations listed don't have reliable records, if any records at all.
Wow, what an overstatement and an exaggeration, that really hurts because its not true and you know it. I never call people names or belittle them, especially when it is false.

I report actual facts, my brain is intact, the data is all over the internet, if you choose to ignore it, and cherry pick by using Elliott, wherever that is, fine, LOL.

Elliott, really, now thats a disconnect. But if it is in Sacramento County and its part of the Sacto Metro yes you can count it.

My data comes mostly from Weather.com and NOAA, or I cross fact check with different sources from the internet.

Stockton is not part of the Sacramento Metro; it is part of the Bay Area, and the reason the Census Bureau deems it part of the Bay Area is because over 30% of Stocktonions commute to the Bay Area for work, more than to Sacramento.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 AM

Feb 5, 2019, 1:30 overnight

Sacramento 38F - Mix of Rain and Snow
Placerville 33F - Snow
South Lake Tahoe 20F - Snow

San Diego 56F
Ramona 49F
Julian 39F

Salt Lake City 41 - Rain
Portland 29 -Snow Showers
Denver 25 - Snow Showers

Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Haha! C'mon TS, every single one of those cites/towns/places is in the Sacramento Combined Statistical Area.(SCSA)
You must not know the Sacramento area very well. Of all the working people in the Foothills just east of Sacramento more than half of them commute to many of the cities/towns/places that I listed. And besides, they are all within the SCMA.

Regarding South Lake Tahoe (which is part of the SCSA) a ton of people within the SCSA recreate in South Lake Tahoe for day trips or even half-day trips. The Blue Canyon area is another popular place to recreate for Sacramentans....and Blue Canyon is in the SCSA.

You talk about Mt. Palomar, which is fine if people actually recreate there from San Diego and if it is within a day trip. But if you are going to include Mt. Palomar than I could include one of several high peaks of the Sierra's near Tahoe, such as Mt. Tallac - averages 50 inches of precipitation. When I was growing up in SD, I never knew anyone who went, but I know folks did.

Regarding Ben Lomand and the Santa Cruz Mountains, you do know that the folks between Santa Cruz and the Silicon Valley are highly/related connected. Most of folks in the mountains between Santa Cruz and and Silicon Valley work in the Silicon Valley, and you do know that Santa Cruz is practically a suburb of the Silicon Valley. San Jose, itself, may not get a lot of precip relatively speaking, but the surrounding area does. Ben Lomand is 24-35 miles from many cities in Silicon Valley.
Hey Chim, I actually don't disagree with you regarding geographical proximity. Of course people in the Foothills commute to Sacramento, and yes, we go to Palomar Mountain all the time to recreate (it's only a one-hour drive to the summit at 5500 feet!) as well as Mt Laguna and all the beautiful forested trails in the mountains, but that doesn't make it sensible to combine their precipitation averages. And yes, people who live in Ben Lomond will commute to Silicon Valley, but averaging them out in any way doesn't make any sense. Just like you couldn't take a temperature from Pacifica in July, combine it with Antioch, and get a bay area "average.". By the same logic, California weather forecasts always go back coast, Inland, and mountains. You can't just lump them all together. So you should think of the Foothill communities as having a separate microclimate from the urban Metro, just like the Santa Cruz mountains have a different microclimate than Silicon Valley. That's all I'm saying. But of course they are connected.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Feb 5, 2019, 1:30 overnight

Sacramento 38F - Mix of Rain and Snow
Placerville 33F - Snow
South Lake Tahoe 20F - Snow

San Diego 56F
Ramona 49F
Julian 39F

Salt Lake City 41 - Rain
Portland 29 -Snow Showers
Denver 25 - Snow Showers
Yay Ramona! Right over the hill from us. We are expecting good snow accumulations about 3,500 ft, so that will include Julian today. A few flakes will fall down to 2,500 feet. I see that Sacramento may get a few flakes below a thousand feet and accumulations above 2000. You reporded rain / snow mix in Sacramento last night, but I don't see anything about that on local news up there. Was there actually any snow at sea level?

BTW, I highly recommend Weather Underground over weather.com. I'm on several Bay Area weather Facebook discussion groups, and there are some professional meteorologists on there who will absolutely not use that site for many reasons. I do find their current conditions reports highly inaccurate. You may find Weather Underground much more to your liking. Check it out!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,542,811 times
Ugh the cold is back!

Old 02-06-2019, 01:30 AM

Feb 5, 2019 11:00pm

Honolulu 72F

Phoenix 55F Rain

Los Angeles 45F

Eureka 40F
Redding 39F
Las Vegas 39F
Sacramento 36F

Portland 32F
Salt Lake City 30F Snow
Denver 28F
Seattle 27F

Yosemite 16F
South Lake Tahoe 14F
Mammoth Lakes 5F
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento