Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 03:00 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacguy71 View Post
Indeed it feels more like winter now than spring with the wacky hail and rain storms. Still, we do need the rain to account for the dry winter. At least by June, it will be hot and pool season for me! Wee!
A nice warmup is on the way for most of California -- mid to upper 70s consistently in the near-term forecast. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 06:16 AM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
You guys really don't know how good you have it. You compare yourselves to Southern California.
But compare yourselves to the rest of the nation and you guys live in paradise.

As the first response said. An 80-90 in the midwest is much more miserable than 80-90 in Sacramento.

In the summer, the midwest has T-storms every week. We can't even plan anything because it might be a rain out.
And not just showers. we're talking lightning, wind, hail etc.

At night it's not uncommon for temperatures to stay in the 80s and miserable.
Out there at least it cools down every night.
We also get much more bugs.

I remember camping out there once and the neighboring campsite was small-talk complaining about humidity while I felt nothing. I was just like.... O.o sure.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:53 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
You guys really don't know how good you have it. You compare yourselves to Southern California.
But compare yourselves to the rest of the nation and you guys live in paradise.

As the first response said. An 80-90 in the midwest is much more miserable than 80-90 in Sacramento.

In the summer, the midwest has T-storms every week. We can't even plan anything because it might be a rain out.
And not just showers. we're talking lightning, wind, hail etc.

At night it's not uncommon for temperatures to stay in the 80s and miserable.
Out there at least it cools down every night.
We also get much more bugs.

I remember camping out there once and the neighboring campsite was small-talk complaining about humidity while I felt nothing. I was just like.... O.o sure.
Generally I agree. Grew up in Ohio and much prefer the weather here.... or at least I did until last summer during the fires when it was raining ash for many weeks. I felt myself for the first time every really sensing the dryness and I started to actually crave rain. It made me have a more holistic view of weather, climate, geography, vegetation, etc. Now my view has changed and frankly I would prefer 4 seasons with a healthy amount of rain. I feel it is a good cycle and keeps nature in balance. Still hate those midwest mosquitoes though!

Old 03-25-2021, 09:44 PM

251 posts, read 197,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Generally I agree. Grew up in Ohio and much prefer the weather here.... or at least I did until last summer during the fires when it was raining ash for many weeks. I felt myself for the first time every really sensing the dryness and I started to actually crave rain. It made me have a more holistic view of weather, climate, geography, vegetation, etc. Now my view has changed and frankly I would prefer 4 seasons with a healthy amount of rain. I feel it is a good cycle and keeps nature in balance. Still hate those midwest mosquitoes though!
I'm moving this month.
I do fear getting reverse SAD.
You know.... like depression from constant cold and cloudiness. But constant sun and dry vegetation isn't that great either.
Winter visits back home should cure that though.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
I'm moving this month.
You know.... like depression from constant cold and cloudiness. But constant sun and dry vegetation isn't that great either.
I'm pretty sure it is easier to deal with the sun of summer than a lack of sun in the winter.

During a dark long winter, your days are short and mostly dark and depressing and your nights, of course, are dark too.

During a long bright summer, you still have night. You can avoid the bright sun easier than dealing with the gloomy dark days of winter.

It's easier to AVOID the sun in the summer than to SALVAGE it in the winter.

And, You can stay indoors a lot, close the blinds, draw the drapes stay in the darkest rooms in the house.

During a 24hr. period:
Winter: dark days, dark nights. It's "always" dark.
Summer: bright days, dark nights. It's not always bright and sunny.

Old 03-27-2021, 10:10 PM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
I am looking forward to using my new pool this week! Probably will use heater as I am a baby and need water at least 80 degrees F to avoid freezing. Once temps hit 100 then won't need to heat it.

Old 03-27-2021, 11:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacguy71 View Post
I am looking forward to using my new pool this week! Probably will use heater as I am a baby and need water at least 80 degrees F to avoid freezing. Once temps hit 100 then won't need to heat it.
Awesome!

I was in Phoenix for a week. It was about the same temp as Sacramento, a little warmer, but it was cloudy for 6 days in a row in Phoenix. Now is probably Phoenix's best time of the year but the weather was actually better and more sunny in Sac.

In Phoenix, last week, there was a "PM10" warning, I never heard of such a thing. On that "PM10" warning, the forecast was for winds up to 35mph.

Phoenix does not have healthy organic soil, no natural grasses, nor adequately sized deciduous trees. They only have very fine sandy dirt and dust. The fine sandy dirt and dust is easily formed into a gas so you don't know you are breathing it in and it is very toxic so they warn folks not to go outside unless you wear an N95 mask (not for covid) but to protect you from the tiny particulates that form an invisible "gas".

Also in Phoenix, During certain really windy and/or dry stormy conditions, Haboobs form which are those giant scary looking dust storms.

The difference between the Sonoran Desert (Phoenix) and Sacramento Valley is Sacramento has real soil formed from organic material (trees, leaves, etc.) and when we have a windy day the particulates are not so tiny that they form into a "gas". We can actually see dirt and dust blowing around and the particulates do not form into "gas" that is easily taken into your lungs and bloodstream.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:30 PM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
Pool was fun today and heater got it nice and warm. Had nice workout and fresh air. Should be great to use this week with temps pushing into the 80s toward end of week. I am glad to have a pool as I cannot run and need exercise and with covid the pools/gyms have been closed down. Plus I don't have to worry about kids or others peeing in my pool hehe.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Quote:
I'm moving this month.
I lived in the Chicago area. It's basically the reciprocal of Chicago winters. Instead of gloom, grey, and cold for months on end you get monotonous, dry conditions, and a parched landscape for several months. It cools down at night, but you don't really get to enjoy it if you are a working stiff. Except on the week ends. You learn how the sun works, warmest point of the day is right before sun set and coldest is before sun rises.

From the last couple weeks of June until the last couple weeks of September, the weather is just boiling hot though. Think Phoenix, just 10-15 degrees less during the day and much cooler at night.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
I thought this was a pretty good explanation of why we seem to be heading into a longer term drought.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/western-u...015010067.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento