Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2022, 12:45 PM

2,905 posts, read 2,003,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
There was rain in Sacramento in August? Looking at the history, it doesn't look like it -- 21 days were above 90f, ten of those over 95f, and six of those above 100f. Was there monsoon last summer?

For September, I see similar temps which would not suggest any out-of-season cold fronts -- 15 days above 90f, five above 100f, and only two below 80f (but close).

Please jog our memories as to the circumstances around that warm summer rain?

No, I was talking about Fresno. I don't think it even got cloudy in Sacramento last summer. There was a monsoonal event that brought rain and an offtrack hurricane remnant that brought rain to Fresno. The rain basically stopped at madera. Very weird weather, never seen that before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 01:43 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Hey TS,
Sacramento's Oct and November 2021 were much more like normal compared to the last 8-10 years. We actually got a winter-type rain storm in Oct which used to be normal, the ground turned green early. Some fog returned...very slightly didn't last more than a day and always cleared up by 12-2pm, but there was actual ground fog in the morning in a few Sacramento neighborhoods, one or two days, but still nothing like what we used to have a decade or two decades ago--- to me the biggest noticeable difference of climate change in Sacramento.

A reminder of what the summer was like last June:

June 1-30, 2021 - Sacramento

(All 30 days)

Low Temps for the day
How many days of:

40's - 2 days (very, very cool)
50-55F - 7 days (very cool)
56F-59F - 12 days (cool)
60-65F - 7 days (cool)
66-68F - 2 days, (cool)

70's - Zero days. All days were cooler. Sacramento always Cools into the 50's and 60's throughout the summer, unlike much of the rest of the country.

High Temps for the day
How many days of:

100's - 3 days (heat index) (+3 recorded/actual)
90's - 15 days - humidy and dew point all in the pleasant and comfortable category
80's - 6 days
70's - 3 days

The disappearance of winter fog in Sacramento is a very noticeable indication of climate change (although I have not seen scientific documentation of that, that I know of). The next indication could be a drastic reduction in the overnight and morning cooling that Sacramento regular gets in the summer....that has not happened...yet....that is a worry of mine...because if our dramatic daily cooling completely disappeared Sacramento would truly be more like Fresno....worse like Vegas.....and absolutely the worst, like Phoenix. But, it still would not be humid, thankfully.

I would never go but why a native or long term Bay Arean says about real summer weather.....it doesn't exist in most of the Bay Area as it does in most of the rest of the USA, they have zero concept of what a real summer is like.

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-06-2022 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-07-2022, 03:29 PM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
I agree Oaklanders have no concept of summer, even though San Franciscans think Oakland is hot. Everything's relative. San Jose is pretty darn near perfect IMO, but I don't mind dry heat in summer (I grew up in Walnut Creek, not as bad as Sacramento but only a few degrees cooler most of the time). And yes, we used to get tule fog out in those valleys too back in the 80s, but it's pretty much nonexistent these days. I think a lot of that comes from the persistent drought. There just isn't enough moisture in the air most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey TS,
Sacramento's Oct and November 2021 were much more like normal compared to the last 8-10 years. We actually got a winter-type rain storm in Oct which used to be normal, the ground turned green early. Some fog returned...very slightly didn't last more than a day and always cleared up by 12-2pm, but there was actual ground fog in the morning in a few Sacramento neighborhoods, one or two days, but still nothing like what we used to have a decade or two decades ago--- to me the biggest noticeable difference of climate change in Sacramento.

A reminder of what the summer was like last June:

June 1-30, 2021 - Sacramento

(All 30 days)

Low Temps for the day
How many days of:

40's - 2 days (very, very cool)
50-55F - 7 days (very cool)
56F-59F - 12 days (cool)
60-65F - 7 days (cool)
66-68F - 2 days, (cool)

70's - Zero days. All days were cooler. Sacramento always Cools into the 50's and 60's throughout the summer, unlike much of the rest of the country.

High Temps for the day
How many days of:

100's - 3 days (heat index) (+3 recorded/actual)
90's - 15 days - humidy and dew point all in the pleasant and comfortable category
80's - 6 days
70's - 3 days

The disappearance of winter fog in Sacramento is a very noticeable indication of climate change (although I have not seen scientific documentation of that, that I know of). The next indication could be a drastic reduction in the overnight and morning cooling that Sacramento regular gets in the summer....that has not happened...yet....that is a worry of mine...because if our dramatic daily cooling completely disappeared Sacramento would truly be more like Fresno....worse like Vegas.....and absolutely the worst, like Phoenix. But, it still would not be humid, thankfully.

I would never go but why a native or long term Bay Arean says about real summer weather.....it doesn't exist in most of the Bay Area as it does in most of the rest of the USA, they have zero concept of what a real summer is like.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I agree Oaklanders have no concept of summer, even though San Franciscans think Oakland is hot. Everything's relative. San Jose is pretty darn near perfect IMO, but I don't mind dry heat in summer (I grew up in Walnut Creek, not as bad as Sacramento but only a few degrees cooler most of the time). And yes, we used to get tule fog out in those valleys too back in the 80s, but it's pretty much nonexistent these days. I think a lot of that comes from the persistent drought. There just isn't enough moisture in the air most of the time.
Yes, I agree. The drought probably has a lot to do with the disappearance of the winter fog; however, in the last 10 years we had at least half if not more normal rainfall years, and two well above normal rainfall years but no winter fog so it is also be because rising winter temps, I suppose?

Yep, San Jose/Santa Clara County has near perfect summer weather as does Marin and inner Sonoma Counties. One compliant is that it actually is a too darn cool in the evening and morning, often low 50's with the cool/cold on-shore wind, a lot cooler than coastal SoCal's on-shore breezes.

This winter has actually been perfect for us because we have been able to enjoy the Sierras a lot with mild temps and lots and lots of sunny days. The mountain roads have been easy to drive, absolutely no need for AWD most of this winter which makes it easy considering my Subaru has been out of commission for the last year. Normally you would need AWD a lot more right after a snow storm but not this year. But, there is plenty of snow for snow shoeing. Although it didn't rain in the Valley it snowed in the Tahoe area 2 different times in the last 10 days and we are back to colder temps in Tahoe, so we have another month of snow-shoeing left. :-)

Old 03-09-2022, 08:04 AM

How nice to have a decent snow season even with great weather!

Agree about Sonoma and Marin; however, San Jose has much milder nights by comparison, especially when you consider the lack of wind. Looks like summer lows last year were mostly upper 50s to low 60s. The North Bay valleys always seem to cool down way more than anywhere in the region.

Quote:
Yes, I agree. The drought probably has a lot to do with the disappearance of the winter fog; however, in the last 10 years we had at least half if not more normal rainfall years, and two well above normal rainfall years but no winter fog so it is also be because rising winter temps, I suppose?

Yep, San Jose/Santa Clara County has near perfect summer weather as does Marin and inner Sonoma Counties. One compliant is that it actually is a too darn cool in the evening and morning, often low 50's with the cool/cold on-shore wind, a lot cooler than coastal SoCal's on-shore breezes.

This winter has actually been perfect for us because we have been able to enjoy the Sierras a lot with mild temps and lots and lots of sunny days. The mountain roads have been easy to drive, absolutely no need for AWD most of this winter which makes it easy considering my Subaru has been out of commission for the last year. Normally you would need AWD a lot more right after a snow storm but not this year. But, there is plenty of snow for snow shoeing. Although it didn't rain in the Valley it snowed in the Tahoe area 2 different times in the last 10 days and we are back to colder temps in Tahoe, so we have another month of snow-shoeing left. :-)

Old 03-09-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
How nice to have a decent snow season even with great weather!

Agree about Sonoma and Marin; however, San Jose has much milder nights by comparison, especially when you consider the lack of wind. Looks like summer lows last year were mostly upper 50s to low 60s. The North Bay valleys always seem to cool down way more than anywhere in the region.
Yep, yep, and I meant to say "one complaint" not "one compliant".....I guess you figured that out...regarding Sonoma, Marin, San Jose......they really are too cold for me in the summer evenings, and nights...not good pool weather.

If ever up this way, here is the link for California's snow parks......usually these Sierra highways have "no parking zones" heavily enforced, no where to park without getting a ticket...so the snow removal equipment can clear the roads quickly and safely.

Hence the need for the "snow parks"; they provide parking and trailheads for cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing and snowmobiles......snowmobiles noise rarely bothers you as they go far off away from snow-shoers...also there are more and more "all-electric" snowmobiles.....much quieter.

SNO-Parks
once on the site, click on the little map in the middle of the page for details on the snow parks and a good map of their locations.

or just google "California snow parks"

Old 03-12-2022, 06:11 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,569,001 times
I think that spring is almost here as warmer weather returns. I hear more happy birds chirping outside in my yard now and only use my heat briefly in early morning.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:55 AM

Thanks for that info on snow parks. Since we don't ski or snowboard, those are the activities we most enjoy. And it can be challenging to find parking in our San Diego mountains sometimes, although we usually end up in some state park lot.

You're right about not having nighttime pool weather in Marin, Sonoma, even SJ, as they are usually cool by 9 PM. Nicer enough to have dinner outside but not later than that. That's something that kind of sucks about SD as well bc we don't get more than about two weeks of warm nights, and it almost seems worse here farther inland despite the daytime heat bc our humidity is low so it cools off almost every evening even in summer. Then again, the deserts are unbearable. The Central Valley hits a nice sweet spot in that regard, unless you're in Bakersfield or Redding...

Quote:
Yep, yep, and I meant to say "one complaint" not "one compliant".....I guess you figured that out...regarding Sonoma, Marin, San Jose......they really are too cold for me in the summer evenings, and nights...not good pool weather.

If ever up this way, here is the link for California's snow parks......usually these Sierra highways have "no parking zones" heavily enforced, no where to park without getting a ticket...so the snow removal equipment can clear the roads quickly and safely.

Hence the need for the "snow parks"; they provide parking and trailheads for cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing and snowmobiles......snowmobiles noise rarely bothers you as they go far off away from snow-shoers...also there are more and more "all-electric" snowmobiles.....much quieter.

SNO-Parks
once on the site, click on the little map in the middle of the page for details on the snow parks and a good map of their locations.

or just google "California snow parks"

Old 03-31-2022, 03:16 PM

I'm glad we got more rain the past few days; it is about time!

Old 03-31-2022, 03:31 PM

California-NV-AZ Rain Totals to date in Inches 2021/22 Season - Oct 1, to March 30, 2022

Crescent City - 30.24
Santa Rosa/Sonoma County - 23.36
Eureka - 18.02
Oakland Airport - 15.89
Sacramento - Executive Airport - 15.80
Redding - 15.44

Los Angeles USC - 11.83
Livermore (Bay Area)- 11.31
Santa Barbara - 10.25
Stockton - 9.04
Reno - 6.72
Irvine - John Wayne Airport - 6.75
San Diego - Lindberg - 6.06
Fresno - 5.99

Phoenix Airport - 2.40
Palm Springs - 1.48
Las Vegas Airport - 0.52

Last edited by Chimérique; 03-31-2022 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento