Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 05:51 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,163,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
I like to grow heat loving palms, and they are not enjoying this at all. Mornings have been low clouds and cold, giving away to clear skies in the upper 60s and low 70s, typical SF weather.
Speaking of normal average weather, Both Sacramento and San Francisco have unusual summer weather compared to the rest of the USA and many people don't even know that.

SF's summer weather is unusual in that it rarely gets above 70F throughout the summer, there really is no other city that stays so consistently cool in the nation in the summer.

Sacramento's summer weather is unusual in that it consistently cools so much from it's daytime average of 88F-92F down to an average of 57F-61F. Looking at only evening, night and morning summer temps, Sacramento is one of the coolest cities in the nation in the summer. Sacramento's evening, night and morning temps are cooler than all the rest of the nations larger cities, except for SF Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, and Denver.

And Sacramento's "feels like" heat index high temp is consistently less than the actual temp. There are just a few other large cities in the west and southwest where it FEELS 5-10 degrees COOLER than it actually is.

It's the opposite in much of the rest of the USA, the actual temp doesn't represent how much more uncomfortably warm/hot it FEELS, for example, Austin or San Antonio's Texas's high actual temp of 95F really FEELS like 100F(hotter). While Sacramento's high actual temp of 95F feels like 90F(cooler).

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-24-2015 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 11:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 17,189,509 times
San Franciscans will still find a reason to complain about the weather here. I was in San Diego last month, temps in the mid/high 70s and there were San Franciscans complaining about how hot it was. It could be 70 degrees at 1 PM and they'd be running for the air conditioning.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:06 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,108,502 times
This should be changed to past tense, "Sacramento used to have great weather." There's nothing great about weather that doesn't provide enough water. Seems like we on our way to becoming Phoenix North -- hot, dry, dusty, smoggy, dirty, with colored crushed rock lawns and forever dependent on air conditioning.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This should be changed to past tense, "Sacramento used to have great weather." There's nothing great about weather that doesn't provide enough water. Seems like we on our way to becoming Phoenix North -- hot, dry, dusty, smoggy, dirty, with colored crushed rock lawns and forever dependent on air conditioning.
We've had clean air, not single day of "bad air" has occurred for the last 10-11 months, it's been lovely, cool, fair. Some rain. The weather this month(May) has been fantastic. Low to mid 70's for highs, 50's for lows temps. Partly cloudy to sunny.

Your comment doesn't make sense for most of what you say, and the drought is affecting the entire west, not just Sacramento.

In the 2 years of the drought we still got close to 15inches of rain per year, that's 3 times the amount of a desert climate, but I year ya, I certainly do not want another dry year.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,108,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Your comment doesn't make sense for most of what you say... we still got close to 15inches of rain per year...
Over half of that 15 inches came last December. We got lucky because one big warm storm hit us; if that missed us, we'd easily be below 10 inches for the year.

But you're right, my comment doesn't make sense if the reader is only thinking about today's weather, which is quite nice. I'm looking down the road. I can't prove it but my intuition tells me these warm winters with very high snow levels are here to stay, that this is how climate change will express itself here. If that's the long term trend then desertification here we come...

Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

But you're right, my comment doesn't make sense if the reader is only thinking about today's weather, which is quite nice. I'm looking down the road. I can't prove it but my intuition tells me these warm winters with very high snow levels are here to stay, that this is how climate change will express itself here. If that's the long term trend then desertification here we come...
I'll go with 150 years of weather data that says we will go back to 400-500 inches of snow in the Sierras and 20inches of rain in Sacramento, 45 inches of rain in Sierra Foothills.

If it doesn't, our priorities will have to change with how we use our water. Some bold new resources will have to be developed and built.

Climate change could also mean erratic trends, a few years of drought, then a couple of years of El Nino type heavy rains, followed by 2 years of normal precipitation, then a few years of heavy snow in the Sierras, normal rain in Valley.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 AM

The Delta Breeze has been so strong and steady this month and about a month early.

And, our high temps are only mostly in the 70's which is a bit cooler than average. Usually the Delta Breeze clearly shuts down for a part of the day, or is unnoticeable until the temps get warm, not this month.

Also, the Delta Breeze is associated with higher temps, meaning the higher the temp during the day, the more likely a Delta Breeze will follow the next day, the high pressure warm air inland sucks in the cool air.

With this trend, the Delta Breeze has been winning the battle of keeping us cool all day long, downright chilly at night, low 50's at 9pm.

With this trend, the Delta Breeze has been present all 24hrs of the Day as if the coast was 5 miles away. A lot of low clouds, marine layer is thicker and lasts longer during the morning.

Maybe climate change means cooler stronger Delta Breeze Conditions.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:26 AM

168 posts, read 239,207 times
Where I am at in Rocklin it gets the breeze always at night and usually get more low clouds than Sacramento. Maybe they get stuck against the hills.. Here is a typical morning as of late around 8am.

I think our weather is impossible to beat.. Nice warm days and cold windy nights.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Where I am at in Rocklin it gets the breeze always at night and usually get more low clouds than Sacramento. Maybe they get stuck against the hills.. Here is a typical morning as of late around 8am.

I think our weather is impossible to beat.. Nice warm days and cold windy nights.
I agree May has been awesome. June 1 is turning out quite nice as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I was up in El Dorado County(Cameron Park) in the late afternoon evening over the weekend. The temp was warmer in Cameron Park than Sacramento by 3-5 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento