Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times

Advertisements

Uncomfortably warm/hot summer nights and mornings.
How many DAYS the low temp STAYED 67F or ABOVE?

August 2015

Washington DC - 26 days
Charlotte, NC - 24 days
Oklahoma City - 24 days
Kansas City - 22 days

Richmond, VA - 17 days
Nashville - 16 days
St. Louis - 15 days
Indianapolis - 8 days

Cincinnati - 2 days
Stockton - 2 days

Sacramento - ZERO Days - Of these August days, 22 days were in the 50's, the rest in the low 60's

The ABOVE cities are at the same general latitude as Sacramento.

For perspective:
Phoenix - 31 days
Vegas - 31 days

*I was going to post more cities, but there really are not that many more larger cities close to our latitude in the USA.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-04-2015 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
August 2015

Number of Days low temp was below 67F in the morning.

Sacramento - 31 days - Sacramento was cooler than Stockton

Stockton - 29 days

Like I've said all along, "it's a wash", between Sacramento and Stockton about which is cooler/hotter in the summer.

Nope. While it is close your numbers are fudged. However it obviously make you feel better so that's a all that matters.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Nope. While it is close your numbers are fudged. However it obviously make you feel better so that's a all that matters.
I have no reason to fudge the numbers. You can go on believing what you want if it makes you feel better.

At the moment, right now 8:25am, Sept 5, 2015, not only is Stockton 2 degrees cooler than Sacramento but so is Fresno - that should make you feel better.

Either way, all 3 cities are 60F or less right now, a very comfortable and cool morning, great for outdoor exercise.....while Phoenix is 22-24 degrees hotter than us.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-05-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJliving View Post
'sunniest big city in the california', eh. time to quit using that line

1. Phoenix- 211 clear sunny days and 85% possible sunshine hours
2. Las Vegas- 210 clear sunny days and 79% possible sunshine hours
3. Fresno- 194 clear sunny days and 85% possible sunshine hours
4. Tucson- 193 clear sunny days and 85% possible sunshine hours
5. El Paso- 193 clear sunny days and 84% possible sunshine hours
6. Sacramento- 188 clear sunny days and 78% possible sunshine hours
7. Albuquerque- 186 clear sunny days and 76% possible sunshne hours
8. Los Angeles- 167 clear sunny days and 73% possible sunshine hours
9. San Francisco- 160 clear sunny days and 66% possible sunshine hours
10. San Diego- 146 clear sunny days and 68% possible sunshine hours
11. Oklahoma City- 139 clear sunny days and 68% possible sunshine hours
12. Denver- 115 clear sunny days and 69% possible sunshine hours
It's not the line I use, rather I say "Sacramento is the 3rd sunniest large Major Metro in the Nation". Sacramento metro is TWICE the size of the Fresno metro, MORE THAN TWICE THE size of either Tucson or El Paso metros.

Thanks for posting as it supports what I've been saying for a long time now.

Only half the metros on that list are considered large, 5 of them well over 2.5 million pop, Vegas and Sacramento are near the 2.5 million mark. While the smaller 5 metros are right around 1 million pop, not exactly large considering there are 40+ metros over 1.5 million.

Concerning large METROS within California, SACRAMENTO would be the #1 SUNNIEST.

Concerning large CITIES within California, Fresno would be #1 - having 6 more days of full sunshine than Sacramento, considering how much we all get, 6 Less days is actually a blessing.

Every city on that list gets a lot of sunshine, much more than the average.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-08-2015 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
Broke a record, 106 degrees. Toasty! Time for cold beverages.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 AM

9 posts, read 12,532 times
First of all, thank you for not continuing to call California "Cali" (with the exception of a couple of User names). No native of this state has ever called it "Cali." It's a dead giveaway that you're not from California. "Sac" though is perfectly acceptable.

Second, and on the subject of weather, since when do intelligent people consider temps at 99, or 98, or even 95 bearable? The OP keeps talking about how many days per summer Sacramento has that are 100+, then complains that "other people" are exaggerating about how hot it gets here. So, just for the record, and from someone who has lived in Sacramento for nearly 58 years now, 100+ is a made-up number that the OP thought could be debunked, but the high 90's are just as bad. IT IS JUST TOO FREAKING HOT HERE IN THE SUMMER!

When you lower the heat threshold from 100+ to 95+, because once the high hits 95 it's all pretty much the same, there are WEEKS and WEEKS of hot days May through September here. That isn't to say that there aren't a couple of days in a row with a break of say, 94 or 92, but then it's right back up to 95+. This past May was unusually mild but usually that's when the Unofficial start of summer begins around here and it doesn't end until the first part of October. When I was in school we used to wear shorts to school for the first couple of weeks in September (that's when the new school year began after Labor Day).

We have STIFLING heat here in the Valley for MONTHS on end in the summer and no amount of skewing the numbers or talking about the Delta breeze is going to allow me to do my gardening at noon on a "typical" summer day without melting under the midday sun and heat. It is debilitating, and by the time October gets here I'm thanking the weather gods for the break because I can't take one more day of 95+ degrees (I also can't take the sunshine anymore -- Melanoma diagnosis in July 2011 nipped that in the bud).

So, just for fun, let's give the OP something to do and make the new "magic" number 95+ instead of 100+ and we'll just see how horrible the summers are here. And you know, if year-round weather was the only factor in "making or breaking" a place Sacramento would still be rated a fairly nice place to live, but it isn't. When you factor in valley smog and horrible air quality, traffic nightmares, higher than average crime, and the increasing cost of living, Sacramento is NOT the place to be. In fact, I've had enough and am leaving next spring...

Old 09-24-2015, 05:14 PM

168 posts, read 240,803 times
I prefer Sacramento due to the mediterranean climate combined with mild winters. It is hot here a lot in the Summer but all places have A/C during the daytime. Evening time usually cool and comfortable.

But the winters very rarely drop below the freezing mark and although it can have fog it is usually short lived. And places in the hills like Rocklin hardly ever have valley fog.

My ideal location for weather would be the Los Altos/Mountain View area but I would need to spend 2 or 3 million to get a small home for my family. If it was the same price I would move in a heartbeat but its not. So the quality of life of Sacramento exceeds those areas. Nobody has ever claimed here that the Sac weather is perfect

Old 09-24-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
I prefer Sacramento due to the mediterranean climate combined with mild winters. It is hot here a lot in the Summer but all places have A/C during the daytime. Evening time usually cool and comfortable.

But the winters very rarely drop below the freezing mark and although it can have fog it is usually short lived. And places in the hills like Rocklin hardly ever have valley fog.

My ideal location for weather would be the Los Altos/Mountain View area but I would need to spend 2 or 3 million to get a small home for my family. If it was the same price I would move in a heartbeat but its not. So the quality of life of Sacramento exceeds those areas. Nobody has ever claimed here that the Sac weather is perfect
That previous poster has lived here 58years so he says; therefore his has no idea how HOT the southwest, Texas, Florida, much of the rest of the nations major metros are compared to Sacramento.

My point all along as been that Sacramento summers are no more uncomfortable than much of the nation and clearly without a doubt Sacramento summers are COOLER THAN MUCH OF THE NATION's other metros concerning morning temps (up until noon-2pm), and night time temps.

Only mountain locations, far northern locales-in the USA, and coastal California have consistently milder and cooler summers than Sacramento.

Again, the reason for this thread is for posters who are in denial and refuse to compare actually real facts about Sacramento's weather with other cites(metros) across the nation.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:45 PM

Uncomfortably warm/hot summer Days.
How many DAYS 100+ either heat index or actual temp?

August 2015

*Heat Index

Phoenix - 30 days (*24)
Vegas - 26 days (*17)
Oklahoma City - 24 days
Charlotte - *24 days
Nashville - *18 days
Washington DC - *17 days
Richmond, VA - *17 days
St. Louis - *15 days

Sacramento - 5 days (*2)
Indianapolis - *2 days
Danville (Bay Area) - 2 days
Cincinnati - *1 day

The ABOVE cities are at the same general latitude as Sacramento, except Phx and Vegas.

Last edited by Chimérique; 09-24-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Correction to last post.

Uncomfortably warm/hot summer Days.
How many DAYS 100+ either heat index or actual temp.

August 2015

*Heat Index

Phoenix - 30 days (*24)
Vegas - 26 days (*17)

Oklahoma City - *24 days
Charlotte - *24 days
Nashville - *18 days
Washington DC - *17 days
Richmond, VA - *17 days
St. Louis - *15 days

Sacramento - 5 days (*2 days)
Indianapolis - *2 days
Danville (Bay Area) - 2 days
Cincinnati - *1 day

The ABOVE cities are at the same general latitude as Sacramento, except Phx and Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento