Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I agree with you about "balmy" nights. Sacramento at 8:15pm tonight is 76F. Excellent for evening pool weather, walks in the park.

While at 8:15 tonight

Austin was 93F thats just too darn hot for nighttime weather
Phoenix 105F
Vegas 104F

Even Salt Lake City is hotter than Sac at 85F tonight, and Salt Lake is above 4200 feet in elevation.

I don't agree with you about late night and morning temps, I like it to be cool in the morning. I don't want it to feel "warm, hot or balmy" in the morning. It doesn't feel right when it never really cools down. 58F to 65F is not "cold" rather it's comfortable, cool and refreshing, but I don't want it to stay that cool all day long like in San Francisco. I like a real summer.

Sacramentans and the local weather will make a big deal and complain if the temp doesn't drop below 65-70F in the morning.

Regarding Northern California, the cities above Sacramento in the Sacramento Valley(Yuba City, Chico, Red Bluff, Redding) that do not get the Delta Breeze generally stay above 65-70F in the morning and night so you might like that.

but they don't get the summer thunderstorms from the desert monsoon while places like Palm Springs can get a nice, warm thunderstorm in August. San Diego got several thunderstorms last summer as well even though it was an anomaly. When was the last time Sacramento had rain at above 70F?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 AM

6,884 posts, read 8,260,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
but they don't get the summer thunderstorms from the desert monsoon while places like Palm Springs can get a nice, warm thunderstorm in August. San Diego got several thunderstorms last summer as well even though it was an anomaly. When was the last time Sacramento had rain at above 70F?
From May to Oct, Sacramento will get 1-2 thunderstorms on average. They can be as short as 1-2 hour period to 5-6 hours. Rain is pretty rare during this period, but the variation in temperature in a 24 hour period of 20-30 degrees along with the Delta Breeze which can be moderate to strong winds give us that variation in daily weather. Summer thunderstorms are 1-2hours away in the mountains where they average 4-8 occurrences per season on average.

What city do you live in that gets regular thunderstorms, and how often is that on average?

Sacramento averages rain above 70F about once a year or less.... I personally don't like rain above 70F on a regular basis because of that hot muggy feeling and bugs thrive in a damp warm environment. Unless the rain comes with strong trade winds as in Hawaii, but warm rain everyday and days where it rarely dips below 65F would be monotonous. I would miss cool days and cool mornings.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
From May to Oct, Sacramento will get 1-2 thunderstorms on average. They can be as short as 1-2 hour period to 5-6 hours. Rain is pretty rare during this period, but the variation in temperature in a 24 hour period of 20-30 degrees along with the Delta Breeze which can be moderate to strong winds give us that variation in daily weather. Summer thunderstorms are 1-2hours away in the mountains where they average 4-8 occurrences per season on average.

What city do you live in that gets regular thunderstorms, and how often is that on average?

Sacramento averages rain above 70F about once a year or less.... I personally don't like rain above 70F on a regular basis unless it comes with strong trade wind as in Hawaii, but warm rain everyday and days where it rarely dips below 65F would be monotonous. I would miss cool days and cool mornings.
Honestly, I don't love any climates in the U.S. The problem is on the West Coast, you have to sacrifice warmth to get rain and almost all rain is cold, thunderstorms are almost non-existent the oceans are too cold outside warm spells in OC and San Diego, and the inland parts of California have too much diurnal range and are way too dry in summer. Arizona and the deserts of California are way too hot on summer days and are too dry year round. The East Coast is mostly miserably cold in winter and even the Gulf Coast that has mild winter averages on par with coastal California gets those anomalous cold snaps that we don't. Florida has much warmer winter averages (central Florida's averages of 70/50 in winter are pretty good for me) and plenty of warm rain and thunderstorms in summer but their humidity is too the extreme that you have to run the AC 24/7 and it's too buggy and there's the hurricane danger. Hawaii is nice and warm year round but I do want a little bit of a cooling season: 85/70 in summer and something like 68/53 in winter but Hawaii doesn't cool off at all really:

Here are a few climates that I wish we had in the U.S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durban#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azores#Climate

Old 06-24-2016, 12:27 AM

You never said where you actually live and love the weather so much, no worries, if you prefer not to say.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
You never said where you actually live and love the weather so much, no worries, if you prefer not to say.
I live in Mission Viejo, Orange County, far enough inland to get guaranteed sun in the day even when the marine layer hangs on the beach all day in early summer but I frequent Laguna beach quite a hit- Most of the time it's too dry and slightly too cool for me but I liked the weather a lot last summer here with the warm El Nino water. This summer is also warming up nicely with SST around 70 but I doubt we'll get up into the upper 70s with multiple episodes of monsoons making their way to the coast like last summer.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I live in Mission Viejo, Orange County, far enough inland to get guaranteed sun in the day even when the marine layer hangs on the beach all day in early summer but I frequent Laguna beach quite a hit- Most of the time it's too dry and slightly too cool for me but I liked the weather a lot last summer here with the warm El Nino water. This summer is also warming up nicely with SST around 70 but I doubt we'll get up into the upper 70s with multiple episodes of monsoons making their way to the coast like last summer.
Coastal Cali and 10 miles inland is really near perfect. But, I don't like that most of SoCal gets half the rain Sacramento gets on average in most locations. I think Sacramento is too dry at 20 inches on average per year, 25 per year would be just perfect. SoCal's average of 5-15 inches of rain is way too dry for me.. The foothills just 1/2 hour from Sacramento do average 30+ inches of rain per year.

If regular and numerous powerful thunderstorms is something you like, SoCal ain't the place for that.

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-24-2016 at 08:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 08:36 AM

The heat wave predicated up here in NorCal that some haters were praying for didn't happen this week.

June 24, 6:30 am morning run:

Seattle 56F
Redwood City (SF/SJ) 57F
Walnut Creek (Oakland) 58F
Sacramento 59F - Clear and Sunny
Pasadena, CA 64F
Mission Viejo, CA 65F (Orange County) - Partly Cloudy
Fresno 66F

Below cities are 18-32 degrees hotter than Sacramento this morning:

Phoenix 91F - never happens in Sac in the morning
Las Vegas 84F
Atlanta 83F
Austin 80F - never happens in Sac in the morning
Saint Louis 79F
Salt Lake City 77F - still too warm for an outdoor morning run and 18 degrees hotter than Sac.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:47 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Chim I think you convinced most people here with the exception of the most hardcore trolls who only point of reference is very specific cities in the bay area very close to the coast. Of course they never mention the farther inland bay area cities that have similar weather as Sac. Once you leave comparing us to those very specific spots in the bay area, our weather, even in the summer, is better that most of the US.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:04 AM

78 posts, read 103,413 times
Saturday 6/25

Sacramento "We're warmer than the Gobi Desert" - High 102F, Low 61F
Redwood City - High 81F, Low 55F

41F spread in Sacramento? Ouch.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0euser View Post

41F spread in Sacramento?
Yeah, a 40 degree spread from low to high in Sacramento ...thats a good thing!

....it allows for a really cool morning for outdoor exercise, a very comfortable morning gardening, a comfortable noon time outdoor lunch, real summer time fun on Folsom Lake or Sacramento River water skiing, a comfortable evening on the outdoor patio for bbq, and a balmy evening swim in the backyard pool or stroll in the park, and a comfortable to cool overnight sleep WITHOUT A/C.

At 12:30 in the afternoon June 24

Phoenix - 104F
Vegas - 101F
Austin - 96F
Dallas - 94F

St. Louis - 90F
Atlanta - 90F
Miami - 90F

Fresno - 89F
Salt Lake City - 87F

Sacramento - 82F

Last edited by Chimérique; 06-25-2016 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento