U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 AM

1,195 posts, read 2,053,939 times

Advertisements

I need to purchase a sofa and recliner for a home in Pine Grove. I'm not looking for the cheapest type of furniture (furnish a room for $199), but I can't afford those "design-your-own" sofa stores either.

So, what are your favorite furniture stores in and around Sacramento?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,884,012 times
There are nice items to be found in Craigslist gently used. I bought a very nice dining table that would have cost over $1,000-$1,500 and got it for $400. I got a fridge that cost also around $1000-1200 when new and got it for $200 (still works, 3 yrs now). Found a very nice, gently used (Looks almost new) reclining leather sofa for $150 which I saw a similar one in a store for $800. Mattresses are the only furniture that I would buy new.

Other than that, you just have to look at your weekly ads and see if which stores have on sale. I tend to get better bargain from small mom and pop stores that don't advertise over bigger stores like Beck's.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM

793 posts, read 1,217,484 times
I bought my Sofa at Mcreerys. I got a flexsteel, and paid about $2900 for it. That's for a 2 piece sectional.

Outside of that, I buy pretty much ALL my furnture at RC Willey's. Very happy with their prices and service.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,349,729 times
I've bought my living room furniture at McCreevy's including my flex steel sofa I also got a beautiful leather recliner. Love it!! McCreevys has all price points, and it is possible to get "American made" there (always my preference along with customized).

I've also bought furniture (bedroom set, dining room table & bookshelves) from Naturewood. Some pieces are pricier, like the custom Amish lawyer bookcases, but this piece is beautiful and worth it to me.

I was able to order custom furniture (fabric, wood, finishes, etc) at both McCreevys and Naturewood. I always buy during sales. And FYI, prices go up twice a year, in January & July, so if you do custom order, do it before these months.

Another option is Costco. Their stuff is highly rated. Personally, I don't care for the big box circus experience found at places like IKEA or RC Wiley. RCW has reputable stuff, it's just too far away for me, and too crowded.

Last edited by caligirlz; 07-18-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,851,435 times
Becks has reasonably priced furniture if you're trying to get away from pricey custom stuff. Costco is more expensive but much better quality.

I bought some furniture at bedroom discounters (near 50 and Zinfendel) not sure if it's still there but they had bedroom stuff and other items you could order from a catalog that was MUCH cheaper than anywhere else I went.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:58 AM

My problem with ikea now is they sell a lot of particle board furniture at REAL furniture prices now!

Still, I got my desk setup there...

Old 07-20-2013, 05:26 PM

1,195 posts, read 2,053,939 times
Thanks guys!

Becks and McCreevys sounds like possibilities as is Costco.

Since we don't live full-time in the area, I really don't want to depend on Craigslist.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:10 AM

289 posts, read 470,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
My problem with ikea now is they sell a lot of particle board furniture at REAL furniture prices now!

Still, I got my desk setup there...
Most cheap furniture is made out of particle board. Even stuff at becks, rc wiley etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdev View Post
Most cheap furniture is made out of particle board. Even stuff at becks, rc wiley etc.

Yes. My point is that some of the particle board stuff at ikea is priced as highly as actual-wood options at other furnture stores.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:53 PM

5,101 posts, read 8,349,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Yes. My point is that some of the particle board stuff at ikea is priced as highly as actual-wood options at other furnture stores.
I think it's pricely similarly to the "wood" stuff from China. Certainly not to the better made "made in the USA" wood furniture.

You can find a list of some of the "made in the USA" manufacturer's on the Naturwood site. http://www.naturwood.com/made-in-north-america.aspx

They used to carry http://www.showroom.stuartdavid.com/...FUlp7AodVUsAVQ but apparently SD opened their own local store, the warehouse is located in Ceres

I've also bought furniture from Brownwood Furniture from Southern Ca, now closed. You can still find some of their pieces around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento