Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I don't have any "Indians" on my street. There is an "Intel ("indian") enclave" near Intel/Prairie Oaks. Some of the neighborhoods near there are not as well kept as other neighborhoods. I used to live over there and that was my observation on my many walks. FWIW, a lot of the wealthier "Indians" live in American River Canyon. I'm glad we have a variety of people in California, regardless of labels placed on them by others.
I am too. And the only 'bad' people in California are the people who think people who are different are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM

457 posts, read 1,182,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeJeH View Post
What neighborhoods in Elk Grove specifically do you think are ghetto? Please list cross streets and reasons why they are "ghetto". I grew up in Florin near Elk Grove and the best neighborhood in Floring is more dangerous than the worst neighborhood in Elk Grove
I would attribute a large portion of the perceived ghettoness to Elk Grove as being what people see in their cars. So if you are just visiting Elk Grove and are driving you may see more ghetto type cars / people than other areas. I believe that's a result of bordering South Sacramento where a lot of those people come down to Elk Grove to shop etc.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Basically, like Folsom. A lot of people freak when they see brown people.
Yep. Cracks me up every time! They see a non Caucasian kid walking around wearing casual clothes. Must be a gang memeber. . Oh no, he listens to loud rap music in his car, he must have murdered 3 people already. LMFAO. Been in Elk Grove for almost 3 yrs now and I have not seen or run into a gang member, that tells me there are far and few in between.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,081,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
I would attribute a large portion of the perceived ghettoness to Elk Grove as being what people see in their cars. So if you are just visiting Elk Grove and are driving you may see more ghetto type cars / people than other areas. I believe that's a result of bordering South Sacramento where a lot of those people come down to Elk Grove to shop etc.
What exactly constitutes a "ghetto-type person"?

Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM

117 posts, read 486,049 times
The thing is, I have lived here for four years and I hardly ever even see anyone in sagging pants or other attire associated with gangs. As for low income housing, well, every town has it...it is the law, after all. To me, ghetto means gang bangers, hoopty cars, big rims, high crime, and bars on all the windows of almost every house. EG just doesn't have much of those things.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Man, some of you guys sound really silly by assuming that someone wearing sagging pants is in a ****ing gang or lowers the quality of life in their neighborhood.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
Quote:
Man, some of you guys sound really silly by assuming that someone wearing sagging pants is in a ****ing gang or lowers the quality of life in their neighborhood.
Pull up your pants, no one wants to see your underwear. That about sums it up. Whether followers do it to support some childish fashion statement, because their favorite celebrity dresses that way or whether its a gang thing, no one should have to be subjected to a mass of rear end projected from pants hanging around ones thighs. That type of dress shows a lack of maturity, civility and class. If one were looking at houses in a neighborhood and saw many youths in the area dressed with the typical thuggish sagging pants, would it make people think twice about buying in that area? That is a quality of life issue to residents, as is property values and crime. The fact that felons are often one of the primary groups wearing their pants in this fashion, does not add to it's appeal. The root of this "fad" is from the prison system that issued poorly fitting clothing and apparently did not allow belts for security reasons. Certainly something for the masses to emulate.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Pull up your pants, no one wants to see your underwear. That about sums it up. Whether followers do it to support some childish fashion statement, because their favorite celebrity dresses that way or whether its a gang thing, no one should have to be subjected to a mass of rear end projected from pants hanging around ones thighs. That type of dress shows a lack of maturity, civility and class. If one were looking at houses in a neighborhood and saw many youths in the area dressed with the typical thuggish sagging pants, would it make people think twice about buying in that area? That is a quality of life issue to residents, as is property values and crime. The fact that felons are often one of the primary groups wearing their pants in this fashion, does not add to it's appeal. The root of this "fad" is from the prison system that issued poorly fitting clothing and apparently did not allow belts for security reasons. Certainly something for the masses to emulate.
This one of the more ridiculous posts I've read recently, LOL. Most people who sag their pants are felons?!? People that sag their pants affect the quality of life of those around them and affect property values? What are you talking about?

You know what's worse than kids sagging their pants? The morbidly obese. Riding around on handicap scooters to save breath when walking around when they aren't handicapped. Obese women with huge Mary cleavage hanging out. Beer guts and ass cracks hanging out constantly? Do they affect home values too? Do obese people in a neighborhood mean the neighborhood is ghetto?

The amount of judging and hyperbolic assumptions in this thread is ridiculous. Quit judging people by the way they look.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 AM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times
If they think Elk Grove is ghetto, I wonder what they would call Camden, Gary and parts of Detroit LOL

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Do obese people in a neighborhood mean the neighborhood is ghetto?
Since high rates of obesity go hand in hand with low income, the answer is probably yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento