Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times

Advertisements

I walked my dog (shepherd) every evening in Cabrillo Park and no problems, Had nice conversations with the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

229 posts, read 337,650 times
Thanks for the comments but I think it's just safe now to think people in my area just do not see the purpose/ enjoyment of walking a dog since people I run across while walking have no problem being cordial it's just the walking a dog which seems to be the fascination and not the owner.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:44 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
In Midtown seeing tough-looking guys walking their girlfriends' little toy dogs is so common I'm surprised there isn't a website dedicated to it. Anyone want to register dudeswalkinglittledogs.com? Could be one heck of a tumblr site.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
In Midtown seeing tough-looking guys walking their girlfriends' little toy dogs is so common I'm surprised there isn't a website dedicated to it. Anyone want to register dudeswalkinglittledogs.com? Could be one heck of a tumblr site.
wow...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:21 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
dogs are usually for guarding houses in South Sacramento.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:56 PM

256 posts, read 367,427 times
Maybe you're just devastatingly good looking. That's the only thing that makes me look twice at a dude walking a dog.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 PM

137 posts, read 344,693 times
People often take on pets without understanding what they should be doing to take care of them. Especially when it comes to walking dogs. In areas that are generally lower-income, lower-education, there is just less awareness about why a dog needs to be walked, how frequently, how far, etc. My neighbors have a beautiful husky that they never walk. And for a long time they kept it chained up 24/7. I finally got animal control to come leave them a note about chaining. Now it tries to destroy my fence or dig underneath it, because it's incredibly hyper, because it never gets walked. It's depressing to see.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
dogs are usually for guarding houses in South Sacramento.
Pretty much sums up what my final thoughts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeney View Post
Maybe you're just devastatingly good looking. That's the only thing that makes me look twice at a dude walking a dog.
Hmm... then I guess my social life in my new area is about to pick up. Of course no guy will ever dispute your theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacramentoBound View Post
People often take on pets without understanding what they should be doing to take care of them. Especially when it comes to walking dogs. In areas that are generally lower-income, lower-education, there is just less awareness about why a dog needs to be walked, how frequently, how far, etc. My neighbors have a beautiful husky that they never walk. And for a long time they kept it chained up 24/7. I finally got animal control to come leave them a note about chaining. Now it tries to destroy my fence or dig underneath it, because it's incredibly hyper, because it never gets walked. It's depressing to see.
I agree although some high class/ income neighbors think Cujo the family terror is happy just because he has a big yard. I understand we're all busy but don't take a dog unless you want all the responsibility that comes with, including thinking about your neighbors when you leave the dog outside all day/ night and he serenades us to the point of madness or ear plugs. Unless you have some 2lb pom lap dog you got to know your dogs temperament, some dogs got to get out, some want SOME task to be happy or need more interaction than barking at anyone within 50 feet. To my friends credit she sacrifices time even after working long hours to play with them, get them out on walks either early in the day or after work when it cools down, dog parks or makes sure I or others are paid to do so. My neighbor... he seems nice but leaves both his dogs outside 24/7 (one chained) with only very limited access to inside the house and no shade and the dogs just bark CONSTANTLY or whines. Another neighbor goes the opposite direction and just allows her dogs to roam the neighborhood, which I had to file a report since cars were barely dogging them on main streets.

Funny though.. today someone stopped for small talk and said "boy those dogs are spoiled. Got you walking and cleaning after them, my dogs don't get walks." So I asked what type of dog and how big was his yard and he said he had a Labrador retriever and a 20x15 yard...... wow, and he wonders why he has trouble with his dog barking and tearing stuff inside the house all day. I have to begrudgingly admit as much as I like to change ones perspective over here it seems to be area specific since we just looked at other areas around land park and hollywood park and saw several people walking their dogs on side streets so I will just continue to smile and laugh to myself the next time people steer slightly at the sight of someone actually walking a dog since I just relocated to Sac so I just had to get housing fast before work started so when my lease is up in 6-months might just target those areas of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento