U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,200 times

Advertisements

Hey fellow Sactowners. (I promise never to use that word again.) So I moved here recently to take a professional position. I'm coming from SF, and used to an active night life and arts scene, whereas here it seems "singles scene" and "30s" are mutually exclusive. Any tips on fun, artsy low-key activities to do on the weekends or happy hours to check out on weekdays? I can get down with a lot of scenes so don't hold back!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM

290 posts, read 516,219 times
You haven't been able to find that in midtown? Where are you living? If you are looking for the fun arsty things to do you really need to be in midtown.

Explore Midtown

Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 PM

80 posts, read 195,926 times
Where in the Sacramento area are you going to be working? Where do you live?

I read somewhere that moving is one of the top 30 most stressful events in a persons life. The stress isn't from packing and unpacking. The stress occurs because it takes time to friends as close as the friends you had before you moved. That takes time because most people already have friends that they are content with and aren't needing to find a lot of new friends vs newcomers like yourself don't really know anyone and can feel a lonely. What I am getting at is when you move to an area, don't make the situation worse by assuming that you are some type of social misfit because it takes time to find your niche. It just does take time.

More importantly when you move here don't assume the problem is that you moved from SF to Sacramento assume that is moving anywhere is a problem. When I moved to San Francisco, I had the same problem that I had when I first moved to Sacramento. The reason most people choose to live in Sacramento is because we really like Sacramento. If you live in Sacramento and spend a lot of time bitching about how you wished you were back in SF people will recognize and resent your boorish behavior.

Second figure out your interests. Get involved in them and spend less time saying at home. You can start with the News and Review or the Ticket section of the Sacramento Bee.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:17 PM

8,631 posts, read 16,419,691 times
Yeah, there is some kind of festival or event, if not several, during most of the warm weather months, which is most of 'em, and probably most are pretty mellow by San Francisco standards. If you're out in the suburbs things are a lot more family-centric. There is a big multi-weekend artist studio tour series starting next weekend, in addition to the usual Second Saturday art gallery events, all over downtown and midtown. This Sunday is the monthly antique fair under Highway 50 between 20th, 22nd, W and X, 5 acres of antique dealers, or the GOOD monthly art/craft fair on Del Paso Boulevard in North Sacramento.

The main thing to know about Sacramento is that there is plenty of stuff to do, but you kind of have to find it. Once you know where the action is, you can maintain a full social calendar.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,792,786 times
Also there are literally thousands of State workers, at least half of whom are males, hanging out after work in the Capitol area. Try Ernesto's on O and 16th. You'll meet people.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Thank you for all of the tips on places to go and things to do! I work in Natomas and live in Arden Arcade, which I realize is kind of far from things I might like to do, but I have to say I love where I'm living. Having more space and a yard was important to me, over being right at the center of the action. That's why I have a car.

I will definitely check out some of the stuff you suggested wburg and will check out Ernesto's too. Thanks eureka1! I am now a state worker myself, so that makes it all the easier. I went to see some comedy last night and it was great. I have no problem doing stuff by myself and took myself on a little tour of midtown during the day yesterday. You're right marland, I think it will just take time...

Old 09-08-2013, 03:32 PM

80 posts, read 195,926 times
Welcome to Sacramento, the place will grow on you as you figure out more things to do. When I moved here one of the better places I found for meeting people were some of the classes and trips offered by the CSUS aquatic center, by CSUS Peak Adventures and the classes and trips sponsored by UC Davis Outdoor Adventures.

Aquatic Center Home

Peak Adventures

Outdoor Adventures

If you have any interest in biking, running or triathlons, then I would check out the Sacramento Wheelmen, the Sacramento triathlon club or the buffalo chips running clubs. All of these places are pretty good place to meet young fairly fun and interesting people.

Sacramento Wheelmen Bicycle Club Home Page

Sacramento Triathlon Club | Sacramento, CA | Triathlon

Buffalo Chips Running Club

Another good place to meet people or just add life skills was by taking Tango lessons at Tango by the River.

Tango by the River, Sacramento Tango

Lastly I also thought the cooking classes at Whole Market were really good. You learned a lot and it was a pretty good place to meet people. They are through the culinary center and the Whole Foods Market is located at Arden and Eastern. So that should be fairly close to where you live.

Culinary Center Information | Whole Foods Market

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM

2,965 posts, read 5,984,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marland View Post
If you live in Sacramento and spend a lot of time bitching about how you wished you were back in SF people will recognize and resent your boorish behavior.
Can't stress this enough.

I've known a few "bay area" transplants in my time and the ones who were the stuck up bitchy ones that complained that sacramento is "not san francisco" were usually the ones that were avoided and no one wanted to hang around.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM

8,631 posts, read 16,419,691 times
Arden Arcade has some nice MCM neighborhoods. Here is the scoop on the Capital Artists' Studio Tour, over the next 2 weekends in Midtown and East Sacramento:

Capital Artists' Studio Tour

Old 09-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Can't stress this enough.

I've known a few "bay area" transplants in my time and the ones who were the stuck up bitchy ones that complained that sacramento is "not san francisco" were usually the ones that were avoided and no one wanted to hang around.
I was raised by a working mom on East Coast so I am probably the furthest thing from an SF snob you could drum up, but thanks for reminder not to be a stuck up B.

It's funny because while I think have come off as pretty upbeat about the transition to Sacramento, excited about discovering the city, etc., it's all of my coworkers who are like "Why on EARTH would you move from SF to HERE???" But most of them are born and raised in Sac so I can understand the sentiment of wanting to escape the place you grew up in. The few people I do know who live here in my age range, all who have relocated from larger cities, say they love it.

Wburg, MCM being midcentury modern? I am actually trying to furnish my place in pieces from that era, as I figured I should go with the flow of the house...

Last edited by nicfit; 09-08-2013 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento