Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,095 times

Advertisements

Currently I live down in Orange County with my husband and 3 kids. It's a great life, but my husband works hard at a job he doesn't love just to pay our huge mortgage. We are creative people who can imagine something different for ourselves and our kids. We are hoping that a move to the gold country area would get us closer to trees, provide them with more open space, and allow us to live off less. Here is my question: Is this area a simpler life? I do not want to make a lifestyle change just to find out my new neighbors also talk only about kitchen countertops and consume consume consume. I wonder if we moved to Folsom/Granite Bay would our kids be close to school and activities, but the lifestyle be similar to what we have now; but if we move to Placerville or Pollock Pines would we be too far away from school and baseball practice and always driving around and the kids missing having neighborhood friends?
It's hard to plan a new life using only the internet! I'd love some 'feet on the ground' perspective!
Thanks.

If anyone happens to be an elementary school teacher, I'd also love to know if the job market seems to be opening up. We are hoping that current home equity plus my salary as a teacher would get us by and my husband could find a job he loves, not just for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I think with any place you go, it's very dependent on which neighborhood you choose. Certainly, there is more option for open space and simpler living as you get further out. Placerville has plenty of schools and youth baseball teams. Living on acreage, there are fewer nearby neighbors. But there are plenty of neighborhoods with kids even in rural towns.

I would look for jobs before moving. While its getting better, elementary teaching jobs can be hard to get. Our school had a few openings this year with many applicants.

Come up for the weekend. Drive around the areas you think might work. Your impression in person might be quite different than what you get via the Internet.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,652,565 times
You'll really have to come check out the areas you're interested in. Folsom and Gold River are two of the nicest areas in the metro area, so while you might find plenty of folks you like, you'll also find plenty of your more stereotypical high income suburbanites that you encounter in Orange County. (Nothing against those areas generally--they're really quite nice.) Keep in mind also that when you're in the suburbs/exurbs, it will be a challenge to find a place with acreage at a "reasonable" price. Prices in general are obviously much lower here than in OC, but for land, in a nice area with good schools, you can expect a pretty penny.

Placerville, etc, might be a little more down to earth, for no other reason than being outside the usual commuting range of Sacramento, but you're right--less for the kids to do, and maybe more time in the car trying to get to places your kids want to be.

This all becomes even more difficult with the job situation. The job market has improved and all, and you both may be able to find something you like--you just won't know where. Being out in Placerville or Pollock Pines almost definitely locks in a long commute, and basically eliminates jobs in Sacramento proper if you want him to maintain his sanity (45 to an hour to Sac with no traffic....and there'll be traffic.)

Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM

762 posts, read 2,030,980 times
I would say gold river for you. You will have access to whatever you are seeking and that is the epitome of a simple life (no yard maintenance, walk to the river, but CLOSE to jobs that you will be able to find in sac area)

If you go rural, stay close to the freeway. The surface streets cross town can take just as long to go 8 miles as a 20 mile commute on a moving freeway,, BUT, that limits your potential job location. Gold River allows you flexibility.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 AM

6 posts, read 14,095 times
Thank you so much for your responses! We have thought about moving a couple of times, but the practical realities of life has always kept us here in OC. I'm really hoping we can make it happen in two years or so. Your advice is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento