Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 02:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,157 times

Advertisements

My partner just accepted a job at Intel and we will be moving to the Folsom area within the next month or two. Can anyone tell me some good places to look into? Our requirements are a house with a fenced back yard (doesn't have to be huge) within a 1-2 hour commute to Intel. My boyfriend enjoys a long commute because it's his relaxation time but would not want to commute for more than 2 hours. We're hoping that a longer commute would mean more options for housing. We have two medium size dogs and they like to hang out in the yard, so we can't live in an apartment. We would prefer to spend as little as possible on rent, hoping for a 2-3 bedroom under $1,000. Is that possible in this area? We're saving for a wedding and a house, and are currently supporting his disabled parents and they come with many medical bills so the cheaper, the better! We do understand if this is not possible and we need to go higher, it's just a preference. Another preference would be an area with a good gym nearby. Gold's Gym preferred, but as long as there is a good selection of machinery and weights, I'll take it!

I would really appreciate any help I can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Folsom is a really nice little city, your best bet is probably to find a house in or near Folsom and have a 10-15 minute commute. That will also save thousands of dollars a year in gas and car wear and tear, so you coukd afford a considerably higher rent. And your husband can spend all that extra time relaxing however he wants in that extra 10-20 hours a week, like relaxing on Folsom Lake.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcat9 View Post
My partner just accepted a job at Intel and we will be moving to the Folsom area within the next month or two. Can anyone tell me some good places to look into? Our requirements are a house with a fenced back yard (doesn't have to be huge) within a 1-2 hour commute to Intel. My boyfriend enjoys a long commute because it's his relaxation time but would not want to commute for more than 2 hours. We're hoping that a longer commute would mean more options for housing. We have two medium size dogs and they like to hang out in the yard, so we can't live in an apartment. We would prefer to spend as little as possible on rent, hoping for a 2-3 bedroom under $1,000. Is that possible in this area? We're saving for a wedding and a house, and are currently supporting his disabled parents and they come with many medical bills so the cheaper, the better! We do understand if this is not possible and we need to go higher, it's just a preference. Another preference would be an area with a good gym nearby. Gold's Gym preferred, but as long as there is a good selection of machinery and weights, I'll take it!

I would really appreciate any help I can get!
Welcome to Folsom!!!

While it may be possible to find lower rents in Folsom, the rents are typically much higher than your budget, even for most apartments. You may need to go a little further away. We don't have a Gold's gym in Folsom, the closest is Rancho Cordova, so if that is a must, you may want to look there. The rents will be more in line with your budget as well. And it's not that far.

I will post some rental websites for Folsom when I get home. We have several big box gyms, like Golds here. California Family Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness & Broadstone Raquet Club are popular. There are also a slew of independent gyms and crossfits.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM

I don't mind going farther away, as long as it is within a two hour drive to Folsom. Again, my husband loves driving and we hope that by having a lower amount in rent, he can use that for gas in his relaxing drive to and from work.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:08 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,651,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcat9 View Post
I don't mind going farther away, as long as it is within a two hour drive to Folsom. Again, my husband loves driving and we hope that by having a lower amount in rent, he can use that for gas in his relaxing drive to and from work.
Your husband sure has found an odd (and expensive and polluting) way to relax. I'd suggest he consider a nice bike commute. Saves money, and much healthier than sitting in a car as a place to relax. Definitely do-able at Intel. A great bike path runs from Sacramento all the way to Folsom, and an on-road bike path takes you the last mile or two.

In any case, two hours from Folsom basically includes anywhere from the Bay Area to Nevada, so you might need to limit it down a little bit. For cheap-ish rent and a little space, I'd second caligirlz's recommendation for Rancho Cordova and the surrounding burbs, like Fair Oaks, Carmichael, or Orangevale. Folsom is nice, and a bit pricey; areas immediately to the east of Folsom (Cameron Park, EDH) are also "nice" (in a boring, family-friendly sort of way) and a bit pricey. If you head outside of the "normal" commute distance to most Sac-area employment centers, it gets rural and cheaper still. If you're leaning towards a little more city life, there are plenty of options closer to Sac that are reasonably priced, like Tahoe Park.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM

He's not a fan of bikes, but thanks for the suggestion!

Thank you for the area suggestions, I'll get right on looking.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
Or, you may want to go further east up the hill...not very urban, but urban is an easy drive down into Sacramento. Check Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville. There's lots of really cool places to explore, and it would be a nice commute into Folsom.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:17 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,124 times
Just live in Folsom! If you are coming from the San Jose area (Intel?), you will find your home dollars go much further and you can have the McMansion with a big yard, close to your job no less!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:36 AM

762 posts, read 2,029,902 times
Does your partner care if the freeway is moving for relaxing purposes? If you chose, say, Elk Grove, natomas, or Lincoln, there will be mucho traffic, but you might find a deal. Other choices would be to the east and could include towns like Jackson, placerville, auburn. Other thoughts are marysville or woodland, valley towns.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,102,359 times
I second the Cameron park to placerville. A real nice gym in placerville area, plus it is a full on old west town and close to apple hill and up to the sierras and south Lake Tahoe. Close to the gold west towns, really pretty areas. Lots of semi rural open spaces still left and within 1/2 hr drive to Folsom and all the amenities of the larger typical suburban over populated areas of Folsom and el dorado hills. When you go more into "the flats" of sacramento, such as everything below Folsom, yuck. Too crowded, hot as hell in the summer and smoggy and foggy in the winter. If you crest the hill at the top of el dorado hills and go to the "other side" you are above the smog line and the intense heat, although plenty hot, not like valley heat. Much prettier and a more simplified lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento