Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times

Advertisements

Is Elk Grove going for the goal of being the worst suburb in history? I mean seriously, they must be actively trying to go for laughing stock of the state. Who in there right mind would think the MLS would approve of putting a stadium at the far fringe of the entire region where the vast majority of people don't live?

Forget about the MLS stated very clearly they are only interested in urban locations and are looking at the Railyards or West Sac bridge district (while completely ignoring Elk Grove's attempts), but even for a suburban location, at the edge of Grant Line? Really? You litterally could not pick a worse location in the entire Sacramento region. Literally 95% of the entire metro lives north and northeast of there.

Quote:
Elk Grove approves 100-acre land purchase, seeks pro soccer team

Elk Grove is buying a 100-acre parcel south of the city with an eye toward building a long-sought complex that would draw Major League Soccer to the city.

The nearly $4.4 million land deal for farmland at Grant Line Road and Highway 99 was approved Wednesday by the Elk Grove City Council.

“There’s quite a bit of due diligence to do, but it’s a really good location,” said Elk Grove City Manager Laura Gill. “There may be other facilities that can go in there, but we are considering that for a soccer complex. It’s a good investment.”

Mayor Gary Davis stressed at Wednesday’s council meeting that “no one’s going to build a stadium until there’s an ironclad agreement” with a franchise.

Elk Grove has been working for several years with Northern California Soccer LLC, the group led by former Assembly Speaker Fabian Núñez, to bring professional soccer to the city.

Read more here: Elk Grove approves 100-acre land purchase, seeks pro soccer team - Elk Grove News - The Sacramento Bee

Elk Grove approves 100-acre land purchase, seeks pro soccer team - Elk Grove News - The Sacramento Bee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,862 times
If you build it they will come

Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,300 times
I live right by there but I don't want it there. It's not centrally located in Sacramento and there's no other way of getting there besides a car. I hope they could do something else with the land.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 AM

136 posts, read 211,522 times
The supposed benefit of this location is to bring fans from Stockton/Modesto. As if that would somehow improve the experience. I agree the city management of Elk Grove is delusional and likely beholden to moneyed developers. Developers would love that location, more sprawl to profit from! I'm guessing the land was so cheap it was a low risk gamble to buy in.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
The supposed benefit of this location is to promote southward sprawl onto what is now farmland but Elk Grove's city government and real estate developers would like to see converted to new residential subdivisions. That's what the mall was supposed to do, and what malls used to do (Florin, Arden, Sunrise, Country Club etc. were all built on farmland that sprouted subdivisions.) It's also exactly what Arco Arena did (the developer who built Arco did so in order to convince Sacramento government to convert rice fields in the reclamation district to developable residential land) and they're hoping to do the same thing.

Pretty sure people driving from Stockton/Modesto to see a soccer match would be just as willing to drive the rest of the way to downtown Sacramento. Plus theoretically they could take Amtrak's San Joaquin trains directly to the matches in Sacramento if Caltrans adds more trains as planned--even if Elk Grove becomes a San Joaquin stop it won't be near this site.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,263,596 times
Good post I saw on the soccer forums, I bet this is the actual end goal for Elk Grove politicians.

Quote:
I was thinking to myself, "this could be a rouse." The EG politicians are using the unattainable goal of securing a soccer stadium for a non-existent team as an excuse to use public money to buy up land. Then when the plans inevitably fail when either A) Republic get their downtown stadium deal done, or B) MLS goes elsewhere and says no more teams, The EG politicians will turn around and sell the land at a huge discount to their crony friends who will develop the land on the cheap and rake in the money.

The bait and switch deal. stealing money out from under the noses of their constituents. It wouldn't be the first time.

It's just a theory BTW. Just mere thoughts trying to understand why these numb nut politicians are pushing for something that we all know seems far fetched and makes no sense for MLS to bother with.
Sacramento | Page 36 | BigSoccer Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 AM

527 posts, read 1,324,195 times
EG is trying to do what it can to bring people to the City and bring in revenue. I think it would also help catalyze development in the SEPA as well. They have been frustrated in recovering from the recession and bringing in new businesses from an economic development standpoint, so being able to purchase land for a potential deal is important for the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento