Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM

58 posts, read 243,425 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Northern California, and will determine whether it will be to the Bay Area or Sacramento. We left the Washington, DC area a year ago, so we’re familiar with traffic, high costs of living, etc (and it seems there’s even more of that in N. CA!). We’re currently living in the reddest of red states, Utah, and really crave the bluer end of the spectrum. We’re looking for a community that values diversity, great restaurants, great shopping, great festivals and events, and moderate to Democratic-leaning politics. We’re both suburban-raised, though, and like the convenience of nearby Costco's, a good mall, bookstores, and big box shops.

Some of our more specific criteria include:
• Houses in the $500k - $700k range
• Although we appreciate diversity, we value low crime even more. Is crime really as bad as I see on city stat charts? Or is it mostly restricted to the downtown areas?
• I’m reading reports on the air quality in the area, and it seems like it’s not so good, especially over the summer. Is that a fair assessment? Looks like you may be getting a lot of smog blowing in from the SF area?
• How is the high tech job market? My most recent job was with America Online, so I’m a white-collar techie

In considering Sacramento (online at least), it looks like the areas of Roseville, Rancho Cordova, Granite Bay, Folsom, Rocklin, Loomis, Eldorado Hills… may meet our criteria. Any specific input or observances will be very greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by SpencerLV; 10-18-2006 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 PM

424 posts, read 2,688,547 times
Default Real Diversity?

Lots of questions to answer. I'll see what I can do.

Sacramento tends to be less diverse and more conservative than SF but the crime is much lower and you can still find a place to live that isn't wall to wall homes (but the space is moving farther and farther from Sac). I read that Sacramento was voted the most diversified city where people get along, in the US. Our population is largely White and Hispanic, but there are lots of Blacks, Asians (large Chinese population), and many immigrants.

Sac is a "blue" city and almost always votes in more Democrats that Republicans. Until Arnold, every elected office (other than the Legislature) was held by a Democrat. Now that Arnold has a Chief of Staff who is a Democrat, who knows.....

Sac has a population of about 600K, but with the outlying areas, it's about 2 million. So, there are lots of choices. The crime rate is really bad in some areas like all large cities, but you can also find areas that have very little crime and there are gated communities if you want to feel even safer (Rancho Murieta). You can find lots of shopping and stores, malls (Roseville Galeria), bookstores, restaurants--you won't need to worry.

Intel and HP are larger employers (and of course the State--this is the capitol) and both are cutting back, but Sacramento has a strong job market compared to most other places. The white collar companies have been leaving SF area for years. People with computer skills are in demand here.

You should be able to find a home in your range in many nice areas. You won't be able to find one in (unless you are real lucky) Davis, Land Park, McKinley Park, or Granite Bay---but who needs to be run over by all those luxury cars! Lots of SUVs in Granite Bay.

I wouldn't look in Rancho Cordova unless you head to the new homes in Mather, but the rest of your choices look good for low crime, nice homes, jobs, etc. One interesting statistic is that Blacks in El Dorado Hills make so much money per capita, that the State has to delete that city when they run data or it skews the data. So if you are a well to do Black person, you will like EDH. As you head east the population gets more in the "Red" zone. So if you head out to Grass Valley, Auburn, Placerville, or Shingle Springs, they vote Republican and are largely White. The WASPs are alive and well in Placer, El Dorado, and Nevada Counties!

The smog is rarely terrible, but it gets in the unhealthy zone sometimes. If you exercise in the morning, you won't notice it. It does get bad if there is a wildfire since Sac is in a valley. But the smog is no where near as bad as LA. SF gets more breeze and less smog (blows it here!). Sac also has a delta and the breeze usually blows out the smog. But it does get hot here. If you hate the heat, go to the bay area or Tahoe.

Let me know what else you want to know. Good luck with your move.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:17 PM

KidBlue,

Thank you so much for the detailed answer, this will be very helpful with the move decision! Wow, 2 million people in the area, it's a lot bigger than I thought it was.

We currently live in the desert, but have been here for only a year. Being East coasters, wildfires were really hard to get used to this past summer. I recall one lightning storm sparking 47 new fires. It looks like Sacramento is out of the worst earthquake zone, which is a huge plus for us over the Bay area, but how is it with all that heat in the summer, i.e. do all those golden hills easily catch fire?

Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,402,944 times
Hiya -

Sacramento is extremely diverse and in the last five years, we have had quite a few transplants from San Jose and San Francisco due to the then lower housing costs.

You will find in the better areas of Sacramento that housing is about 200 per sq ft in pricing. There are parts in Sacramento that you will want to stay away from. South Sacramento, especially Oak Park area is very crime ridden. We live in a planned community in Natomas (near the airport) and we have a lot of nice neighbors who are very diverse.

Sacramento, itself is Blue, while the areas north east of the city such as Roseville, Rocklin etc (Placer County) is conservative, although that is changing with the influx of people and the large growth in the area.

Sacramento is great place to live because if you want to go to the City (SF) its only an hour and a half drive (depending on traffic - time of day) and the same time to the mountains.

I grew up in Roseville and unfortunately/fortunately we are leaving the area. Due to the roller coaster of life, we are moving to Texas.

The area is very spread out so there isn't really very much of a cohesive transportation system besides the buses and rail station in the downtown portion.

Some of our more specific criteria include:
• Houses in the $500k - $700k range - Shouldn't be a problem• Im selling my house

Although we appreciate diversity, we value low crime even more. Is crime really as bad as I see on city stat charts? Or is it mostly restricted to the downtown areas? It is more concentrated in the south portion of the city as well as downtown. But really, you have to be careful any where you go.

• I’m reading reports on the air quality in the area, and it seems like it’s not so good, especially over the summer. Is that a fair assessment? Looks like you may be getting a lot of smog blowing in from the SF area? No we are in the Valley and smog from everywhere gets trapped in here during some periods of the summer. The San Joaquin Delta breezes come in and blow it out and then it is better. They call it the "Inversion Layer". During the winter, we don't find many, if any, warnings.

• How is the high tech job market? My most recent job was with America Online, so I’m a white-collar techie. Well I think you will find quite a bit out here. My hubby has a friend that works for Ebay up here. Intel, HP, Apple, Oracle, plus we have a lot of consultant companies. Before I was a stay at home Mom, my hubby and I had our own computer consulting business. Now he is handling accounts nationwide for his current company (which is part of why we are moving)

In considering Sacramento (online at least), it looks like the areas of Roseville, Rancho Cordova, Granite Bay, Folsom, Rocklin, Loomis, Eldorado Hills… may meet our criteria. Any specific input or observances will be very greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

All of those areas would meet your criteria, I would think...they are all a lot nicer than Sacramento proper if you like new homes. You can find some very old, quaint homes in downtown. Granite Bay & El Dorado Hills have become very chichi, exclusive, and snobby, if you ask me. Rancho Cordova (used to be called Rancho Cambodia) is starting to rehab itself. They have a few newer developments going in.

If you have anything specific, please send me a private message and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Good luck to you in your search.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Guingirl - thanks so much for all this info, you guys have been extremely helpful! I will send you a private message with some more specific questions, and thanks in advance for your time!

Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,402,944 times
Sure thing!! Hope it helps!!

Old 10-22-2006, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 101,284 times
I live in Roseville right now and can tell you a lot about the area. Roseville has the largest retail shopping area, including a fairly new mall, in the Sacramento area. I live in your typical suburban neighborhood and find that there is quite a bit of diversity, which I love. We have great schools, some of the best in the area, and the crime rate is pretty low. Yes, we do have pretty bad air quality but that is expected almost any where in California. I personally think that Roseville is a great place to raise a family but after living in the suburbs for all my life I am starting to get sick of it.

Neighboring communities like Rocklin, Lincoln, and Granite Bay offer similar amenities. This whole area is growing like crazy so if you're looking for a new home you've come to the right place. Home prices out here are starting at around $400 and keep going up.

If you have any other questions just send me a PM. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback! If Roseville has the largest concentration of retail/new retail in the area, is it always heavily congested throughout all times of day? Or are weekends the worst?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:38 PM

5 posts, read 48,298 times
Default Sacramento is Okay

Hi Spencer,

I currently live in Sacramento, CA but I was raised in Baltimore. You have a lot of questions but I think I can answer some.

First off, I would not recommend moving to Roseville, Natomas, Elk Grove or any of those type of places from the vibe I got from your post. Almost every single house looks the same and its just street after street of strip malls that all look the same.

As far as crime goes, its everywhere but the majority of it happens in the "ghetto". Although, there is more then one. Some neighborhoods to probably not move into would be North Highlands or Oak Park. Not that they are all bad but there is more crime going on there.

From what you have said, and the amount you want to spend on a house, I would go for East Sacramento, McKinley Park or Land Park. These are the "old" suburbs that are pretty close to midtown and downtown. These neighborhoods have houses that all look different, and have character. They are also in neighborhoods that have big beautiful parks. Particularly Land Park. The streets are lined with trees and there are lots of local businesses. They are close to freeways so you can easily get to your Costco or Target in ten minutes. You will find less diversity in these neighborhoods but definitely more then you would find in Natomas.

Good Luck!

Jenn

Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM

13 posts, read 101,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerLV View Post
Thanks for the feedback! If Roseville has the largest concentration of retail/new retail in the area, is it always heavily congested throughout all times of day? Or are weekends the worst?
It actually isn't too bad. But after Thanksgiving it can get pretty congested due to holiday shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento