Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times

Advertisements

We currently live in NW MT very close to Glacier Park. While we were born and raised in the bay area and I've been all over CA we haven't lived there in many years nor have we been back for at least 5 years. I want to move back but we are used to rural mountain living (our current city has 3k people) and do not have to live right next to malls and such, driving 15-20 miles to get to major stores is no biggie, (yes even in snow and ice) as long as there's a grocery store within 5 miles or so we're fine. Before you ask why we'd want to give up what we have I'll tell you... I can't take the severe cold anymore and the length of winter is killing me. I've got no problem with 3 months or so but 6-9 months is too much and as we don't do outside winter sports it gets very boring here. Yes it's gods country and beautiful but take right now for example it's 16 degrees outside and will only get to 27 or so. This will last for the next 5 months or so with weeks where 16 will be the high.

Anyway, looking for semi affordable (300k or less) 1600-2000 sqft in rural to semi rural with at least a decent high school.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 10:04 AM

13 posts, read 54,883 times
Default Have you looked at Placerville?

We did some looking right outside of Placerville (diamond springs, el dorado, etc.) and found home prices to be pretty reasonable. Those areas are a little more rural, but not far from groceries and shopping. For major shopping, I think you would have to drive about half an hour or so. We loved the landscape out there and actually put an offer on a house, before we were given an ultimatum by my suburban family not to take the kids "into the hills"...
The plus side is, you might still see a little snow up there, but certainly not as much as you're getting now!
I don't know too much about the schools up in that region.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:07 AM

13 posts, read 54,883 times
Default I just noticed...

Someone actually posted some great information about the Placerville/Foothills area. You may want to check out that thread
//www.city-data.com/forum/sacra...ock-pines.html

Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Hey jimj, welcome to the California posts! I read a lot of your posts on the Montana forum and enjoy your level-headed approach.

There are a number of places in California that would probably fit your living requirements. I would stay north of LA since you are used to some "elbow room" in Montana. If you can stand hot summers you can still find small parcels (1 to 5 acres of land) in the Central valley. The area between Sacramento and Redding is beautiful and still is semi-rural. If you don't like the heat, start going toward the foothills that have a more moderate climate.
For example, about 15 miles outside Chico or Oroville will get you into more affordable agricultural areas, but you would still have access to services and quality amenities, i.e. good hospital, a university, etc.

If you can tolerate 1 to 2 months of winter (not as cold as Montana), take a look at Grizzly Flat outside Placerville. It is rural, every bit as beautiful as Montana in my opinion, and still affordable. Good Luck.

PS When you arrive I hope we are more hospitable than some of the posts I have been reading on the Montana forum. I hope I never have to read one that says, "All the Montanans are moving here and ruining California"

Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM

261 posts, read 1,350,834 times
Hey. I'm from one of the small, mountain towns of CA. I'd go back in a heartbeat if there were any kind of job market to keep me alive. But here are some beautiful towns that are far away from the cities; I mean an hour to the nearest city of 50,000 + or -. These towns I'll mention are mostly less expensive than the Sac area, but they also don't have good jobs. So if you're retired or have a big savings account, check out these places. Most are in far, far Northern CA. Most, if not all of these places will get snow in the Winter. But you will get 4 real seasons, and the cold does not last more than 4-5 months.

Mt. Shasta - more expensive, ski resort town. 1 hr North of Redding
Mc Cloud
Lake Shastina - in the valley, but 15 minutes from Mt. Shasta
Burney - 1 hr East of Redding
Fall River - 1 hr East of Redding
Alturas - North East of Redding, way out there
Weaverville - 1 hr West of Redding
Truckee - More expensive. Between Reno and Sacramento
Chester
Clear Lake
Paradise - 20 minutes from Chico
Magalia - 20 minutes from Chico

Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
Most, if not all of these places will get snow in the Winter. But you will get 4 real seasons, and the cold does not last more than 4-5 months.

Mt. Shasta - more expensive, ski resort town. 1 hr North of Redding
Mc Cloud
Lake Shastina - in the valley, but 15 minutes from Mt. Shasta
Burney - 1 hr East of Redding
Fall River - 1 hr East of Redding
Alturas - North East of Redding, way out there
Weaverville - 1 hr West of Redding
Truckee - More expensive. Between Reno and Sacramento
Chester
Clear Lake
Paradise - 20 minutes from Chico
Magalia - 20 minutes from Chico

Hope this helps.
jimj, volleyballer's list above expands more specifically on my recommendations. I would caution on one choice, that is Truckee.
Winter doesn't last 6 to 9 months, but it can be just as cold or colder than Montana. On some days, the weather service reports it is the coldest spot in the nation. Also, it probably has more tourists than you could tolerate, both Winter (close to Squaw Valley) and Summer (One of the few towns with services between Sac and SF, and directly on I-80.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:03 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Other cities that might be to your liking are Susanville, Chester, and Quincy. Plumas and Lassen counties have some affordable areas.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM

112 posts, read 381,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We currently live in NW MT very close to Glacier Park. While we were born and raised in the bay area and I've been all over CA we haven't lived there in many years nor have we been back for at least 5 years. I want to move back but we are used to rural mountain living (our current city has 3k people) and do not have to live right next to malls and such, driving 15-20 miles to get to major stores is no biggie, (yes even in snow and ice) as long as there's a grocery store within 5 miles or so we're fine. Before you ask why we'd want to give up what we have I'll tell you... I can't take the severe cold anymore and the length of winter is killing me. I've got no problem with 3 months or so but 6-9 months is too much and as we don't do outside winter sports it gets very boring here. Yes it's gods country and beautiful but take right now for example it's 16 degrees outside and will only get to 27 or so. This will last for the next 5 months or so with weeks where 16 will be the high.

Anyway, looking for semi affordable (300k or less) 1600-2000 sqft in rural to semi rural with at least a decent high school.
Any ideas?
If it were 5 years later I'd offer to make a trade with you. 1830 sq ft home on a little over an acre in pines of Magalia CA. I can't wait to get back to the wide open spaces (oroginally from Western SD)

Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
I appreciate all the responses! Just to add that I used to drive charter buses from SF to reno/tahoe and did hazmat pickups at all the caltrans stations in the sierras and all of N.CA so I'm familiar with the mountains. The problem is I've not been back in the state for years and as y'all know things change pretty rapidly.

Thanks again, gotta go out and warm up the snow blower, currently 10 degrees outside and we're expecting to get smacked with snow for the next week!

Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Hey Jim! I can't believe you haven't checked out my area after all the posts we've made in the real estate forum. If you come down to avoid the snow on a scouting trip, look me up.

Meanwhile, I'll bang the Calaveras County drum again

Calaveras County California Gold Country, Wine Country, Big Trees, Sierra skiing, Yosemite vacations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento